Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #1

RV Q Grill

Does anyone use the barbeque grill that attaches to their trailer? Does it damage the trailer or the decals? Our 2013 19h came with one. I'm a little apprehensive using ours.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #2

RV Q Grill

I use mine all the time. I don't cook that much of anything that drips a lot, mostly just hot dogs for the kids or set my skillet on grill and scramble some eggs.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #3

Our 2013 5th W came with one also. It seems to me that it is in the wrong place, I don't like using it that close the the rig. So we are using our old BBQ
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #4

We never use ours, it is still brand new in the microwave box. We don't like cooking that close to the trailer esp if the awning is out. We are soon trading our 19h in for a 26bh and we asked to have the BBQ option removed from the trailer. We have a baby Weber Q with a stand and we set up a little camp kitchen away from the trailer and close to the CG picnic table.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #5

Lol I just noticed your TV trailer combo in your sig.....NICE.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #6

I had a grill that came with an earlier 5th I had purchased. I used it with my new 5W thinking it would be the cat's meow. It was a poor design with hot and cold spots that resulted in inconsistent cooking. I also did not like the grease spatters on the side of my Pinnacle. So, I got rid of it and replaced it with a Weber Q 120 which I retro-fitted to work with the low pressure fitting on the trailer. I also use a 10' hose so the grill is away from the side of the trailer. I am a much happier griller now!

Please understand that the Sidekick grill I had was about 5 years old. Hopefully they have improved on the design so that there is more even cooking.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #7

Nope, I hook my grill up to the low pressure QD fitting on the trailer and set it up to 20' away on the CG picnic table.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #8

We've been using our RVQ II grill for all cooking since we got it in 2010. My DW loves it. I did add another rail about 4"below the factory rail for when I have to have the tt raised for useing the "blue buddy" when sewer connections are not available. As far a heat and the side of the tt are concerned as long as you us the RVQ II mounting kit it will be at least a foot away from the tt. I also will use some pieces of wood (1/2" thick) to shim the lower cross piece on the kit to be sure the grease flows into the grease cup. I use a cold mug of my favorite refreshment to be sure it is level, it will take a couple of mugs to be sure. Larry
Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #9

I reconfigured the mounting bracket that holds the barbeque grill and slide a shelf onto it now.
I use a coleman stove plugged into the high pressure adapter I purchased that attaches to the propane tank and comes with a 12 foot hose. We always grill using charcoal never propane.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #10

We used our for about a year but it became too frustrating to use because you can't put food on the top rack and close it! So the top rack is just in the way and not functional. A few months ago we got a two-burner Camp Chef stove with grill, flat rack and burner. We LOVE it! It's big to carry but it packs a punch and takes care of my family of five ++++.

Kim

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #11

I always wanted one of those Csmp Chef stoves, but the size and weight kept me away so I have been using my coleman 2 burner stove I purchased in 1982 that is still going strong.

From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #12

We use our Sidekick grill all the time. I did cut off the top rack as it does seem very useless. On a side note, I purchased a 5 lb bottle and an 8' hose and regulator assembly for my mine also. That way i can move it somewhere else if I am cooking some really greasy food that flames up a lot, or even take it to the beach or on a picinic. The wall bracket for the grill also works as a stand for the grill.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I use my RVQ mounted to the side of the TT.
It isn't real uniform as far as heat goes, but gets the job done.

When it wears out, I probably won't replace it with same.

I'll get a Weber or something stand alone.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #14

I wouldn't grill that close to the trailer and awning.
I used my grill mount to mount a TV.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...hlight=cheetah
gcatrambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #15

We debated about just getting a Coleman. Our friends whom we camp with every month have one and it works just great. Their parents bought them the same Camp Chef that we have for Christmas and they haven't used it yet. If you're just cooking for two or just one thing the CC is a bit of overkill. But when we group camp and take turns cooking and I have a lot to cook, it's a rock star. Cooks fast (watch out of it burns!) and cooks a lot. If it's just for two and it's just chili, it's a bit much and I'd rather have the Coleman. Different strokes for different campers AND different camps!

Kim

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Nope, I hook my grill up to the low pressure QD fitting on the trailer and set it up to 20' away on the CG picnic table.
Hey Mcfarmall, could you please take a pic and post it up next time you use it? Also where did you get your 20 foot hose to use, and what kind of grill? I read somewhere that there might be regulator issues with some grills.

Thanks in advance.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #17

Lurker-- The regulater issue comes into play when you tap the gas line after the regulater on the tt and your grill also has a regulater, therefore the pressure is too low at the grill. Grills like the RVQ II don't have a regulater so they can be plugged into the quick disconnect( which is after the tt regulater) under the tt . You can tap the gas line, on the tt, between the tank and the regulator and go to a standard grill which as a built in regulator. Am I clear as mud lol Larry
Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #18
Site Team

Most hardware stores and rv suppliers have the longer hose and quick disconnect connections. Just remember the LP from the frame mounted Quick Disc. is already regulated. If your grill has an internal regulator, you may not get the heat you want without more mods.

There are loads of threads and pictures on this forum on this subject.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #19

I purchased an adapter from Marshall Gas controls that connects to the tank before the regular on the TT. From there I plug in a 12 foot hose to the coleman stove. I think I got those parts at Adventure RV.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #20

We use ours all the time. Not a lot of cooking space, but it works great for my wife and I.. She'll cook the side dish in the camper, I'm cooking dogs, burgers or chicken outside. No issues at all.

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote