Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #41

Lots of options on awning choices. We have an adjustable power awning on our 2012. The electric is easy to deploy. If I had my choice I would go with a manual awning. The electric awning has worked flawlessly, when it was new the stock setup was to deployed it flat, and absolutely no slope of any kind. I adjusted it so I have one click of adjustment by our door, and three clicks at the far end, the manual said no more than three clicks of adjustment between the two ends. When it was setup flat any amount of rain was to much for it, and the shocks that are used to deploy it would collapse (as designed) and dump the pooling rain water. Now that it is adjusted, I do not think it has ever needed to dump rain water.

The three main things I do not like about the electric awning; 1) I hit my head on the support beams all the time unless I hang something from the low points. 2) It feels light weight and unstable to withstand any amount of wind. 3) I am always concerned that the motor is going to fail and I have to figure out how to retract it (luckily I have never heard of this issue yet). What I like about the electric awning, the easy to deploy or close up from inside the HTT, no getting wet if it is raining. I do leave my awning out all night unless it truly looks like a bad storm, I have gotten up at night at closed it from the comforts of my trailer while staying dry. If it had been a manual awning I would have gone out and tipped it a bit more.

What I like about the manual awning; They feel strong and rigid. With two people they are extremely easy to open/close without needing the tool. They are extremely adjustable for tilt angle. You can remove the legs from the TT and mount it on the ground for easy of walking. I am not worried about hanging anything from the leading edge. I am not worried about heavier rain falls. Speed of setup is about the same as an electric once you have done it a few times. Downfall, If the weather comes up fast, and you want to close it, you will have to get wet. It maybe my imagination, but I think the manual awnings actual extend out from the TT a little farther than the electric awnings.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #42

We love our fully adjustable Dometic electric awning in our 2015 213x. Having had a tied down manual awning rip itself off the side of a previous camper I do not trust leaving even a well tied down awning out while gone.

Also, tying an awning down, or bringing the support legs down for extra security makes it an instant magnet for our dogs' leashes to get tangled up on while at the campsite.

One of the advantages of the 213x is anything we want to store out of the weather can fit under the giant rear slide!

John
Hensley Cub WDH, Tekonsha Primus IQ
perfpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #43

Again, thanks to all for a lively discussion. We are going with the power awning and hope that we don't need to test it in a storm. I am too short to wrestle with manual if needed and although my husband is tall, I may need to do this on my own. For us, the power awning seems easier and safer.

Once again, the power of the Forum is fabulous.
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #44

I think you will be happy with your choice. Enjoy your new camper!

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, x19h