Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #1

Reflective foil on bunk-ends

Has anyone made a reflective foil cover for your bunk-ends to help keep heat out and warmth in? Or any other method that would look nice. If so, any instructions and feedback on how well it worked.
First Time Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #2

you can buy Pugs. I have seen people use reflective fiberglass tarps. I have heard of people on the forum, that have made window inserts out of Reflex (reflective bubble wrap).

We have never covered our bunk ends. This time of year we do have an electric site, and use electric mattress pad heater. I can tell you, as the person that sleeps on the outside edge the air in the bunk end is a little cooler than in the HTT. But the heated mattress pad makes up for it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Time Owner View Post
Has anyone made a reflective foil cover for your bunk-ends to help keep heat out and warmth in? Or any other method that would look nice. If so, any instructions and feedback on how well it worked.
Does the reflective foil keep the radio waves from the CIA from reaching your brain too?

I'm sorry, I just could not resist that slow pitch. Forgive me.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #4

We've never seen the need for them. It doesn't get all that hot in WI and during cold weather we also use a heating blanket. As Jagiven I also sleep on the outside edge but I'm usually warm anyway so I sleep better with the cooler air. The heat in the trailer keeps up just fine although we had a few nights in Oct that were in the 30s. We used up most of a tank of propane in 4 nights, but we also spent a lot of time inside instead of by a fire. But I find the $13 it costs for a propane fill easy compared to the hassle of putting the pugs on.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #5

When we had our popup and hybrid we used space blankets on the tops and reflectix in the window areas of the bunk ends. Space blankets kept the bunk end tops clean from tree sap and bird droppings. Alot easier to clean them at home on the driveway. Reflecix helped keep cool running the AC.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior Mods 015.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	54817
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #6

We love our PUGS. we have been at the Colorado River in Arizona and had it 115 outside and it was 83 in the dinette and 87 over the bunks. This was in the middle of the day with the reflectex in the windows of the camper and the bunks. I would not try it any other day. Granted we did have the air conditioner going and we were in a 2018 jayco x17z. We have been camping in the mountains and wake up with a few inches of snow on the ground and we were still warm thanks to the heater and the PUGS. If I was to buy another hybrid, they would be second on the list, right behind two trojan t105 batteries.
Tree Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Time Owner View Post
I cut reflectix the shape of the windows and zipped them between the screen and canvas. I also lay a tarp across the top outside and use spring clips to hold them to the canvas. we camped many times this summer with our twin 1 yr olds and this helped made it darker and cooler in the camper during the day. It basically allowed our 8,000 btu AC to be able to keep up when in full sun on a hot summer day.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #8

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tor-50974.html
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #9

Loved the pop-up gizmos on our hybrid. Really helped a lot. Worth the money.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #10

Another happy Popup Gizmo owner here. Camped in FL on beach this past summer. We were able to keep the inside of our hybrid at 67 degrees during the day when it was humid and 90+ degrees.
adamdsgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:15 PM   #11

Ill pop up on the opposite side of the temperature spectrum. We went up to the local mountains expecting just a few inches of snow. Well it snowed a few feet, We had the thermostat at 75 and were nice and cozy sleeping while we had huge icicles on the outside of the camper. We have been from mid 20's and still been warm, to over 115 and still be cool. I will suggest putting reflectex in the the window or screen area of the camper. If I was to go this route again with a hybrid camper, this would be first on my list of things to get. The PUGS and reflectex.
Tree Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
you can buy Pugs. I have seen people use reflective fiberglass tarps. I have heard of people on the forum, that have made window inserts out of Reflex (reflective bubble wrap).

We have never covered our bunk ends. This time of year we do have an electric site, and use electric mattress pad heater. I can tell you, as the person that sleeps on the outside edge the air in the bunk end is a little cooler than in the HTT. But the heated mattress pad makes up for it.
The reflective window shields for cars and trucks work well for us for hot days or cold days and are portable and compact for easy storage. We use the large truck version for the forward bubble window at the Murphy bed, the regular size for the slide out window, and a regular size folded in half for the other windows .....behind the shades. We store them behind the sofa during the day.
Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #13

We purchased a roll of reflective window covering and wife cut to fit the windows that run hot. Stored behind sofa when not in use
Marty1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #14

FTO, You can purchase "Reflectix" From Home Depot. I have personally used this product in home attics and also on a few RV mods. It works as it sounds. Reflecting Heat, Cold, inside or out. A tad pricey, but worth it. 16" or 24" widths.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #15

Most brains CAG,...........Drum roll.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #16

We use PopUp Gizmos and have had the same set for 13 years and they are still going strong. We camp in summer and they really help cut down heat coming from the bunks when you camp in full sun. They also help with condensation if you run the propane for heat. Folks that winter camp are quite creative, and if you get a chance, go to the facebook group "Hybrid Travel Trailer Camping" and become a member. These folks are great. If you use the search feature, you will tons of great ideas and hacks that are universal to most hybrids.
oldbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #17

Check out popup Gizmos. They make custom bunk end reflective covers for pop up and hybrid campers. Using them on our Jay Feather X23b they work great
WisconsinCamper is offline   Reply With Quote