Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #1

RV maps?

I have been looking for places to camp in my area (within a couple hours) since I live in a prime camping location (Sierras) When I map out the routes though I see that they are taking me over mountain passes that have signs that trailers are not allowed. I know this because we drive just our vehicle over these passes all the time. What I'm wondering is...Is there a special website/map system that will only give you routes accessible to RVs? (i.e. a different way to get there?)
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #2

I have the Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory.....

Maybe it will help you?

http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/ca...s/Default.aspx
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #3

OK thanks!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 AM   #4

There is also a GPS system mapped for RV'rs....I don't have one, and they are little pricey for me....but may be worth looking into through a search on this forum.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #5

I have a dedicated Trucking/RV GPS. As a backup and cheaper investment you might go with a Motor Carrier atlas which can be had on Amazon for under $50.00. I carry this and map my routes with it as the GPS maping can go over roads that I might want to avoid or take the scenic route during certain trips.

The Atlas contains all height hazards by state which is a good quick reference guide as well.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

Garmin makes a system (comes with wireless back-up camera) for approximately $400. You can search campsites on the 7" screen and get lifetime free updates on maps. I'm actually considering buying one myself. I believe the RV one came out a year ago but they also just announced a similar unit (not RV) with wireless backup camera at the last CES.
crudad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #7

Just make couple of non-camping road trips. Pack a lunch and spend the day driving to an area you are considering, since you are only talking a couple hours, and scope it out. Take a note pad, so when you get the campground you can make notes about sites you may like or want to stay away from. I too live near the Sierras (central Sierras), and we have made lots of day trips scouting sites around Shaver Lake, Huntington Lake, Bass Lake, etc. We are bit long for remote forest service CG, so the roads aren't much of an issue, but getting around some the CG loops are. As tent campers we went to some amazing remote campgrounds that no RV should ever attempt --- not being able to get there maybe the only down side to I have found to becoming trailer campers.

The problem with maps is they are outdated as soon as the are published. If you are talking about forest service roads, they change every year with trees falling, rock slides and pot holes...I just prefer to trust my own experience more than a map. Heck in my everyday driving the GPS often picks some very convoluted routes vs what I would have picked.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. Clubhouse, we did JUST that this last weekend and it was fun. We look at everything in a new way now, imagining pulling a trailer (narrow bridges in particular!) We checked out Pollock Pines area and Coloma area and have a clear idea now of what to expect. (And actually made a reservation at one!)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #9

I discovered an app for the IOS devices (iPhone/iPad) called "AllStays". It has become my "go to" reference.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #10

Might be worth a trip up 88 (RV Friendly) and have a look around Silver Lake area. Never camped there personally, drove through the area several times and have always thought that it looked like a great place to camp.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #11

Redhorse1...just looked that app up! Thanks for the recommendation. It has great reviews,too. I'll be downloading as soon as I get home!
Clubhouse, awesome, will do that!