Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #1

Roof maintenance 16XRB

After having our 16XRB in service for a de-winterize they did a free roof check. Apparently During the free roof inspection the technician found some seals that are starting to crack and should be touched up. The cost is close to $400. The materials on the invoice are dicor non-leveling and Sikasil Clear which total around $40. The rest of the cost is labour. Is this a job that could be performed easily by myself or is it worth spending that much $$ getting a tech to do it? Any advice appreciated
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #2

Easy job.

Wash the roof. Review the instructions on the tube of dicor. Apply where needed. Dont need to do the whole roof.

Better yet, apply eternabond at all the caulking points. Easy option, which I did, buy a 6 inch wide roll. I bought 50 feet. Apply over the top of the dicor. It does look lump, but no one sees it. A cleaner option, is to use a plastic putty knife, remove most of the dicor, and then apply the eternabond.

It took me two nights after work. Night 1, I washed the roof, and tt. Next night I applied the eternabond. Done for life. I still inspect annual. primarily for years in the membrane.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
Site Team

I do my own roof maintenance, that way I know it was done to my satisfaction, but if you're not comfortable being up there, having someone else do it may be worth it. I use both the self-leveling on top, and non-sag Dicor on areas where I want it to stay put. Not a hard job at all, just takes some time to check all the areas, and lay down new sealant.

I'm not familiar with Sikasil, so I can't comment on that product. Perhaps someone who has used it will chime in.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips. I think I can do this and save some $$. Considering we are leaving for a trip soon I guess washing and then applying the dicor on any noticeable cracks would be the bare minimum. Is this the right product to use?
https://dicorproducts.com/product/se...-lap-sealants/

Also is a regular car wash soap good enough for washing the top or can someone suggest something better?
Any product links for roof sealants and washing products would be great. This is all new to me.
Cheers!
Old 06-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #5

Looks right, but I have never used it. I applied eternabond as soon as I needed to do some patch work.

You can use carwash soap on the roof. Most people use something like Dawn dishsoap or Spic and Span.

If you have not done it before, here are a few things I have learned. Put the stabilizers down. Wrap your extension ladder with towels where it touches the TT. I put a small tear in the roof membrane the first time I when topside. Bring up an empty bucket with a squirt of soap in it, along with a long handled car wash brush. Bring up your hose, and plenty of it. I wrap the hose around the AC unit so it does not want to slide off the roof. Make sure the soles of your shoes are clean. Rocks can cause holes in the thin roof material.

Clean it as good as you feel you need to. Only those above us know how well we did. If you see some spots that need touch up work, spend an extra moment in that area if needed.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 06-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Looks right, but I have never used it. I applied eternabond as soon as I needed to do some patch work.

You can use carwash soap on the roof. Most people use something like Dawn dishsoap or Spic and Span.

If you have not done it before, here are a few things I have learned. Put the stabilizers down. Wrap your extension ladder with towels where it touches the TT. I put a small tear in the roof membrane the first time I when topside. Bring up an empty bucket with a squirt of soap in it, along with a long handled car wash brush. Bring up your hose, and plenty of it. I wrap the hose around the AC unit so it does not want to slide off the roof. Make sure the soles of your shoes are clean. Rocks can cause holes in the thin roof material.

Clean it as good as you feel you need to. Only those above us know how well we did. If you see some spots that need touch up work, spend an extra moment in that area if needed.
Thanks for all the great info. I will be on the look out for the eternabond tape. Hopefully the rv stores or hardware stores in Canada carry it. Did you do the entire roof seal with eternabond?
Old 06-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
Did you do the entire roof seal with eternabond?

Here's the You Tube video, you can get it from AMAZON

Old 06-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #8

Thanks for the video link. This is very helpful.
Does anyone know if the roof on the 16XRB is fibreglass or rubber? Also before cleaning the roof would you try to remove any loose or cracked sealant or just leave it?
Old 06-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the video link. This is very helpful.
Does anyone know if the roof on the 16XRB is fibreglass or rubber? Also before cleaning the roof would you try to remove any loose or cracked sealant or just leave it?
Rubber or TPO. I never removed any of the sealant, as Jagiven said it looks a little lumpy, but not a problem. Just besure you press the tape all down tight.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #10

I removed the old sealant with a hair drier and a plastic putty knife.
Attached Thumbnails
EF44569F-4DFB-4FE3-A8C2-0801160182AB.jpg  
Old 06-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #11

I know in that video he used acetone to clean everything and said he was not sure if that was safe on a rubber roof. Not sure if there is a better cleaning product for the rubber roof or if just soap and water is fine. I noticed in most of these videos they use a more powerful cleaner like mineral oil or acetone.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #12

I just washed with soap and water and let it dry. I have many miles and years on it and no issues.

I bought a roll of 6" wide tape. Primarily due to the wide pile of caulk along the front cap seam. It was to expeive to buy two rolls of different widths. I was very surprised by how much I used.

One thing to note3, do not stretch eternabond. It will peak up if you do. Found this out on patch I did.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 06-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #13

Did u also use the dicor sealant along the edge of the eternabond tape or is it fine by itself?
Old 06-29-2020, 09:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Did u also use the dicor sealant along the edge of the eternabond tape or is it fine by itself?
Nope, just bare edged.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #15

The technician also sent pictures of seals at the side of the trailer that are cracking around the fridge vent, fill valve and side of trailer. What would you use for sealing those? I’m guessing eternabond is just for the roof?
Old 06-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #16

I attached some pictures of other areas other than the roof that need sealing. What product would anyone suggest for sealing these areas up? Thanks again for everyones help!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200629_141706[1].jpg   IMG_20200629_141757[1].jpg   IMG_20200629_141719[1].jpg  
Old 06-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #17

Clear Geocel Proflex.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
Clear Geocel Proflex.
X-2 or up your way Lepage Quad Max at Home Depot
Old 07-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Easy job.

Wash the roof. Review the instructions on the tube of dicor. Apply where needed. Don't need to do the whole roof.

Better yet, apply eternabond at all the caulking points. Easy option, which I did, buy a 6 inch wide roll. I bought 50 feet. Apply over the top of the dicor. It does look lump, but no one sees it. A cleaner option, is to use a plastic putty knife, remove most of the dicor, and then apply the eternabond.

It took me two nights after work. Night 1, I washed the roof, and tt. Next night I applied the eternabond. Done for life. I still inspect annual. primarily for years in the membrane.
You said 6" roll, is a 4" roll good enough? I don't think any of my caulking on my roof is more then 2" even.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenar View Post
You said 6" roll, is a 4" roll good enough? I don't think any of my caulking on my roof is more then 2" even.
Zenar, the 6" is difficult to find around here, 4" I am sure will be fine, at least I hope so, because that is what I am using.
2008 Pilot: she gave me 500 000 KM, and became a parts' donor
PoohbearT is offline   Reply With Quote