Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #1

Propane Question

Has anyone converted a single propane bottle to a double?
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #2

We carried a second bottle side by side but never swapped the regulator. It was easy enough to just unhook and hook up the full one. Plus I was never worried about having both empty.

Check the usual specifications that your tongue weight isn't too much.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #3

There have been many posts on the subject.

Generally speaking it is fairly easy to do. You do not mention which HTT you have. I suspect you have an older HTT, pre-2011(??), as that is about when they seamed to switch most to dual 20# tanks, except maybe the 17Z, which has a low CCC. So make sure to watch your tongue weight, as most of the new weight being added, will be distributed towards the tongue.

You can do it like TaftCoach did, or you can remove the regulator and install a new auto switching regulator, and a new tray. Make surer to use gas (Yellow) Teflon tape on the new threads, and check for leaks (I like kid's bubble solution).

It is an easy swap.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #4

I added a second tank to my pup camper. Just added a double tank holder to the A-frame where the single bottle had been and used a couple of self-tap bolts to hold it in place. The rack slipped right between the rails already in place for the single tank.
Cheap and easy.

Like @TaftCoach we didn't upgrade the regulator, but then I used the second tank to fuel the camp stove and BBQ, so could place it anywhere away from the camper. The second tank could be manually swapped in if the primary ran out so we could run the fridge or furnace until the primary was refilled.

It would be pretty easy to add a dual regulator as well. The tank rack generally comes with a mount on the center post for a double regulator.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #5

Thank you everyone for the help. We are going to travel across the country. We just replaced the AC and the water heater.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
Has anyone converted a single propane bottle to a double?
Do a quick search on Amazon. You can purchase a double tray and dual regulator (automatic or manual switching) as well as a double cover. All this should get you where you need to be. You cay have to buy a small hose extension from a hardware store or an RV parts store to extend your existing gas line or there may be enough slack to where you don't have to worry about this.

The upgrade is extremely easy and completely worth it. This was one of the first things I did to our 16XRB when we bought it. Good luck.
adamdsgn is offline   Reply With Quote