Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #1

problems with the "T" handle latch

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the guts of the "T" handle type closing system. Just bought a used 2006 19H and broke the inside part of where the "T" handle goes on. The guy had a spare there since he had already broke at least one on the exact same spot.

Is there a way to fix this problem? I wish I had the newer style without the "T" wrench. That way you would have a way to lock it as well.
thanks
thriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #2

I'm not 100% sure what the "T" handle is but I think it's the closing system for the bunk boards. If so the latching system installed now is made by these folks and it appears you could order from them. Bolt holes would probably be different but.....
http://www.fastecindustrial.com/

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #3

Yes the "T" handle is for the bunks. Were you looking at the FIC Cargo Trailer Door Latch?
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #4

Yes, the cargo door latch. There's the piece you posted the pic of that mounts on the bed door. There's the second piece with a lever that the hooked part latches over. BTW, the pic as you have posted it is upside-down with respect to my installation. I looked at their web site again and note they mention the "bar Lock" as optional but don't show a picture. I assumed the bar and the latch were made by the same folks but I'm not sure now. The latch has a sticker with their web site listed but haven't noticed one on the bar. I'll try to remember to take a pic of the latch next time I'm at the storage.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #5

My 23B uses a small black T-handle that fits on a square pin that is recessed in the bunk end latches (2). So far mine are holding up but I think there was some lettering on them that indicated they were made in Germany. I think there was a thread on the hybrid explorer forum where someone was looking for a replacement.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Yes, the cargo door latch. There's the piece you posted the pic of that mounts on the bed door. There's the second piece with a lever that the hooked part latches over. BTW, the pic as you have posted it is upside-down with respect to my installation. I looked at their web site again and note they mention the "bar Lock" as optional but don't show a picture. I assumed the bar and the latch were made by the same folks but I'm not sure now. The latch has a sticker with their web site listed but haven't noticed one on the bar. I'll try to remember to take a pic of the latch next time I'm at the storage.
I talked to the company today at the link you gave me and he sent me a pdf drawing of the "bar lock" It looks just the same as the newer hybrids. Now I just need to find someone who has done it before.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #7

Can you post the PDF?

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 10-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

This is pretty close to what I've got.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trail...item5adae909ca

This guy has installed a set:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/565931085RsGZgF

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 10-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #9

[QUOTE=RedHorse1;39935]Can you post the PDF?[/QUOTE

It is too big for on here but it looks like the one on ebay. GREAT find on those other pictures. His is a bit different that my trailer but you can get the idea.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #10

T handle

I replaced my T bar locks cause the threads stripped. Had to jury rig the lock on vacation to get it closed. A bit nerve racking. Any way I inquired at my dealer about installing the newer latch and they told me I would need to change the whole bunk door. Apparently not.
Lounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller View Post
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the guts of the "T" handle type closing system. Just bought a used 2006 19H and broke the inside part of where the "T" handle goes on. The guy had a spare there since he had already broke at least one on the exact same spot.

Is there a way to fix this problem? I wish I had the newer style without the "T" wrench. That way you would have a way to lock it as well.
thanks
I did break the little square thing off after closing it one day, and had to go to the stealership and get a replacement. After about a month they finally got it in and I was able to drill out what was left enough to put a screw driver in there and unlock the bed board. This past weekend I talked with someone who has the barn style locks on his 2002 and he gave me the name of the company that supposedly supplies it to Jayco. I do not have the info with me at work, hopefully it is still in the camper. If so I will post up their name and web site (if they have one it is Amish owned) later.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #12

www.jaycorvparts.com -- look up your year, type and then model number---- I t will then give you a schematic of parts. You can then get the part number and order new T- latches.
vaskohop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #13

I tried the link you provided for parts and it didn't work.
I got a page not available error

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #14

Looks like the parts part of their website is down, I couldn't get to the page by the link or by searching. The main website is http://www.jaycofactorydirect.com/.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #15

While I don't have any problems with my "T" handle, I did manage to break off a key in one of the locks. The broken part of the key is inside of the lock. Anyone know how to get it out? Will I need to get a locksmith?
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #16

I would try:
- spray lubricant in lock and it might slip out enough to grab it.

- If part of the key is hanging out or you have managed to pull it part of the way, use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to pull it completely out.

- Try drilling a small hole into the key piece and insert a small screw in just a bit.

Good Luck

- Use a pick. I bought a set of picks at Home Depot. The sharp edge of the pick can be used to dig into a brass key if part of it is exposed.
vaskohop is offline   Reply With Quote