Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #1

Question on the X18D

Hi All! Haven't picked up our new second home yet as it's in Iowa and we're in AZ. But we're hoping to get there in the next two weeks to bring him home.

My husband and I were wondering if one propane tank is enough for this trailer or if we should get two while we pick the trailer up? We're camping all the way home with our three boys and for awhile we'll be out of any area to get more propane to keep the frig running.

We eat very little processed food so fresh food is important to me. Therefore, keeping the frig running at all times is extremely important as well.

This is our first trailer so we really don't know what to expect. Would love any suggestions you all might have for us. It will be hard because we have to drive up our supplies and try to outfit the trailer while we're in Iowa before we head back down. Probably be a bit bare bones this trip.

ANY other suggestions on what we HAVE to have that the dealer won't supply? They said they give us everything we need to camp including TP but then someone asked us if we have sewer hoses (?!) and a spare jack for the spare tire. Why would I need a spare? Any suggestions just might save my life!

Thanks so much!!

Kim
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #2

Hey Kim! If you can mount two on the front as an option that is always nice so you can carry a spare. Your biggest use of propane will be the furnace, and second would be your water heater. I am not sure if that model has a dual electric/gas water heater - so you may not used much if you have electricity. Your fridge will use very little propane. I went out about 10 days earlier this summer and used the equivalent of a 20lb worth of propane.

I also believe that model has the 20 lb tanks - the nice thing about that is it is really easy to find a place to swap them. I am not a big fan of the swap (that is another thread), but in a pinch it works out well.

They will probably give you a basic sewer hose. I like the Rhinoflex kit as an upgrade - much better and comes with all the fittings. You do want to have a spare tire in my opinion. If you shred one - it is not always easy to find one in a pinch. Many insurance companies provide free roadside service, so you might check with them and see.

The dealer can help you get what you need when you get going - sewer hose, water hose, drop ins for the toilet, TP, and a few wheel chocks are about all you need to hit the road (I am sure I am forgetting something...lol)... Don't get too much in a hurry to buy all of your accessories right away if you can help it....try it for a few days and see what you think you need. Plan your trip around a few Camping Worlds and pick yourself up a catalog at the first one and look around. Sit in the camper and go through it page by page and see what kind of things would work well for you. Then make a second stop at the next CW and pick it up. Many folks (including me) make the mistake of getting all excited and getting accessories they think they need only to find out they are not that useful after you get inside of it.

Hope that helps!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #3

The propane tank is 30 lb. I've heard it lasts a very long time with just the fridge, but I haven't had ours long enough to test that. I hate having only one tank because I don't want to run out. I didn't buy the propane gauge from the dealer, but I'm hoping to still pick one up on sale at some point. That right there will be a little piece of mind, not having to fear running out of propane. The water heater is propane only, but again I haven't used it enough to know how much fuel it takes. I've only even lit it on one camping trip, generally we just do without. Probably the $30 for the propane gauge from the dealer would have been a good investment. So far it has only run on propane in transit, and for one half day when the CG power went out. For what it is worth, my parents have a 23B they bought 2 years ago with dual 20lb tanks. They run the fridge on propane in transit, and have yet to go through their first tank.

The basic sewer hose that comes with it is junk. I keep it as a backup only. A decent hose and fittings will help a lot. There were plenty of little things like that that they get you with. Kind of annoying in my opinion. For example, why not simply make the furnace exhaust with an insect screen already? Why make us pay another $30 (or whatever it was) just to buy a screen to put over it?

congrats on the new purchase. We are loving all the space in that x18d. people see it from the outside and think it is very small, and when they step in they are blown away by how much room is in it. Last weekend a friend with a 30' coachmen bunkhouse looked inside and couldn't believe how much bigger it felt than his.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #4

We just finished 25 days (dry) in Northern Ont. We have a single 30 on our 17C. So the refrigerator ran on it all 25 days. We use the water heater periodically and the furnace a couple of really cool mornings. I had it refilled when we got home and found we used 21 pounds. I carry a separate tank for bbq and portable stove. Don't like to cook in the trailer.
Lounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. Will make sure to buy the propane gauge. Would never remember when we last filled the tank! Thanks so much!!

Kim
Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxKim View Post
Thanks for the info. Will make sure to buy the propane gauge. Would never remember when we last filled the tank! Thanks so much!!

