Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #21
Site Team

I bought a 25' roll of 6" and a 50' roll of 4"./ I was able to do the front cap with the 6" stuff and the rest with the 4" Eternabond. Left a little for the other roof openings.

If you use the 4'" stuff on the front cap, the seam is so wide you may have to use 2 overlapping strips which will work well too!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #22

Side note. Some roof's it's recommended every two years to clean and treat the roof. Depends on what kind of roof material. Also you proably want to wash your rig due to dirty run off from cleaning the roof.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
Thanks for the tips. I think I can do this and save some $$. Considering we are leaving for a trip soon I guess washing and then applying the dicor on any noticeable cracks would be the bare minimum. Is this the right product to use?
https://dicorproducts.com/product/se...-lap-sealants/

Also is a regular car wash soap good enough for washing the top or can someone suggest something better?
Any product links for roof sealants and washing products would be great. This is all new to me.
Cheers!
Dicor Company recommends Dawn and warm water, and a medium bristle brush. I use my car wash brush. Works great with the Dawn. Let the roof dry for a day, then apply Dicor Self-Leveling sealant.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by db7512 View Post
Side note. Some roof's it's recommended every two years to clean and treat the roof. Depends on what kind of roof material. Also you proably want to wash your rig due to dirty run off from cleaning the roof.
Every two years is too long. Check your roof seams every 3 to 6 months. It takes 5 minutes. Why take the chance of a leak?
Old 07-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #25

Quote:
After having our 16XRB in service for a de-winterize they did a free roof check. Apparently During the free roof inspection the technician found some seals that are starting to crack and should be touched up. The cost is close to $400. The materials on the invoice are dicor non-leveling and Sikasil Clear which total around $40. The rest of the cost is labour. Is this a job that could be performed easily by myself or is it worth spending that much $$ getting a tech to do it? Any advice appreciated
I’m sure you got the answers you were looking for but FWIW my dealer checked over and touched up the silicone on my roof for free when I picked it up from storage from them. Technically I paid $260 for winterization, winter storage for 5 months and then they de-winterized it for me and went over the roof. So $400 seems ridiculous
gunner18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #26

Roof material (fiberglass, rubber etc) was what I am speaking about not the caulking. I agree checking the caulking at a 6 month interval. Check your roof matieral manufacturer website for the roof material. Depending on what it is some recommend two years on cleaning then treating the roof membrane.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner18 View Post
I’m sure you got the answers you were looking for but FWIW my dealer checked over and touched up the silicone on my roof for free when I picked it up from storage from them. Technically I paid $260 for winterization, winter storage for 5 months and then they de-winterized it for me and went over the roof. So $400 seems ridiculous
Silicone is not used on rubber roofs. Dicor Company, which makes the rubber sheets, recommends Dicor Self Leveling sealant.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #28

Easy Job if you caulked before
mikehoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:23 AM   #29

Quote:
After having our 16XRB in service for a de-winterize they did a free roof check. Apparently During the free roof inspection the technician found some seals that are starting to crack and should be touched up. The cost is close to $400. The materials on the invoice are dicor non-leveling and Sikasil Clear which total around $40. The rest of the cost is labour. Is this a job that could be performed easily by myself or is it worth spending that much $$ getting a tech to do it? Any advice appreciated
Definitely do yourself mate, really easy and you get a tan at the same time. Lol
If you’re going to walk on roof you may feel better about putting a piece of plywood or something up there to spread the weight (I use my wakeboard), those guys will do a crap job because they really don’t care and it’s a good thing to know how to do.
I’ve begun doing a lot of repairs myself (electrical included), I just research it and take my time, it’s stuff we should know unless you have deep pockets and don’t mind somebody else doing a job that may not care like you do.
Kiwimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #30

I check the roof in spring when I take the cover off (I use a large breathable fabric car cover that covers roof and about a foot down all around.) and at end of season. Eternabond sticks great on TPO roof cleaned with either dawn or gentle sparse application of acetone. (Rub the end of the Eternabond together, like when you scrub clothing, to get the backing loose.) Can't put too much Dicor self-leveling or Eternabond on. Roof creaks but supports my 220#.

If you love your 16XRB half as much as we love ours you're in for a lot of great experiences and wonderful memories. Learning and doing some work is much of the fun of ownership.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote