Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

Recent purchase?

We're in research mode, trying to figure out which hybrid TT to buy. For those of you who purchased a new Jayco recently, what lead to your choice of a Jayco over a Roo, other than price? There shouldn't be much difference in price for similar sized trailers but offers available to you may have been better for one than for another, based on the dealer making the offer.

What I'm looking for is features or qualities that lead you to lean towards one more than the other. I realize that's a subjective question but your description of why you came to that conclusion can help me decide whether that same logic applies to our family.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Edit: I should say we're a couple in our 50's with 2 kids in college. Both would join us as time permits but it will mostly be just us and occasionally our 60# Boxer. We don't care about what wood finish is on the cabinets or what the decal looks like but do care that the cabinets are well made, won't rattle apart as it drives down the road, and the distribution of storage space is useful.

Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
Former pop-up owner
Hybrid TT owner wannabee
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #2

Hi - we recently purchased a 19H and two main things sold us on the Jayco. The 2-year warranty and what appears to us to be a higher quality of construction. We just looked at all the hybrid models of different brands we could see and Jayco just looked better made. The cabinetry - doors close tight, drawers glide in and out easily - solid plywood instead of fiberboard - upholstery stitching was tight - that sort of thing. The sales people gave us a lot of information about the mechanical aspects of the units but honestly they all sounded good.
chapter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #3

While it might not be well publicized, many Forest River models (including Rockwood) have a 2nd year manufacturer warranty extension available for $150 at the time of purchase, or within a few days. That is not available to all Forest River lines, though.

Sales people won't necessarily tell you that because they'll make money on a third-party extended warranty, but none on the FR warranty extension.

Chris
Hybrid TT owner wannabee
Old 04-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #4

The two things that sold me on the Jayco hybrid was the 2 year warranty and the quality build. I looked for months at every different manufacturer out there. I love my HTT. I upgraded from a popup. I have the 16XRB and note that the overall the storage is limited compared to larger models of hybrids, however much more than in a pop up. I really was leaning towards the 17Z but the weight would have pushed me over the safety range for towing with my Ford. Also, know that the Swift line (165) is really great, but has a lower ceiling height (6'-1" I think) so that was why I didn't go with that line.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #5

We are picking up our new x19h this Thursday and are really looking forward to it.We have to travel to Innisfil Ont. to pick it up so am a little nervous about driving back to Waterloo Ont,thru Toronto.
ebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #6

Is that because of big city traffic? If so, time your travels to avoid the worst traffic rush hour.
Hybrid TT owner wannabee
Old 04-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #7

We chose the X19H over the Roo for quality. In our opinion, the cabinets are better quality and so are the rest of the interior components (upholstery, etc.). The warranty was better as well. We also added an extended 5 year warranty on ours through Jayco for a little extra. It tows great and easy to maneuver in the campgrounds. The biggest thing I don't like is lack of exterior storage compartments, so more 'stuff' finds its way in to the back of the pickup. The vent fan in the bathroom leaves something to be desired as well, but we over-looked that for quality elsewhere.
Zoey's Troop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #8

Take the back way through highway 9 into Guelph. It will take longer, but you'll avoid the 400 crazy drive. When I first started driving (many years ago we lived up in Haliburton, but all of our family lives in KW so that's the route we would take.
The Fischcocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #9

In evaluating the cost and practicality of improving the Jayco fan, I found the Turbo/Maxx fan. It's probably not a new idea to many readers here but I didn't know of its existence. It seems like an easy way to upgrade without interfering with the roof seal (and therefore warranty) and it gets you a vent cover in the deal.

I read elsewhere (on this forum?) about Jayco floors being soft in some spots. Readers responded with construction descriptions suggesting Rockwood builds more framing into their walls and floors than does Jayco. I have no objective evidence of that, nor do I know for a fact that it matters. But, if mushy floors are not unusual on Jayco, I'll look elsewhere.

If Jayco's engineered floor design results in a stronger (or a strong as) floor with fewer cross members I'm okay with that in principle, if it actually works. But I have little information one way or another.
Hybrid TT owner wannabee
Old 04-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #10

We have a 2013 X23B and love it! We looked at the Rockwood Roos, they are well made. But weights of the Roos generally was more than the Jayco we were interested in. Plus the extra counter space in the kitchen sold my wife, and not to mention their 2 year warranty.

As far as the floor, here is a thread that may help you with floor construction:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17150
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #11

We had a '12 X23B and even though we've traded up to a 5th and are really enjoying the extra space both the bride and I have really great memories of "little feather". It was our 1st TT and the combination of its short towed length plus 2 roomy bunks was just a super arrangement. The outside storage was a bit small as Zoey points out but that just encouraged me to pack carefully. We felt the inside storage was great.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #12

We looked at all of the various models at the RV show and just kept comparing the others to the Jay feather line. Either we didn't like the floor plans, or the couch/dinette would be too short to be turtled (we are both over 6') should the need arise (walmart/cabellas overnight). We liked the construction and the "feel".

When we saw a late model x20e show up on craigslist the decision was made.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #13

We are really looking forward to our Jayco almost as much as our grandkids.
ebrian is offline   Reply With Quote