Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

propane automatic changeover

Hello-

I wish I took a better look before we left, but I didn't. So here I am!

We have a 19H, and when the bunks are down, it's pretty tricky to get the propane cover off and check the status of the tank indicator green light thing. To make matters worse, I think the indicator light window faces towards the rear of the trailer to make it even harder.

Anyone flip that stuff around to make it easier to deal with when the bunk is open? Or do I just need to look at it more to figure out how it works?

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Team

I would figure out a way to do it.

The indicator is useless if you can't see it but you would likely have to raise the bunk to swap the tank.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #3

Yeah you pretty much have to raise the bunk a bit to get the cover off.

But it's just annoying that the indicator "point to the tank" thing faces the rear of the trailer. I wonder if I can turn that around? Because then I might be able to at least see the light of the indicator through the top of the propane tank cover without having to take the tank cover off / raise the bunk.

We're at a seasonal site and are getting pretty lazy about closing the bunks when we leave (we camp there about every weekend).
Old 06-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #4

As you camp more and more, you’ll get a pretty good feel for how much propane you use and when one tank is about to run out. At that point, open the valve on the second tank and it will switch over automatically. When you get home, check the indicator to see if it’s red and, if so, fill the tank.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #5

Yes, absolutely can be mounted facing forward, mine came that way, and I have replaced it and the new one points out too. If you have a standard 2 tank rack with wing not top, you should be able to just disconnect both tanks and turn it to face forward, then connect the tanks with the opposite hoses (hoses shouldn't cross).

I have a hard cover, and it cannot be removed with the bunk down, but I generally take it off during setup if I think I might need a tank change during our stay. I used to have a soft cover, and it could slip off easily without lifting the bed tip out and the tank will come out of the rack easily as well.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #6

Our 19XUD only came with one propane bottle
When I fitted the second bottle, I debated an automatic changeover, but then I realised that would make it too easy to run out altogether.
Admittedly, it's a slight inconvenience, but having to run out and switch bottles tells me, in no uncertain terms, that I am on my last bottle, and it's time for a refill

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Our 19XUD only came with one propane bottle
When I fitted the second bottle, I debated an automatic changeover, but then I realised that would make it too easy to run out altogether.
Admittedly, it's a slight inconvenience, but having to run out and switch bottles tells me, in no uncertain terms, that I am on my last bottle, and it's time for a refill
I suppose it depends on how much propane you use. I use a bit more than one tank full in a season, so only run one tank empty each year. That gives me a lot of time to be checking the changeover indicator. I also tap off BOTH of my tanks before the regulator for Coleman stove and BBQ, so that is a pretty good indicator that I've got a tank out when one of them stops firing. The changeover just makes sure that my onboard gas appliances keep operating.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #8

You can also tap the side of the tank with a wrench or screw driver (that is if you can reach metal under the cover) you quickly learn the sound of an low or empty tank.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote

« Fresh water | Bed »