Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

Sanitize the fresh water tank,,,

Howdy folks. We purchased out 19XUD new last March. I have never used the fresh water tank, as all the places we go have at least water and electric hookups. That said, I can see where it would be beneficial to have a few gallons in the potable water tank for quick potty breaks, etc. How difficult is it to sanitize it for use?
Badbird2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

Really not very difficult. Takes several hours, but most of that is wait time. Total active time is about 30 minutes. Just search Sanitize here on JOF and you will get several good threads with the process. Most folks use standard bleach (with no additives). I use IOSan which is a food safe sanitizer used in the dairy industry (less lingering taste and smell). Process is pretty much the same either way; fill system with proper concentration solution, wait correct amount of time, drain system, flush system, use system.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:34 AM   #3

It is really easy! I do it over two days. The hardest part is getting the bleach into the tank. I have spilt it more than once on my shoes, hence I now do it a bit differently than most. With the pump turned off, I take the outside shower head off, shove shower hose into the gravity fill port, open the cold water valve. Go inside and set the water pump bypass valves to winterizing. I then take a pitcher of strong bleach water solution, and pump it through the pipes into the tank. Then top the tank off with fresh water. Pump some of the solution through all the pipes, including the water heater. I let it site over night. Next day, pump a bunch of the solution through the pipes, than drain everything to the ground. I open my low point valves on my FW tank, add some water, let it drain, I will do this a couple times to dilute any residual solution. The last time, I pump a bunch of water thought the pump, to clear that line. Then I connect to the city water connection and flush the lines really well, until I do not smell any bleach in the water. I do this at home and leave my grey water tank valve open.

It works good and easy. As I am flushing, I am usually doing my spring cleaning or repacking the TT.

It is easy, just takes a bit of time.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #4

Can someone remind me what the ratio of bleach to water is? I have a 48 gallon fresh water tank. Will a cup of bleach do? Thanks.
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawley View Post
Can someone remind me what the ratio of bleach to water is? I have a 48 gallon fresh water tank. Will a cup of bleach do? Thanks.
1/4 cup of regular bleach per 15 gallons. I would sanitize the hot water tank also. Use regular bleach, not the spill proof or bleach with added fragrance. Those have things in them that you do not want to drink.

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System

Your Jayco book will tell you the same thing.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
I would sanitize the hot water tank also.

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System

Your Jayco book will tell you the same thing.
I don't think you're supposed to get sanitizing solution in the hot water heater.

From my owners manual:

When to sanitize:

When your recreation vehicle is new.

At the beginning and end of each season.

When the water system becomes contaminated or every three months of use.
How To Sanitize
1. Turn water heater power OFF (storage style-both electric and LP gas switches; tank lesswater heater turn power switch OFF).

2. Set the bypass valves to BYPASS (refer to Water Heater Bypass Valves section).

3. Level the RV and drain the fresh water system (see Draining the Fresh Water System).

4. Close the low point drain valves and the fresh water tank drain valve.

5. If the RV has a cartridge type water filter it must be removed and bypassed using the (supplied) bypass tube. Sanitizer should never be allowed into a water filter.

6. Prepare a chlorine solution using 1/4 cup of household bleach (sodium hypochlorite solution) to one gallon (3.785 liters) of water in a container. Prepare one gallon of solution for every 15 gallons of tank capacity. This will result in a residual chlorine concentration of 50 ppm in the water system.
If a 100-ppm concentration is required, use ½ cup of household bleach with one gallon of water to prepare the chlorine solution. One gallon of the solution should be used for each 15 gallons of tank capacity.

7. Put the sanitizer solution in the fresh water tank. Insert one end of a hose (or funnel) in the gravity fill inlet; insert the other end into a container holding the chlorine solution. Do not use your non-toxic drinking water hose. Pour the chlorine solution into the gravity fill.

8. Remove the hose (or funnel) and container used to pour the chlorine solution, and continue filling the fresh water tank with clean (potable) water until tank is full. Pour fresh water into the gravity fill inlet until tank is completely full. After the recommended amount of sanitizing solution is in the tank, the water tank is full, and water filter has been removed and bypassed, turn the pump ON which sends sanitizer into the water lines.

9. Open all hot water faucets one by one until water begins to flow continuously and a chlorine smell is noticeable. Include outside shower faucets (if so equipped).

10. Close the hot water faucets and repeat opening all cold water faucets one by one until you smell chlorine. Include outside shower faucets (if so equipped) and toilet.

11. Turn OFF the water pump.

12. Let the solution remain in the tank & lines for at least four hours when disinfecting with 50-PPM residual chlorine. If a shorter time period is desired, then a 100-PPM chlorine concentration should be permitted to sit in the system for at least one hour.

13. After the required period, drain the chlorine solution from the fresh water system. Since the water heater was bypassed there should be no sanitizer in the (storage) tank water heater. Rinse the system with fresh water

14. Fill the fresh water tank full of clean (potable) water. Fill fresh water tank from an external container. Pour fresh water into the gravity fill inlet using a hose (or funnel).

15. Power to water heater should be OFF (both switches: electric & LP gas). When the fresh water tank is full, turn the pump ON to send water through the lines.

16. Run water through all faucets (hot & cold, including outside shower) until chlorine smell is gone. Turn faucets and outside shower off, turn pump OFF.

17. Then, drain the fresh water system again (see Draining the Fresh Water System).

18. Set water heater bypass to NORMAL: Allows water into the water heater. Replace the water heater drain plug.

19. Refill the fresh water tank with fresh water again and when water heater is full of water, turn the water heater power ON.

NOTE: To thoroughly sanitize the fresh water tank, the unit
should be driven around for a period of time allowing the
solution to splash the sides and top of the tank

I keep a gallon jug and specific funnel I use only for sanitizing my water system.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #7

Sanitizing the water tank

I am a medical technologist (new name is clinical laboratory scientist) for close to 50 years now. To clean our lab counters, especially microbiology, we use a 5% bleach solution which translates roughly 6 to 7 ounces per 128 ounces which is a gallon.
On our first trip of the season, I fill my water tank about 1/2 full by estimate only. No measuring. I then add plain bleach to the formula of ( tank size in gallons/2) X 6 ounces.(3/4 cup). Using a 4 cup clear glass pyrex-like measuring cup, I pour in the number of ounces of bleach I calculated. Cap the intake and drive off to our camp site usually 30 to 60 minutes away. The driving shakes the water/bleach mixture up and splashes all of tank.
At the campgrounds, I usually pull in to the black water dump that usually has potable water, go in the camper and run the mix through each faucet for a couple of minutes. I then go out and drain the mix through the tank outlet. Water/bleach mixture degrades very quickly especially in sunlight. A quick rinse dilutes it even more. I then fill the tank full and drive to my campsite. A few seconds of running water for each faucet cleans out any remaining chlorine and I am set for the season. Easy to do.
lfcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #8

Just my .02, having done this yesterday. I wouldn’t do it at beginning of my camping trip at the campground dump station. Do it at home so you can rinse, flush, repeat a few times. Sometimes it takes me 3-4 tanks worth to get rid of the chlorine smell. And really, wouldn’t you rather be setting up and getting a cold beer ready? Ha!
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:24 AM   #9

DW found this RV Inline Sanitizer and we used it for the 1st time this season. Sure makes getting the bleach into the fresh tank easier. Just make sure all the connections are tight.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote