Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2022, 12:12 PM   #1

Replacing LED awning on the x17z?

The factory installed LED strip under the awning of my x17z (2017) is so dim it barely puts out any light. And it appears to be held onto the awning via a sewn in channel?? All of the aftermarket lights I am finding appear to be a thin, 1/2in wide , flat strip. The strip in my awning appears to be round.
How do I remove the exisiting leds without ruining the awning. And how do I thin put in a replacement? Does anyone know if the factory strip is adhesived into that channel? Or does it just sit in the channel? Thanks for any help
gdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:12 PM   #2

Just a thought. I have the factory light in the awning. The remote control has a dimmer function. I don’t know if you have the same controller as I do but in the upper left corner there are two white buttons with a sun picture. One is for dimming and one for brightening. You might check to see if the light will brighten up before you change it out. If you do have that function the sensor is in the upper right corner and sometimes it can be a pain getting it to function. I just have to point it from a different location until the sensor reads the signal. On mine the inside switch needs to be on for the remote to function. Good luck.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Actually there is no controller, it is just on or off.

I was able to gently pry the old strip out of the plastic channel. I did cause 2 small chips in the plastic as it is quite brittle. But the LED strip was not glued in, just sitting. In fact it still has the 3m paper on the back , not peeled off.
The LEd strip is 8mm wide. Do I was able to track down a light strip(HitLight) that says it is 8mm wide, so if that is true it should be an easy install. Most light strips are 10mm btw. I also opted for a remote and a dimmable controller inline. It should all install with some solder etc... I plan on cutting off the plug on the old strip and using it on the new one.
gdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote