Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #1

Seasoning in the 17Z

Hi all, we got our 17z last summer, and love it. We found a beautiful place where we decided to go seasonal for this summer. We live about 30 minutes from the campground, and plan on being there every weekend. I am looking for others experience or opinions on leaving the 17z open/set up, versus closing it up and reopening weekly on Fridays and Sundays. Security is not an issue at all where it is, just wondering about wear and tear, one way or the other. Appreciate your comments.

Rob
Robcr@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #2

IMO, for what it's worth, both hybrids & pop-ups are not designed to open continuously. The tent material has a certain life span, which will last for years when used and cared for properly. But it you attempt to use this type of trailer as a park model you will see the material age quickly with constant UV and all the other elements. Security may not be an issue, but animals maybe? If your traveling days are over I personally would consider another type of trailer. If that is not an option I would be folding the beds in when I'm not there. Why age your tent material through the weekdays if your only there on the weekends. Hope it works out for you...
cablerum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #3

I agree with cablerum. I would close it at the end of the weekend. Sun and weather can do alot of damage
sunstarsmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #4

ROBCR-- You could leavr it open if you covered your ends therefore eliminating the sun/weather damage, also be sure to leave the frig on auto. Larry
Old 04-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback and comments, all good. We weren't expecting to get into a seasonal so fast, but found an awesome river front spot. If we love it we will definately be trading up to much larger trailer at the end of the season. I also realized that weather will be a factor, so I think a good compromise will be to close it up with the weekend weather is good, but leave it open if it is wet on Sundays, and come back during the week to close it up dry. Thanks all and happy camping.

Rob
Robcr@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #6

I am in the same sort of delema that you are in. With the high cost of fuel my Z will be sitting on a lot we own. I have been using it every weekend and sometimes during the week. So far I have only had to leave the camper bunkend open one week. I had suspended a huge tarp over the entire camper to keep the pine sap off, but the spring winds have been too much and I took it down last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5465.jpg   IMG_5471.jpg  

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats