Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #1

Relocating battery on 2015 X17Z

I am planning to install a 100 ah Lithium battery just inside the entrance door (at back of trailer) in a compartment next to the charge controller. I want to put it there for ambient temperature & theft control reasons.
My question is when I move the battery from the tongue to the back, what wires will I need to run forward. Is it just the charge wire from the TV, and the breakaway switch for the electric brakes?
This week I'm installing a new charge controller capable of handling lithium charging.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions.
SLORandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:15 AM   #2

Following. Which battery did you choose?
mobilelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #3

I went with the BattleBorn 100 ah and it worked out great! I put the battery in the compartment just inside the door so it's really close to the converter. Also replaced converter with Progressive Dynamics converter which has Lithium setting (charges at approx 14.4 volts). Added a shut off switch just inside the door, and mounted a battery monitor nearby. I turned on each electrical item and recorded it's amp draw. After my initial trip of 4+ days I used less than 50% of the battery. Plus my tongue weight was reduced over 60 lbs.
I've recently done a list of other improvements and got about 150 lbs of weight out of the trailer that I'll post sometime.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:02 PM   #4

Do you have a picture of the battery installed? I'm wondering if I have room for 2. Or a 30amp victron MPPT charger
Cozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #5

The closer the batteries are to the converter, charge controller, and an inverter the better to reduce losses in the 12 volt wiring. You will still need to power your break away switch at the tongue and a disconnect switch not necessarily the factory one. Im assuming your 12 volt panel is near the converter
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:19 PM   #6

I put a battery disconnect switch just above the access door where the battery is located...the battery is about 12 inches from the converter so I used 10 gage wire. The battery tray was screwed to the floor before the battery went in.

The cable that originally went up to the battery on the front was no longer necessary so it's now wired to power the breakaway brakes.

I also add a battery monitor and attached the shunt just inside the access door.

The wiring is a mess (embarrassingly so) because I'm undoing several connections to clean up the routing, plus I'm starting to wire the solar connected that was just installed. I wanted to get pic posted asap for Cozzman.

Regarding 2 batteries. I was thinking the same but the width of this compartment is about 1" too short to fit 2 batteries end-to-end.

A 3500 lb axle is on order because I don't like being on the edge of weight limits. New 14" wheels and tires are already installed. After removing a bunch of items I've got the axle weight down to 2800 lb, without water.

Hope all this info helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Lithium Battery.jpg   Disconnect.jpg  
Old 04-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #7

Thank you!! Bummer on not fitting two. I might get creative with a small Jackery as a "cold" spare.

Your freaking me out on the axles. What am I missing?
Old 04-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #8

I already have a battleborn like you but I wonder if this would fit. https://www.sokbattery.com/products/...e-battery-pack

My rig is months away on order but I have it 70% customized in my head already ��
Old 04-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLORandy View Post
A 3500 lb axle is on order because I don't like being on the edge of weight limits. New 14" wheels and tires are already installed. After removing a bunch of items I've got the axle weight down to 2800 lb, without water.

Hope all this info helps.
Did your trailer come with 13" wheels? Mine did and I finally spent the bucks for new 14" wheels and Goodyear Endurance tires--great piece of mind. Ever try finding a new 13" tire in the middle of nowhere?
Old 04-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #10

My trailer did come with the 13" wheels and tires. I replaced them with the 14" and in a week or two my 3500 lb axle will be in. I do keep the weight down around 2850# without water, but I often go places I need to be filled up which would put me a little over weight (the trailer, not me).

Here is the finished, and cleaned up battery install with kill switch and the solar port I added.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery.jpg  
Old 04-29-2021, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLORandy View Post
My trailer did come with the 13" wheels and tires. I replaced them with the 14" and in a week or two my 3500 lb axle will be in. I do keep the weight down around 2850# without water, but I often go places I need to be filled up which would put me a little over weight (the trailer, not me).

Here is the finished, and cleaned up battery install with kill switch and the solar port I added.
Nice job!

I have thought about changing my axle but it looks like a lot of work to do in my driveway!