Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #1

power cord

We have a x23b and when I try putting the power cord away it's like I run out of room.
I get a little more than half of it in then have to really push and cram. By the time we get down to about 3 ft or so it gets to be a pretty good fight. The last bit ends up curled & kinked. I have already just wrapped it around the bumper.
I called the dealer they just said they didn't know of anyone else having this problem. Lots of help there!
Any ideas?
Djherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Before I converted my pull out shore power cable, I would pull it all the way out. I would then untwist it. When I was ready to leave, I started inserting the cable back in using a clockwise twist to the cable (coils up in storage box). After that when you pull the cable out twist in a counter clockwise direction. Worked most of the time. When you get sick and tired of fighting with this, see my album... I have a section with pictures on how to convert to a plug in cable.

Good Luck
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I don't have any issues with my X17A. Power cord pulls out and easily goes right back in. Love the way it is. I guess I am use to my popup.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

I don't have any problem with mine and I'm sure it's the same length as I have in my 21' Hybrid.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #5

I have this same problem with our 23B. Such a pain if I pull the cord al the way out. I dread the process of getting it back in!
scottyt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #6

Same problem with my X23B. I beat up my fingers every time trying to get it back in. Gonna start wearing gloves.
Camper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Same problem with my X23B. I beat up my fingers every time trying to get it back in. Gonna start wearing gloves.
Know what you mean....busted knuckles and skinned fingers got old.....gloves go on now every time....was leaving a lot of dried blood back there around that hole!!!!!

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

I just don't get all the anguish with your shore cords.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #9

Pretty common. Design Engineers have never camped before! Busted knuckles on my 24 RBS as well. I try to twist it as well, like Mustang65 above. It seems to go in much better when the sun has been shining on the cord, making it a bit more flexible.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #10

I bust my knuckles all the time, but I always find the best approach is to pull it all the way out and then feed it back in. You want to try to feed in as much as possible before the cord doubles back on itself inside...you can feel what this happens. I'm pretty good at it now, but still shed some skin every time
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

I guess my X17A is designed really well because I have had it in and out multiple times with zero issues. Goes in and out like it is on a reel. I am glad because I prefer the cord the way it is rather than detachable. Uses an area that is not accessible for anything else instead of taking up valuable storage space elsewhere plus the biggie is there is never a chance I leave the cord at home. Which can easily happen when in a rush.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #12

I pull the cord all the way out each time, but when i feed it back in no problem , i mean you are shoving a fairly large cord into a small space so it can be a bit of a struggle just my two
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #13

2014 x20e.
I swear it takes me longer to get that stupid cord into that hole than it does to set up the whole camper.
I usually pull and push it all the way out and in at least twice.
I'm going to ask my dealer about it when I bring her in end of season.
Itsmeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #14

We have a 23B, our 4th Jayco. The shore power cord is harder to store on this model than the others. I'm guessing it's the compartment size.

I asked for advice on this forum a couple of weeks ago on how to retrofit to make the cable removable (plug-in). That's the reason.

And there is some good advice available on this forum.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmeamanda View Post
2014 x20e.
I swear it takes me longer to get that stupid cord into that hole than it does to set up the whole camper.
I usually pull and push it all the way out and in at least twice.
I'm going to ask my dealer about it when I bring her in end of season.
... not suggesting you do this, but it would be nice if you could quote and post their response. I'll bet it's at least amusing.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djherb View Post
We have a x23b and when I try putting the power cord away it's like I run out of room.
I get a little more than half of it in then have to really push and cram. By the time we get down to about 3 ft or so it gets to be a pretty good fight. The last bit ends up curled & kinked. I have already just wrapped it around the bumper.
I called the dealer they just said they didn't know of anyone else having this problem. Lots of help there!
Any ideas?
I really enjoy reading what dealers have to say. When your dealer says no one else has the problem then there are only two possibilities:

1) If no one else has this problem, then something is different with your trailer umbilical and it is not installed properly, or
2) if many people have this problem, there is a design defect.

Either way, your umbilical should usable with less hassle.

Good luck.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #17

I noticed this as well on my 23b, problem starts from the first wrap of cord when putting it back in. It wants to fold to the right side if the box which doesn't allow it to get a full length before it folds back over itself. It hits the side wall rather than the back. However if you convince the cord to fold the opposite direction it will allow that first fold over itself to happen in the very back of the compartment which then leaves room for the rest of the cord. No issue since.
Smitty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #18

Shore power cable get even harder to feed back in as the temperatures drop. If you are a fall camper as we are I got tired of feeding back that stiff cable and converted it to a removal cable. There are conversion kits available on line and this was not a difficult task to convert.
reedga1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:14 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
We have a 23B, our 4th Jayco. The shore power cord is harder to store on this model than the others. I'm guessing it's the compartment size.

I asked for advice on this forum a couple of weeks ago on how to retrofit to make the cable removable (plug-in). That's the reason.

And there is some good advice available on this forum.
This would be my guess as well. Each model likely has a somewhat different cord storage compartment dimension and the 23B must have one that is less user friendly.....Has not been an issue on our 28BHS even in cold weather, but I did push the plug end in too far one time and had to get one of my sons to reach in with his small arm and get it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #20
Lost in the Woods

It wouldn't be an easy retrofit for my X17A because I have no way to get in there. Only access points to that empty area is to take the converter out or through the outside port. Thankfully mine has no issues