Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #1

Propane splitter/tee/y-adapter

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum & just purchased a "new to me" 2010 Jayco 17z. This trailer has a single 30lb propane tank and it does not have the quick connect BBQ adapter I see on the new 2012 models. I don't want to have to worry about transporting a 2nd tank so I'm looking for a way to share the 30lb tank on the trailer with the BBQ. I don't feel like spending the money for parts and labor to have an RV dealer cut into the existing propane system to add a BBQ line. I was hoping for an adapter that would connect to the existing tank and have 2 fittings, one to connect the trailer and one to connect the BBQ. It would also have to have a way to have the propane on when nothing is connected to the 2nd outlet as the BBQ would not always be connected. Does such a device exist? Or, has anyone made something up and what was the parts list? Thanks for you help!
cablerum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #2

Cablerum, there are several threads already going with this same question... here's one:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=6151

Remember, search is your friend

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Cablerum, there are several threads already going with this same question... here's one:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=6151

Remember, search is your friend
Thanks, but that link is not really what I'm asking. I tried searching. I'm not wanting to add a BBQ connect such as the one shown in your link. I'm looking for an adapter that screws directly to the propane tank which in turn gives the tank a dual outlet. The trailer will be connected to one & a BBQ or any other propane appliance could be connected to the other when the need arises. When nothing needs to be connected to the 2nd outlet I need to be able to still turn on the propane for the trailer but not have gas leak out from the unused outlet. I don't want to cut into or tamper with the existing propane system. Hopefully this clarifies my question. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #4

This is exactly what I'm looking for:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...andwheel/55146

But I'm wondering that when something is only connected to one side can you have the propane on without it leaking out the open side?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #5

I was wondering the same thing and hubby says if there is nothing plugged in the propane can't come out. Some safety thing, not like the old days when you could just open the tank and it would come out.
dedeanddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #6

Ok, you beat me to it... after I reread your post and realized what you were after, I remembered seeing that in a recent Camping World catalog I received. Glad you found it.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeanddon View Post
I was wondering the same thing and hubby says if there is nothing plugged in the propane can't come out. Some safety thing, not like the old days when you could just open the tank and it would come out.
Yes, I remember the old style tanks you could open and blow off the propane in the tank. I realize that the new ones don't "blow off" for lack of a better term, but wondering if it is safe to use all the time will 0% leakage on the open side? Maybe I could also find some sort of cap to cover that side when not in use. Any suggestions on a cap or cover that screws on? Then it would be like a double protection, the safety valve plus a cap.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #8

cablerum-- the unused side will not leak, if you take your gas line off of your tank you will see the part that goes into the fitting on the tank that releases the gas. To your other question, you can buy a cap so you will feel good. Larry
Old 03-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #9

You can connect a quick connect to the T at the stove @the bottom of the trailer . Hope this helps
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Here is the one I ordered for our Coleman grill and Camp Chef stove if I remember right (think that's the one). Only complaint I read about it and had myself, is the threads need to be sealed. Just buy some yellow Teflon tape (gas rated) and you are good to go!!!

That is the one I bought.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #11

I just ordered Stay Flow Plus - Mr. Heater F273735 - Propane Hoses and Adapters - Camping World to connect my Coleman NXT 200 grill to my RV tanks. I will let you know how it works once I get it and try it out.
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #12

Check this one out at Amazon. Has a cap off for the BBQ line when not connected.

Robot Check

ETA: not sure why that says Robot Check, but the link seems to work. If at all concerned go to Amazon and look up Camco 59143 for the kit we use.

Looks similar to the stayflow above, but with the hand tightener grip, and $20 cheaper on Amazon.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:55 PM   #13

Well the one I bought from camping world doesn't work. Don't know why. The hose screws into the regulator but I can't get any propane to flow. I know I'm getting propane to the end that connects to the bottle because when I unscrew it, it's under pressure and propane comes out. But for whatever reason the end that screws into the regulator won't engage. I can unscrew the hose and screw a 16oz propane bottle in and it works fine so I know it's not my grill.
6 Speed Manual
Old 04-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #14

Make sure you turn on the propane slowly both at the tank and at BBQ control. There are flow check valves both in the tank and regulator that could trigger if there is a sudden rush of propane.

Also, allow enough time for the propane to fill the hose and evacuate the air. Honestly I've never noticed this in the High Pressure system like this, but I know on the Low Pressure system in the trailer that it can take a couple of minutes of blowing air before my stove gets enough gas to actually light. It's long enough to be worrisome the first few times, especially as the air blows with enough pressure to keep blowing out the lighter.

Of course you could also have a legitimate shut off happening. Are you sure all connections on the new hose and fittings are tight and well made? Also, are you getting propane down the other branch and into the trailer? If you can light your indoor stove, that would point to the hose or fitting for the BBQ.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #15

I went in and lit the stove inside the camper and it worked fine. Couldn't even hear air flowing from the grill. It was completely dead. I know everything was tight. I know propane was getting into the hose from the end that is closest to the bottle. For whatever reason it wouldn't pass the end of the hose that attaches to the grill.
6 Speed Manual
Old 04-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #16

So it is only the branch to the BBQ, and the BBQ itself seems fine as it will work with a 1lb TA tank, so the pressure valve at the regulator seems to be okay.

I can't check mine, it's in storage right now. The end of the hose that connects to the tank Y adapter has a male extension in the middle, that I think opens a pressure valve inside the Y adapter connection (can't confirm, but you can see this in the Amazon pictures). It is possible that they are not connecting properly, or that something is misassembled in the device. At this point I would probably return it as defective, or see if the vendor offers any kind of support.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnik78 View Post
Well the one I bought from camping world doesn't work. Don't know why. The hose screws into the regulator but I can't get any propane to flow. I know I'm getting propane to the end that connects to the bottle because when I unscrew it, it's under pressure and propane comes out. But for whatever reason the end that screws into the regulator won't engage. I can unscrew the hose and screw a 16oz propane bottle in and it works fine so I know it's not my grill.
Farnik,

You screwed the T that came in the kit directly into one of the propane tanks, correct? Or is it screwed in after the tt regulator? Without pics just want to verify it is before the regulator. I know crazy question, but better to start with the obvious....

Have you tried blowing air through only the hose with an air compressor by chance? Maybe a bad hose??? Or if the grill end is unhooked will gas flow then out the hose? Or do you have another propane unit you could try hooking up? Or borrow one from a neighbor to try? Maybe the hose and your grill's regulator don't like each other (not compatible???).

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote