Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2017, 05:45 PM   #1

Safety struts for rear bumper

I purchased a set of safety struts from Mount-N-Lock and installed them as support for my 4 in. bumper. They bolt to the RV frame and not to the bumper. Mount-N-Lock advertises that these will increase the rear load carried to 400 lbs.
These are fantastic and work as advertised. I carried a Honda eu3000is on the back of my Jayco Hybrid from southern Arizona all the way to Washington state and back. Never a problem. The bumper welds never broke thanks to the brackets supporting it being bolted to the RV frame.
Just wanted folks to know this is a great product. My Honda weigh's about 150 lbs empty, close to 200 lbs with gas. Just make sure to use ratchet style tie downs to hold your generator down.
JaycoNArizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #2

Nice. My buddy just bought a Solaire 24 foot and he was interested in these. Thanks for the review!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #3

I can only speak highly of the products as well. I was worried I got the wrong size/style and txt'ed them photos of the bumper and setup (on a SAT) and they texted back in a few hours, with what they recommend.

I installed them on our 16XRB. After a discussion with Jayco, who was less than helpful giving my ANY specs on the capacity of the bumper "only the load of the spare tire, as installed from the factory".
To which I asked "What is the weight of the Spare tire? Does that include the weight of the Mount? With Steel or Aluminum Rim?"

If they can't provide any real technical specifications, than they really are useless.

So I installed them as I also installed a Sportsman Dual Fuel Generator (91 lbs), by using two Curt 4" Bumper Mount Receiver Hitch Adapters, cutting some 2" steel and mounting the Generator to that. Moved the Tire over to the Driver Side, and the Generator as close to the Passenger frame rail as possible to provide the most support.
5000 miles and it is still rock solid.

I wrote up my setup on my blog here:
Sportsman Generator Setup – Texan Traveler

It turned out very well and I feel confident that I am not going to break the bumper off and not notice until I stop to fill up with Gas.

The cable lock is just for visual security. I mean it is locked down, and the hitch lock is there too, but when people drive by in the Walmart parking lot, they see the cable too and just move on.
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

I also ran a cable and lock around my generator. We camped most of our 3 weeks up there but did stay in a hotel occasionally.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #5

My idea was I'd rather have a visual deterrent over then coming up and trying to take it, then noticing that I have a hitch lock on the carrier.
I also run it though the spare tire as well.

It is just easy to do, and then I also have that at camp if I need to lock something up, or lock the generator to a tree, which I have yet to have to do.

Happy New Year All!
Old 12-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #6

I've been on the edge about these for a while. What would you guys think about sliding a 4x4 wood post into the bumper for extra strength?
Old 12-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #7

That would make it much more rigid, but then you lose the storage for a the drain hose.
You can get a lot cheaper bumper hitches if you just use the Ubolt kind, but that can crush the square tube.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #8

I'll added them to my last TT and had them for 2 years riding around with a bike rack and 3 bikes on the bumper. I never had any problems. Just make sure that you periodically check the welds to make sure all looks well.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:04 AM   #9

OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTraveler View Post
That would make it much more rigid, but then you lose the storage for a the drain hose.
You can get a lot cheaper bumper hitches if you just use the Ubolt kind, but that can crush the square tube.
I've been planning on adding the 5" fencepost to hold the stinky anyway.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #10

The beauty of these struts is that even if the cheap bumper welds broke everything is still supported by the struts bolted to the frame. I did check the bumper welds and strut bolts from time to time. Everything was always fine. We drove about 5000 miles on this trip crisscrossing Oregon and California and Southern Washington.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #11

Honda

[QUOTE=My Honda weigh's about 150 lbs empty, close to 200 lbs with gas. [/QUOTE]

Jake that seems high?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #12

Honda eu3000IS generator dry weight = 131 lbs
3.4 gallons of gas = 27.2 lbs
MountNLock generator carrier = 28 lbs

Total weight= 186 pounds

By the way, the MountNLock cargo/generator carrier is a great buy. My Honda fit perfectly on it. Mine was steel but it can be purchased in aluminum.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #13

Also add 9.2 pounds for the wheel kit I installed on the Honda.

Now I'm up to 195.2 pounds.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #14

Yeah, I stand corrected. I thought I saw a EU3000 weight of 78 pounds somewhere. Your numbers are right on:

Honda EU3000iS Model Info | Super Quiet 3000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

I like the configure-ability of that generator carrier, but might want something a tad bigger if I go this route. That company does have some nice kit.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:51 PM   #15

Honda does make a smaller EU3000i. It's called a 3000handi. It's a smaller engine, lighter weight but still has a 30amp plug.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #16

I decided to give these strut supports a try. Also ordered their generator platform support arms but I think I'm going with an aluminum cargo box instead.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #17

All, yes ALL, of the cargo boxes are junk if they don't have two mount points. Meaning the ones that are a simple Receiver Hitch Type.
They wiggle up and down on each end because the hitch is not that tight (by design).

If I were to use a receiver hitch cargo box, I'd devise some way to put two at least a second mounting point to stabilize it.
But if you use 2 4" bumper mount receiver hitch adapter, then you can just cut 2" square tube like I did on my generator and have a mount that is rock solid.

I know people do it, but I like my stuff higher and tighter than wiggly womping around on the back of the rig.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:51 PM   #18

Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTraveler View Post
All, yes ALL, of the cargo boxes are junk if they don't have two mount points. Meaning the ones that are a simple Receiver Hitch Type.
They wiggle up and down on each end because the hitch is not that tight (by design).

If I were to use a receiver hitch cargo box, I'd devise some way to put two at least a second mounting point to stabilize it.
But if you use 2 4" bumper mount receiver hitch adapter, then you can just cut 2" square tube like I did on my generator and have a mount that is rock solid.

I know people do it, but I like my stuff higher and tighter than wiggly womping around on the back of the rig.
I like your solution (saw your website) but also hoping this approach will save a little weight.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #19

I say "box", meaning more like "platform". Probably aluminium.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #20

I just ordered a set for my Whitehawk so I can put my bikes on the back.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk