Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #1

Questions for X23B owners

My wife and I periodically toy with the idea of moving from a 1007 PUP to a hybrid, but only if it was a substantial change in size, like the 20E or 23B, with a slide-out.

We really hate the 1007's U-shaped dinette because it's in front of the front, king-size bed and forces us to climb over to get into bed. That experience gives us a negative vibe on the 20E or 23B. Granted, our U-dinette has a pole with a table top, not an independent table that can be slid out of the way.

That said, since both beds are queens, we figure we'd probably end up in the back. That would leave the guests (expected to be our young daughter and friend or occasionally our older daughters) with crawling over the dinette. So maybe it's not a big deal.

We realize the 23B is a very popular layout. Are we the only ones with this objection?

We see the advance of having the U adjacent to the sofa. With a large group and, say, rain outside, it could be a nice conversation and TV watching setup.

Lastly, is anyone towing a 20E or 23B with anything less than a 1/2t-ton truck, Tahoe, Expedition, Sequoia or equivalent? We'd love to stay with a Traverse/Durango/Explorer but are thinking that's not enough TV for a 20E or 23B.
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #2

On the U shaped dinette, its personal preference. In fact that's what we wanted. We put the table outside for more room inside, so the dinette becomes a nice easy step into the bed instead of having to pull ourselves up or jump down. Our old Kiwi 17a had the same setup.

You will love the slide. It's small but adds huge amounts of floor space and the couch is very comfortable.

We towed our X20E with a Trailblazer for one summer. It was adequate at best (although that was not the sole reason we replaced it). Not a combination I would have used to tow on long trips or in mountains. Anytime you push the limits of a tow vehicle you'll know it. So a Traverse/Durango/Explorer type SUV can tow these, but you'll be running into your towing limits and not be nearly as happy with a 1/2 ton PU or SUV. Of those you listed the only one that would be in the range of being able to comfortably tow these is the Durango. With the other 2 you'd be right at their limits and probably over on payload. And even the Durango might suffer from a low payload.

You will find tons of people towing the X20E or X23B with similar mid-sized SUVs and tell you "its not a problem". True enough, it won't be a problem, but it is limited. And I believe that most who say this haven't had the pleasure of towing with more margin in their specs. I've towed two different combos over the years at close to capacity. There is a marked improvement when you tow with a proper sized tow vehicle.

The other comment I can make on that is that gas mileage and insurance isn't any more for my Sierra that it was for the Trailblazer. And we like it a whole lot more.

The Sierra in my sig tows the X20E without breaking a sweat. I would not hesitate to tow it on a long trip, in fact we're planning something long for Sept. of 2015.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #3

If your thinking of going used this is the inside of my 2010 EXP21M and they made this model for 3 years 09-11. The slide will extend 36" and it's level at the floor. The slide has4 windows that give you plenty of light and it has maximum floor space and a big open feeling. The 2010 can be had for around $12,000 and it weighs in at 4700 lbs. I tow it with my 2013 VW Touareg TDI that has a limit of 7,700 lbs. with out the TT I get 33 mpg, with TT flat road 23 and with hills I'll get 19. Absolutely love this car it drives like a dream. I have a GMC for hauling stuff but I'm just not a truck guy for the long hauls so we bought the Touareg .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #4

I bought a 2014 X23B this year and love it. That said, I slept in the front bunk once and I won't do it again. After a night of stepping over someone sleeping on the dinette so that I could get to the bathroom, I made a new rule. The rear bunk is mine and nobody else can sleep there! The rear bunk is perfect. It gives just enough of an escape for the woman and I to get away from the chaos of the kids up front. And, as a person who gets frequent migraines I need that little bit of privacy when I need to lie down. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the X23B. I love the space that the dinette offers and the couch is very comfortable. The kids actually fight over who gets to sleep on it! Another thing I like is that you can see the TV from anywhere up front. The trailer has a very smartly designed floor plan that doesn't waste any space. And, it has a lot of storage for a hybrid. As for the tow vehicle, I have an F150 Ecoboost so I can't say how it would tow with a smaller vehicle. I will say that I am new to towing a trailer, and I definitely know that it's back there! Good luck!
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

We love our 23b, the space, we love the u shape dinnette sit around it play games we pull it with a 2000 ford f150 w/ 4.2 v6, it will tow up to 65 mph no prob ,we stay away from alot of big hills but in texas there is plenty to camp with no hills so no prob
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #6

We love our new X23B and tow it with our RAM 1500 Quad Cab. We have the 3.6L Pentastar V6 with the 8 speed trans, and it has towed the 23B very well on both the flats and in the Vermont mountains.

We sleep on the back bunk. My wife goes to sleep a little earlier than me, and that allows me to keep the lights on without disturbing her. Likewise, she is up earlier than me so she doesn't disturb me at all when she is up in the morning.

Overall, we like the U-shaped dinette and how it allows us the option of turning it into a long bed when we decide to turtle. We may choose to turtle at a rest stop, Walmart, cold temps, etc. It is nice to know we have access to a human sized bed while turtled if we need it. We also like the fact that the table is removable, so it clears up that space in case we need the room.

Overall, we are extremely happy with the X23B and we intend to keep this trailer a long time.

Joe
Old 08-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #7

I moved from a similar popup to a 2012 x20e. For the first year and a half I used a 2008 Sequoia as TV. It did a good job and I regularly ventured into the Adirondacks and Catskills so hills were no issue. Moved to a Tundra last fall and now barely know the trailer is back there. I did know w the Sequoia but not is a bad way.

I too claim the back bunk and put the kids up front. The large dining table was a must for me. Have 5 daughters plus friends. Typically camp with at least 4 girls. The table size if great. I have never heard a complaint from any of them about the climb.

2016 Jayco x213
2012 Toyota Tundra
Mainenebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #8

Tunce, I looked at the Touareg. WOW!!

VW is very proud of it and the pricing reflects it!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #9

We have a 23B and love it. We sleep up front. We turn the table sideways and usually it is in front of half of the jsofa. It is great extra counter for prepping meals, playing games and so forth. I could not imagine the DW and myself sleeping in back. I would think it would be difficult to get in and out without disturbing the other.

We tow with a Dakota 4.6L V8 4x4. Tows like a dream, been out west in the big mountain passes with no issues all.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Tunce, I looked at the Touareg. WOW!!

VW is very proud of it and the pricing reflects it!
Bought it on internet sales and got 5 bids from dealers within 300 miles and bought the TDI Sport for $43,500 + tax and tags.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:01 PM   #11

We like our X23B. We sleep in the rear bunk while the kids negotiate over the front bunk, table bed and sofa. The slide out makes for enough space for the six of us. We tow with a Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab with front bench that has the Pentastar V6, TF 8 speed and the all important 3.55 rear axle ratio. It gets about the same gas mileage as our old minivan when not towing. And it hauls more gear whether using the bed or aftermarket racks or tailgate pad.

The pic above was taken before we placed the bikes on the tailgate pad (shown).
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #12

Sebring... You're doing what I need to figure out how to do. I have two 14' sea kayaks that I'd like to take along, but I have a hard shell bed cover on my truck. There's never enough room! Haha
12VOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #13

We have a 2005 which only has a full bed in the back so the wife and I sleep in the front. Move the table out at bed time so we are not climbing over it to get in and out of bed. Some times we just fold the legs and stand it up on the couch and sometimes we use it outside so it is already out of the way.

2005 Jayco Jay Feather 23B -- current
1999 Chevy Suburban 1500 -- current

2001 Coleman Bayside Elite
2003 GMC Sonoma ZR2 Quad Cab
Jhmlbrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #14

We used the rear bunk in our X23B. Climbing out of the front was always an issue in the night. It was also a bit quieter when the A/C was on. When it was just the bride and I travelling we left the table at home.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #15

We have a 2004 X23B. Our family of 6 with kids age 1 to 11 fit just fine in it. 3 kids on 1 bunk, the baby with us on the other bunk. We've flip-flopped between the rear and front bunks, but really don't have any issues with climbing over the dinette. We turn the table sideways when it's bedtime. We've had an uncle and the grandparents sleep with us one night in a heavy downpour, so 9 of us in the camper slept comfortably.

As for tow vehicle, it's possible to tow with a mid-size SUV, but I'd go no less than a 6000lbs rating, so the Traverse and Explorer would be out of the question. We've towed with our 2005 Pathfinder on several trips now, including a 2000-mile rountrip from Chicago to Mount Rushmore. The best I can say is we got there and back without anything breaking. There were times we drove into 30-mph headwind that I wish we had a more powerful TV. If you are looking into buying a tow vehicle, the Durango should be able to handle it, but I'd also look into the 1/2-ton SUV's to give you more wiggle room. Sequoia may be payload-limited though. We stuck with our Pathfinder because we already had that vehicle, but the next vehicle will be a half-ton...
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
As for tow vehicle, it's possible to tow with a mid-size SUV, but I'd go no less than a 6000lbs rating, so the Traverse and Explorer would be out of the question. We've towed with our 2005 Pathfinder on several trips now, including a 2000-mile rountrip from Chicago to Mount Rushmore. The best I can say is we got there and back without anything breaking. There were times we drove into 30-mph headwind that I wish we had a more powerful TV. If you are looking into buying a tow vehicle, the Durango should be able to handle it, but I'd also look into the 1/2-ton SUV's to give you more wiggle room. Sequoia may be payload-limited though. We stuck with our Pathfinder because we already had that vehicle, but the next vehicle will be a half-ton...
I appreciate you sharing your experience. It confirms what I experienced. I would have kept my Trailblazer but with 160k on it I decided it was time to move to something bigger.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #17

We have a 2006 23B. We are presently looking over what is available as a replacement; still considering a new 23B in addition to some other models.

Love the 23B configuration, and echo comments above. I would select the 23B over the 20E, primarily for the extra counter space in the galley. I think there is additional wardrobe space as well. For a small difference in tow weight, the 23B really is great.

In our early version of the 23B we have found the U shaped dinette construction to be pretty lousy. I have re-enforced things a bit, but the seats and table are really too light for climbing on. They may have improved things with the current model, but really wish Jayco would build the dinette from square aluminum tubing like the Rockwood Roo. The trestle table they use now is a huge improvement. Might be more with the early models, but we immediately upgraded the dinette foam for denser replacements, which was a pretty easy mod.

Even with the hassles, we still really like the dinette configuration. The seat cushion depth is the best we have found, and the movable table is really nice. We often use TV trays (stow behind the couch) instead of the table, which we place outside under the awning. The Rockwood Roo 233S has a U-shaped dinette on a slide that comes close to the 23B's, but the cushion depth is a bit less; it does however offer easy access to the front bunk.

The 23B is a very versatile design for packing with bulky stuff. We fill the floor space and dinette with all kinds of stuff when we are going to dog shows. Can still get easily to the fridge, galley, and wash room at mid day stops without sliding things out.

We tow with a 2011 Ford E150 Econoline wagon. We used to have a similar 1992 E150, and probably due to age it was totally inadequate for the trailer weight and air resistance; was fine with the '70's vintage Jay Cardinal dual axle pop-up though. The new van can handle the 23B fine; with a 7,000 lb tow rating it is pretty well suited I guess.

HTH

Stu
2006 Jayco 23B
2011 Ford Econoline Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugilmour View Post
The trestle table they use now is a huge improvement.
That's interesting that you like those type of legs. We hated them and replaced them with an old style set of folding legs.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #19

Too funny Chuck. I should have been clearer; I haven't lived with them yet. Maybe trying to say they feel way more solid, and the table top seems a heck of a lot stronger than ours, which has a pretty severe bend in it. Did you find the new design more awkward?

Stu
2011 Ford E150 Econoline wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
That's interesting that you like those type of legs. We hated them and replaced them with an old style set of folding legs.
We too HATED the trestle table and made them replace the base with old style folding legs. The Z frame design is poor and collapsed easily on a few occasions. It's also a really heavy base. The table is much easier to live with now and no fear of it collapsing when somebody puts their elbows on the table.

We moved from a PUP to the x23B and LOVE it. We use the front bed so that we can watch TV in bed. Stepping up onto the dinette to get in bed is easy. We too turn the table sideways at night to open a path to the potty.

We tow with an '06 Tundra rated at 6,800 lbs. While it tows OK on flat Texas roads I would not venture cross country with it. The '07 and newer Tundras are tow beasts but the '06 and before are pretty lightweight. The x23B loaded up for travel along with a lot of stuff in the truck really taxes the Tundra and the MPG plummets.