Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #1

Rear View Camera on TT?

I would like to say that this is my LAST question as I finish the list of add-ons for our new TT.

We are first time RV'ers and pulling with an MDX. We do not have big side mirrors. We can see the hitch itself from the MDX rear-view mirror, so that was a good surprise. But we also believe we would like a rear-view camera on the TT. We have seen some chatter about the Bluetooth cameras not working well.

We are open to suggestions. Should we try a hardwired camera? Bluetooth? Something else?
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #2

Your best bet would be a wired camera. 'Rear View Safety' Company has a good reputation of making excellent products. Depending on your need, they have a great selection to choose from.

I have a 5'er and I have a dual monitor rear view camera behind my trailer. See my thread below detailing install and camera options:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19980

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I wouldn't rely on a camera to decide whether lane changes are safe. There are lots of towing mirrors that can attach to see safely. I personally don't see the need for a camera. Make sure you buy the best hitch and best brake controller before you spend money on a camera. Just my opinion.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #4

JAYCO uses the GARMIN Nav & Camera system. The camera is wireless and the transmitter runs off the TT or FW battery.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #5

I'm with nbhybrid on this one. I question the usefulness of a camera back there on a TT. If I don't have a spotter (has not happened yet) then I use GOAL (Get Out And Look). And I've never found a need to see behind me like that while in transit, what's going on in front of me takes enough concentration. As long as I can see down the side of my camper, I'm good. Just my pair o' pennies.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I personally don't see the need for a camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'm with nbhybrid on this one. I question the usefulness of a camera back there on a TT. And I've never found a need to see behind me like that while in transit, what's going on in front of me takes enough concentration.
This is where we have to agree to disagree.

As someone who holds a class "A" CDL and who has also been towing TT/FW and driving a MH and trucks since at least 1973 the more you can see what is going on around you, front, back and sides, the safer you are. Every CDL class teaches you to check mirrors at least every 15 seconds so only looking forward is not a safe way to drive.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #7

When my truck came with a tailgate camera, I thought "this could save our marriage".

Adding another camera to the back of the TT could only make this better. The more information you have (spotter + mirrors + camera), the less stressful it is.

Cameras aren't essential, but certainly would help.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

I agree that it could be helpful but in this case the OP was referring to the inadequate side mirrors on the TV and I was just saying that a camera is not a substitute for them. Sure cameras are great,not for me personally, and if finances are open to anything I would go for it but just don't cringe at the fact that a quality hitch can run from 600-2000 and opt for one that is 300 thinking it is good enough. Put the money into hitches and controllers before cameras
Old 08-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
When my truck came with a tailgate camera, I thought "this could save our marriage".

Adding another camera to the back of the TT could only make this better. The more information you have (spotter + mirrors + camera), the less stressful it is.

Cameras aren't essential, but certainly would help.

Couldn't have said it any better " the more info you have the better " I pull a 40 ft 36REQS with a trailer behind that carrying a Rzr with a Ford crew cab long box . I am somewhere around 71' long . Michigan is a max of 75'. Camera is just another tool to make it easier .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
I agree that it could be helpful but in this case the OP was referring to the inadequate side mirrors on the TV and I was just saying that a camera is not a substitute for them. Sure cameras are great,not for me personally, and if finances are open to anything I would go for it but just don't cringe at the fact that a quality hitch can run from 600-2000 and opt for one that is 300 thinking it is good enough. Put the money into hitches and controllers before cameras
+1

I've got no problem with disagreement, and I definitely respect the opinion of those with vastly more experience than mine. I didn't say that seeing behind was not important, nor did I say you shouldn't look in your mirrors and be aware of your surroundings. But I can see behind me what I would consider "adequately" without a camera. I would consider a camera on the back of the TT an unnecessary distraction. I can see well enough to determine if there is a vehicle behind me without the camera, therefore in my situation, I feel that there are many things on my list of a higher priority than a camera on my rear; that's something I would consider a "luxury" item. Proper mirrors would be high on that list as a "necessity".

My method may not work for everyone, but I feel safe out there on the road with what I have, and that's what's important. If someone needs to install a camera to feel safe, and tow confidently, then they absolutely should do it, and I would never hold it against them.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #11

Thanks to all of you for your input. My explanation could have been better. We are not planning to switch out the present mirrors on the TV and are looking for a way to increase our field of vision.

We are ordering the P-2 Brake Controller; and an Equalizer hitch - both recommendations came from Forum feedback - so I hope that you all consider this a good combo. If not, speak up - we can still switch.

The MDX has a good, built-in, hitch camera but we still feel somewhat blind as to what's happening at the back end of the whole shebang. We don't mind spending the dollars and we want to stay safe. Even more importantly, we don't want to cause an unsafe situation for nearby strangers.

We are buying our TT from Richardson's - and I think that they will install anything we ask. Also, we are the kind of people for whom information is never an overload.

Is there any consensus as to a good, reliable camera for the back of the TT?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #12

I like my I-ball camera on the back of the TT for backing into a campsite. Lowers the entertainment value to other campers but at about $150 - pretty sure it is cheaper than a divorce.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

I personally would go with the P3 controller as it has a digital display making it easier to add or lower boost if needed(plus it looks way better )and make sure it is an E4 hitch with 4 point sway and not the cheaper E2 with 2 point that my dealer tried to sell me.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post
I like my I-ball camera on the back of the TT for backing into a campsite. Lowers the entertainment value to other campers but at about $150 - pretty sure it is cheaper than a divorce.

I especially like that part about lowering the entertainment value for other campers. There will be no shortage of that for our new neighbors. This is gonna be like the Green Acres of RV'ing.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #15

Quote:
I personally would go with the P3 controller as it has a digital display making it easier to add or lower boost if needed(plus it looks way better )and make sure it is an E4 hitch with 4 point sway and not the cheaper E2 with 2 point that my dealer tried to sell me.
We asked Richardsons for the P3 and they suggested the P2 instead. I will ask if we they will install a P3 that we provide. Thanks for the tip on calling out the higher grade hitch and sway. We will do so.

Still working on the camera idea . . .
Old 08-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #16

Sounds like you really should be thinking about mirrors too. There are tons of options out there, most pretty bad, but I've been really happy with the clamp on mirrors from Milenco/JR Products

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0095T...&robot_redir=1
skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #17

I installed a Voyager wireless camera from ASA Electronics on my 40' Pinnacle. Even with the excellent tow mirrors on my F350 the camera provides another view and I can always be sure I have fully passed the car in the other lane. I have had no problem with the signal and the camera includes a microphone so my DW can direct me into a site while backing up and she just has to talk normally. Agree on the cost $750+. But I have a long way to back my rig to park it at my home and the camera really helps.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #18

We had a Jayco Greyhawk while we were full-timing that came stock with an ASA Electronics (Jensen) Voyager Rear view camera. It was wireless and we never had one moment of interference. It uses a digital stream that's locked between the camera and monitor. It worked great - always a clear picture- but they are expensive.

When we quit full-timing we traded for a 23B. As soon as I can afford it, the 23B will have a Voyager System on it.

... agreeing with Grumpy and Clayton on the visibility issue.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #19

I'm with camper bob.. I focus my tine on what is in front of me and beside me. When backing up I have my spotters and I trust them more than a camera.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Every CDL class teaches you to check mirrors at least every 15 seconds so only looking forward is not a safe way to drive.
I have not driven a semi in 20 years (just gave up my CDL 2 years ago), but that was the main thing you did..
Check your mirrors every 15 seconds and what was the color of the LAST vehicle that was behind you. Helps to know if someone is in your blind spot.

To this day I still make the 15 second checks, even when not towing anything. I have a wireless camera on the back of the TT and it makes life sooooo much easier.

As for those interested in buying a new rear view camera, I would recommend a wired version. Less interference. Less hassle! I have tried a few models that could not transmit a QUALITY signal to the truck's front seat.. in my case that is like 40' away and metal is blocking the signal.

Just my thoughts
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote