Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #1

Power cord

I have a 2013 X 23B. I discovered that I have a burnt power cord and. First, what causes the burnt power cord and and how do I replace it? Can I replace just the plug or do I have to place the whole cord? And would a surge protector have helped,As I have never used one in the past. Thank you in advance!
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #2

You should carefully examined the entire cord for blisters or other signs of overheating. You may be able to rewrite a plug. It was likely caused by a loose outlet that allowed the blades on your plug to be loose and arc. A surge protector would have suffer the same fate and
May be more expensive to replace.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Yes the 30a amp ends can be replaced. They are available most anywhere that stocks rv parts.

Make sure the conductors are not damaged (discolored).
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadows11 View Post
I have a 2013 X 23B. I discovered that I have a burnt power cord and. First, what causes the burnt power cord and and how do I replace it? Can I replace just the plug or do I have to place the whole cord? And would a surge protector have helped,As I have never used one in the past. Thank you in advance!
Meadows11,
I assume you have a one piece cord that is permanently attached to the RV or a separate cord with a power inlet on the RV. Is the cord itself melted or literally burned at some point? Or is it just the plug spades? If the cord itself has a burned spot where it appears melted or turned to charcoal, then you would be better off just replacing the whole cord rather than trying to field splice around the burned area. If on the other hand it is just the plug, you can easily replace the plug by simply cutting the old one off and connecting a new one Being careful to match the wire colors of the cord with the same prong on the plug. Generally Green is the rounded ground prong, White is the Neutral Prong, and Black is the Hot prong and on a 50A, red is the other hot prong.

While I encourage you to purchase and use an EMS between your plug and the pedestal, that would likely not have saved you this time. We generally encounter loose or broken pedestal outlets and these will cause an arcing connection to whatever is plugged into it. The arcing creates heat which destroys the plug. I also would recommend you purchase an 18" dog-bone connector to use between the pedestal and your power cord or EMS. With one of these, if you encounter another bad pedestal outlet and plug into it, you will only lose the connector on the dog-bone and not your EMS or main power cord.

I hope this answers your questions, if not, ask more ........... Good luck with the repairs. ........ Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Meadows11 I also would recommend you purchase an 18" dog-bone connector to use between the pedestal and your power cord or EMS. With one of these, if you encounter another bad pedestal outlet and plug into it, you will only lose the connector on the dog-bone and not your EMS or main power cord.

........ Swampy
X2 and I use a 50 to 30 dog bone because the 50 gets very little use and so far they have been in very good condition.