Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #1

Roof leak on 19h

Hi all,

I have weird water leak from somewhere on the roof that leaks into the ceiling light housing just downstream towards the front of the camper.
It's only happened a couple of times. I think it only happened when we drove through seriously heavy rain and it possibly bounced up off of the roof and went into the a/c unit and then into the roof cavity and runs down to the light.
The reason I think this is it doesn't leak when it sits all winter but does show up when we travel. It also could be the a/c itself but I can't figure it out yet.
Has anyone else run into this? We have owned this since 2012. Thanks in advance.
cojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #2

Being a 2012 unit you should be on your 2nd AC gasket and ready for your 3rd one soon. Have you tightened (lightly)the 4 gasket hold down bolts yearly and inspected it’s thickness against the thickness gauge shown in the photo.
Second photo shows the 2 wire channels where water can run in both directions between roof and ceiling
Attached Thumbnails
D5642C22-0EFF-4B58-BF42-C6DF1811ABF5.jpg   D07C410E-7859-4DEA-93FF-80DBC73E0684.jpg  
Old 06-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #3

Also, check your roof for sagging. Our vintage of Jayco is prone to sagging around the AC as there is no crown to it. The weight of the AC eventually can sag the roof a bit and water will start to collect around the AC instead of draining away. If this happens that gasket becomes even more critical.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:28 AM   #4

a/c gasket

Thanks for the responses. I didn't think they would have to be replaced so often, although 10 years on any rubber gasket is quite a while. I'm ordering one today.
Is it safe to walk on our 19h roofs and not do damage? I did check the tightness of the hold down screws this week and they were all tight, but I remember reading about them coming from the factory with loose hold down screws and sure enough they were very loose years ago when I checked.
Question, can I do this gasket replacement from inside the camper only?
cojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #5

After fixing the entire roof on mine because the previous owner failed to replace the gasket mine gets replaced every 2-3 years no matter what. It's about $20 and takes half an hour to replace versus the $1500 and several weeks to do a roof, and that's if you do all the work yourself.
When I did mine (see link in my sig.) I actually put a slight high spot in the center of the roof to help water drain away. It only raises about half an inch but it helps.

Walking on the roof is fine, I'm about 160 and never had issues, even once it was sagging about 3".

As far as replacing from inside, I don't think that will be possible because you have to remove the AC unit and put it on the roof like Tunce shows above.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote