Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

Screws Falling Out?

We just got back from our first big outing with our x17z. We bought it last spring and only used it a couple of times at local campgrounds.
This week we took it to the Little Rock Air Force Base from Grand Rapids MI. All highways. No off-roading.
When we arrived at our site and started getting things opened up I found several screws on the floor and a couple of wing nuts. We also noticed a big chunk of the laminate was broken off next to the stove. Upon closer inspection, it looks like most of the screws were from the stove. I could only find one holding the thing in and that looks to be the one that broke the counter. The whole unit was loose. A couple more screws were sitting next to a burner.
I am going to be making an appointment with the dealer I bought it from to hopefully get this taken care of.
Has anyone else had this happen?
We kind of decided on this trip that this model is a little small and will probably be upsizing next spring. I like Jayco, but I don't want to make a bigger investment next year and have it fall apart after one trip.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #2

You would not believe how many loose screws come out of the woodwork when transporting new units from the factory. I have literally picked up handfulls of screws during the walk around inspection with the dealer. Jayco is no more immune to this than any other manufacturer. If your trailer only went from Middlebury to Grand Rapids and then a few local locations then it's likely all the "loose screws" didn't bounce out yet ha ha! If the stove came loose and broke the counter top I think I would be fighting to have Jayco / dealer take care of that repair.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #3

That is just ridiculous, I like Jayco too but you just never know what you will end up with anymore. Seems like anything that goes down an assembly line is a gamble. My unit is a new Eagle and I haven't had it long, still getting to know it, and everything works and is solid so far knock on wood. It's your dealers job to make this right, and I really hope they do so. Newer units are expensive and I hold the dealer to high standards. Good luck to you.
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

We are on our 2nd trip in our new 24FBS. Landed in AZ a few days ago and found 3 screws on the floor. The screws fell out of the window valances but there is nothing to screw them back in to....just a hole. The old toothpick trick did not work. I'll keep trying to firm up before we leave next week but all else is good. The 15K A/C works great in 90 deg. AZ heat. This Jayco rocks!
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #5

Every year I spend some time checking every screw I can find inside the RV. Over time they can loosen up from miles of towing. Also a good idea to check under the unit for loose wires, cables, etc. My guess is that once you get all the screws back in place you'll be good to go.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #6

Overall construction of Jaycos is solid andf they are built to last. However fit and finish leaves something to be desired. I have bought 3 new Jaycos in a 20 year period and I have to do minor repairs and adjustments on every one of them during the first year of ownership.

I had loose screws after the first summer in our '93 1208 PUP. And on our '03 Kiwi 17a hybrid the screws holding microwave in all came out within a year. I ended up using bigger ones. I just dewinterized our X20E but I still need to do an overall inspection to see what needs to be tightened up.

The good news is that one this little stuff is fixed you usually don't have to mess with it again.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #7

loose screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Overall construction of Jaycos is solid andf they are built to last. However fit and finish leaves something to be desired. I have bought 3 new Jaycos in a 20 year period and I have to do minor repairs and adjustments on every one of them during the first year of ownership.

I had loose screws after the first summer in our '93 1208 PUP. And on our '03 Kiwi 17a hybrid the screws holding microwave in all came out within a year. I ended up using bigger ones. I just dewinterized our X20E but I still need to do an overall inspection to see what needs to be tightened up.

The good news is that one this little stuff is fixed you usually don't have to mess with it again.
Can't agree more with the above. When we got our unit in it had already made a long trip from the factory to Georgia. Even though the dealer had gone through it, when we got it home, we went through it again. Walked all around and under the unit looking at all the parts I could access. Tightened up all the screws just to be on the safe side. Continue to get some coming loose after each trip almost. Especially with the side bars/shades on the windows. We have a lot of rough roads I guess in Georgia but that is just part of maintaining your unit. Jayco does warranty for two years so that is a whole year longer than other dealers. We are on our third new Jayco and still pleased overall.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

These things are like boats or airplanes, there's ALWAYS something that needs attention. I have found several screws that were apparently dropped during assembly and were hiding waiting for me to find. Overall I've been very pleased with the quality with both units.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #9

I guess John Bender was right: "Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place."
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #10

I have an appointment scheduled with the service department where I bought it. We'll see what they say.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #11

We have a X23B and the two screws at the bottom of the stove popped out after picking it up at the dealership when we purchased it. After our first trip we brought the trailer back to the dealer for a few minor issues. When we picked it up and drove home the same two screws were sitting on the floor. Looks like something I have to rectify myself.
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcamnl View Post
I have an appointment scheduled with the service department where I bought it. We'll see what they say.
Listen to the posts above about having to do regular walk a rounds with everything. It just happens with these things that are on all kinds of roads their entire life just twisting and turning. I have to do adjustments around the house and it doesn't move!
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #13

I've been having to replace lots of screws in my 2013 351 RLTS. Putting the same screws back in the holes doesn't work because the threads are stripped. I believe they are overtightening the screws with their screw guns at the factory.

I've just been putting in larger screws and carefully tightening them by hand.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Site Team

Screws Falling Out?

Put a little wood glue on a toothpick and break
It off level with the screw hole, then put the same screw back in
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #15

We have a 2011 X19H and it is not just little things that are happing I Jayco has gone down hill.I don't think they are as good as they use to be.We have had to have floor replace twice A/C freeze's up (told it is normal) Awning does not work right (taking it in to be looked at)Trim is falling off on inside.Canbinet door glass replaced as it was damaged.
Furnace had to be fixed after one use.And yes we brought it new we are the first owners and we do nit abuse it.It is wash after every use and waxed twice a year my me and I am 61 and know a little about camping but not an expert
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote