Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2020, 02:45 AM   #1

PUGs keep the tent ends 30 degrees cooler

Hi everyone, I know there are a lot of threads about the PUGs and word of mouth about how good they are, so I thought I’d post some pics to show actual numbers of how effective they are. I installed them on my X23B but they will be as effective in all pop up and hybrid tent ends.

The conditions were as follows:
The “without PUG” measurement was taken at 1:00pm, with the sun directly overhead the rear tent end. The ambient air temperature was 85, and the temp gauge showed 120 deg F on the tent roof (see pic). Then I put the PUG on, waited 15 minutes for it to cool off (measured the temp multiple times until it stopped decreasing), and at 1:15pm it read 89 deg F. That’s only four degrees above ambient and a whopping 30 degrees cooler than without the PUGs!

So, if you’re on the fence or haven’t gotten them yet, I highly recommend them. They keep the whole trailer much cooler. Additional benefits:
-slightly darker for naps
-keeps warmer at night and in winter
-decreases condensation by keeping tent end warmer at night
-keeps your tent end roof clean from sap and bird droppings
-Stays secure in the wind (I recommend the super high wind version with Velcro)
-very easy to install and remove, and you can even keep them velcroed and the top and just undo the elastic strings and fold them up with the tent beds

I hope this helps anyone considering PUGs or hybrids in general.
Attached Thumbnails
6B2B8F17-EE70-47FF-804B-B3A50922C32D.jpg   C31A56AB-9092-413A-9BC1-3FE125FD9009.jpg   45641C9C-250C-4AC2-925C-71DD69A43CB7.jpg  
Fourkids&abeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:41 AM   #2

X2 on that...

We have been using PUGS for some time - originally on our pop-up, as intended, and now on our hybrid, and they certainly make a difference, in Florida sunshine.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourkids&abeagle View Post
Hi everyone, I know there are a lot of threads about the PUGs and word of mouth about how good they are, so I thought Iíd post some pics to show actual numbers of how effective they are. I installed them on my X23B but they will be as effective in all pop up and hybrid tent ends.

The conditions were as follows:
The ďwithout PUGĒ measurement was taken at 1:00pm, with the sun directly overhead the rear tent end. The ambient air temperature was 85, and the temp gauge showed 120 deg F on the tent roof (see pic). Then I put the PUG on, waited 15 minutes for it to cool off (measured the temp multiple times until it stopped decreasing), and at 1:15pm it read 89 deg F. Thatís only four degrees above ambient and a whopping 30 degrees cooler than without the PUGs!

So, if youíre on the fence or havenít gotten them yet, I highly recommend them. They keep the whole trailer much cooler. Additional benefits:
-slightly darker for naps
-keeps warmer at night and in winter
-decreases condensation by keeping tent end warmer at night
-keeps your tent end roof clean from sap and bird droppings
-Stays secure in the wind (I recommend the super high wind version with Velcro)
-very easy to install and remove, and you can even keep them velcroed and the top and just undo the elastic strings and fold them up with the tent beds

I hope this helps anyone considering PUGs or hybrids in general.
I agree they do work for sure, and I love them. But the way you are measuring them isn't correct. You are showing the temperature of the tents, which is radiating heat into the bunks. Not the ambient temperature inside the bunk ends, a true test would be to use an actual thermometer.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #4

Thanks! I love ours, other than clipping them on. Can you post a pic of the velcro install? Just stick to the outside of the canvas at the top?
Morttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #5

Hey Mort,
Hereís a picture of where the Velcro at the top end of the PUG attaches to the lip of the trailer. Note that itís not the underside of the rain shield, itís the horizontal surface where the actual bed end folds up and meets the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
E8F31AA6-EA0E-4AC1-82E5-65CD6CC63B5C.jpg  
Fourkids&abeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #6

Thanks! That's way easier than clipping on every time!
Morttt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrids, pugs, tent ends, x23b