Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #1

Replacement LED Bulb Question

I do some dry camping and it was suggested that I change the incandescent bulbs in my Jay Flight 165RB to LEDs. There seem to be a lot of replacements for the 921 bulb I'm looking for. Can anyone recommend a seller or manufacture? I need to replace 10 bulbs and there are bulbs thru Amazon, 20 bulbs for $10.59. Are these okay? Link
80 Cruiser Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #2

I bought the GRV ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Similar to your link, but brighter (4 more LED elements); you might find the ones you linked to be a bit dim. In a side by side, the ones I linked had very similar light output.
Also watch the color. Your link is to a 6500K bulb which is a very bluish white light (cool). Most people prefer a warmer white closer to an incandescent bulb ~3200K.
I actually bought both warm and cool white bulbs and use them in different places; the warm are better for interior (most) while we like cool for kitchen and outside.
Quality? Not "the best", but for $2 a bulb, I'm not complaining. I have had one bulb where a lead detached, and one that stopped operating after a year, the other 18 are still doing fine.
One last tip, these are polarity sensitive, so if you insert and it is dead, pull it and twist 180* then reinsert. It will probably work. If you get the flat paddle type bulbs (single sided), you may have to rewire the fixture if the polarity is reversed.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #3

I think I did see the ones you suggested and I was concerned about the color and brightness also. Thanks for your reply, good info about the flat paddle LEDs.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #4

The switch to LED is amazing in terms of power consumption. With incandescent buls when my x17z was plugged into AC and I had the three ceiling fixtures on, the fan in my power converter would run. After switching to the LED's, every light can be turned on at once and the fan still cant be heard. (In fact, i had forgotten to change the bulb in the range hood, and realized when I turned it on one day and heard the converter fan! Also, initially I had purchased some cheaper bulbs and they would flicker after they were on for a while (>1 hour). I replaced them with the GRV's this winter and haven't camped yet but in testing they seem much better.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimovernon View Post
After switching to the LED's, every light can be turned on at once and the fan still cant be heard. (In fact, i had forgotten to change the bulb in the range hood, and realized when I turned it on one day and heard the converter fan!
Thanks for mentioning the range hood, i'd forgotten about the light there.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #6

For the flat bulbs - I bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are as close to incandescent I could find that were not super bright. I did have a couple that were going to be pointing up - just take the leads and bend them backward to the other-sides. Now they are pointing down like they should.

Here is the small review I made on some bulbs - https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-me-54551.html

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
For the flat bulbs - I bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are as close to incandescent I could find that were not super bright. I did have a couple that were going to be pointing up - just take the leads and bend them backward to the other-sides. Now they are pointing down like they should.

Here is the small review I made on some bulbs - https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-me-54551.html
I ordered some of the Super Bright (I think they're natural white) flat paddle styled ones for under the counter. I'll see how much light they throw and make my decission with the rest. The flat paddle style seem to make more sense than the cylindrical style.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
I ordered some of the Super Bright (I think they're natural white) flat paddle styled ones for under the counter. I'll see how much light they throw and make my decission with the rest. The flat paddle style seem to make more sense than the cylindrical style.
Were the ones you ordered warm or cool? Warm are more yellow like stock incandescent and cool are more blue like an office building. I ordered the warm and am very happy with them so far.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:44 AM   #9

They are neither warm or cool they're natural white. I think they are in between the warm and cool. The cool is more of a blue white where the Super Bright or natural white is a white color. I figure they would be brighter and better for under the cabinets in the kitchen area. I'll use the warm white in the other fixtures.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #10

I put the GRV flat panel LEDs in my overhead light fixtures, and ordered specific LED bulbs for my wall sconces and overhead residential dome light (12V). The colour and brightness are both great - very comparable to stock incandescent. They use about 1/6-1/7 of the power draw of stock bulbs, and run MUCH cooler. I had 1 bad bulb right out of the package, and 1 has failed over the course of 4 seasons. Not too bad considering the price. Since they are polarity sensitive, and the flat panel LEDs cannot be flipped, I had to bend the wire contacts over to the opposite sides (very easy and simple) and then they worked. If you install one and it doesn't work at first, try that first before assuming the bulb is bad.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #11

I was replacing my 921 incandescent bulbs with LEDs and when I opened up the bunk area light I saw this LED in the fixture. Man this really throws some light. I know that is power draw is higher than the bulb I was going to install but I didn't see a way to remove it. Is anyone familiar with this? I could figure out how it comes out and I didn't want to break it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0177.jpg  
Old 03-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #12

I got some of the "cheapie" LEDs from Amazon and EBay. I love them but I needed extras cuz I had about 10% of them fail within the first year.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I got some of the "cheapie" LEDs from Amazon and EBay. I love them but I needed extras cuz I had about 10% of them fail within the first year.
But you can't beat the price, I got 20 bulbs for $10.99. I guess I'll see how long they last. There supposed to be made here in the US.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #14

Has anyone seen this type of LED and do you know what it called?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0177.jpg  
Old 03-15-2018, 03:23 AM   #15

My favorite source for RV LED's is Cabin Bright | Innovative 12 volt LED Lighting.

High quality, excellent customer service, reasonably priced and you order the quantity that you need and no need to order 10% more due to defectives.

I have been using LED's from this company for over 3 years and I full time so mine get used a lot.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:39 AM   #16

My converter fan turned on every time I flipped the light switch on, they were using so much power. I replaced my ceiling lights with these LED and all is quiet, and real bright.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-NEW-RV-LE...oAAOSwFMdah2kS
Old 03-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
I was replacing my 921 incandescent bulbs with LEDs and when I opened up the bunk area light I saw this LED in the fixture. Man this really throws some light. I know that is power draw is higher than the bulb I was going to install but I didn't see a way to remove it. Is anyone familiar with this? I could figure out how it comes out and I didn't want to break it.
I think they are called flat panel led's. I looked into them a little a few months ago. I can't remember too much about them. If I remember correctly they have double sided 3M tape holding them up. There should be no reason you can't just tear them out.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #18

Why not leave it as it is LED and draws less current than incandescent? Or unplug it and leave it in the fixture and put your new bulb in?
Old 03-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimovernon View Post
Why not leave it as it is LED and draws less current than incandescent? Or unplug it and leave it in the fixture and put your new bulb in?
I have no intention of replacing it unless I think it draws to much current. If it does I'll change it with one of the led bulbs I replaced the other incandescents with. I might want to have either that led or another like it for under the counter next to the sink.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #20

I understand 80 Cruiser Rod.

It is like incandescent bulbs of different wattage's. I have ordered three different sets of LED's so far. First ones were not as bright as originals, and flickered after a while. Next set was much brighter and worked great, but were too glaring over the couch and dinette.

But now I have plenty of spares!