Kim
I would not waste money on the gauge if it is a pressure type. the pressure of the gas above the liquid in the tank is going to remain fairly constant until the tank is empty. the gauges that are actually scales can be pretty accurate if you know the empty weight of the cylinder but you have to unbolt the tank so that you can lift it. The easiest and quickest way to tell how much liquid propane is left in the tank is to pour some hot water over the tank. after pouring hot water over the tank slide your hand down the side until you feel a temperature change from warm to cool, thats the level of liquid propane in the tank. There are magnetic strips that do the same thing but change color at the level of liquid when you pour warm water over the tank.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #7

That is BRILLIANT! Thanks for the tip. I was just disregarding all those other ones on Amazon because they were far too cheap! You saved me money. Thanks ever so much!

Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwill View Post
The easiest and quickest way to tell how much liquid propane is left in the tank is to pour some hot water over the tank. after pouring hot water over the tank slide your hand down the side until you feel a temperature change from warm to cool, thats the level of liquid propane in the tank. There are magnetic strips that do the same thing but change color at the level of liquid when you pour warm water over the tank.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #8

I tap my hand against the tank with my wedding ring. After you do this for a while, you can "learn" the sound of the tank about how full it is. Not very scientific, but you can hear a distinct sound between being full and empty and it gives you a fairly good idea where you stand.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #9

Kim-- Don't forget a good pair of rubber gloves to wear when emptying the" tanks". Larry
Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #10

Kim-- I f you have an extra 20 LB tank from your home bbq just throw it in your tv for insurance, while you test the limits of your tt tank. Larry
Old 09-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #11

tafische is bang-on with the wedding ring method (any tapping instrument will do). I asked the question about gauges myself and I think it was "taf" that suggested the ring-tap. I've used one of the color-changing strips in the past and would suggest you spend the $ on adult beverages instead (more useful). Weighing would be the most accurate I suspect but too much trouble.
Has anyone seen a 10# tank? like a "pony bottle" cave divers sometimes use. A 10# backup to a 30# tank would be like a 30% reserve.
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #12

Well be forewarned too like I said in the other thread - using your wedding ring for unintended uses can get you in trouble -- Mine is no longer round and has developed a crack...but I figure if I have not lost it in 20 years I am doing something right..lol...

They do make 4.5lb and 11lb tanks (and I am sure a few others) - but they are generally pretty expensive compared to a 20lb tank.

There are apparently some of the new gauges on the tanks that actually have some kind of float in the tank - now those should be accurate. I have not heard from anyone as to how well they work over the long haul.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #13

I figure I'm pretty safe using the ring (we just wrapped up 36 years) since I'll be making sure the bride gets her breakfast and a hot shower. Not likely to damage it since it's titanium.
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #14

Wow - you guys are FANTASTIC! I've been out shopping for a tow vehicle all day and am exhausted! LOVE the tip for gloves - FOR MY HUSBAND! ; ). I put the food in and he will deal with the result. Great trade, I think. I love how you've all been married forever. We're just 11 years but I'm sure camping helps. LOVE the tip to save money on gauges to buy adult beverages. I'm gonna run with that one. Hubby hates it when I say, "But I saved so much over here so...". I tell him that I'm saving us right into the poor house. At least I'll have a new, paid-for trailer to go live in!

You guys are the best! And thanks.

Kim
Old 09-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #15

I just tried the hot water thing yesterday and that worked awesome. A little hot water is cheaper and easier than gauges or weighing the tank. Glad to have come across that advice here
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #16

Have been on several trips with dual 20's and am really surprised to see how little was used. This is running fridge and water heater in transit and parked...had no electric at last 2 sites. Brought the tanks for fill yesterday and paid the minimum to fill them both - 5 lbs in one and 11 in the other. Seems to last a really long time to me.

Haven't had to run the furnace much yet though. I do have the RVQ and use the propane jack for that to cook on though.

Have fun!
Equalizer E2 6000
EXTremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #17

We're going camping this weekend with ours. We got a full bottle when we bought the camper earlier this year, and I just checked it this morning and it's got a hair less than 2 gallons left in it. Since it's going to be a cold weekend at nights here (down in the 30s) I'm going to fill it up tomorrow before we leave town. We've several camps on it...1 night stay, 2 night stay (used the furnace one night since it was chilly), a 3 nighter, and two 6 night stays. All of those save for the one were without furnace. We did use our oven to cook brownies twice, and I made the boneheaded mistake of driving 2 hours with an oven burner turned on.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there were a couple days in between there where we used the LP to power the fridge while we were en route to Disney World as well.
geoffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote