Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

Security

Hello everyone. We are very new to this whole RVing game. My wife and I just bought a new x17z. My "Question of the Day" is: should you fold the beds back up in the morning and keep them there until used again? The main reason I ask is for security. The doors, exterior shower, fold down ends, storage compartment all have locks. But it would seem to me to be a simple operation to just slice the canvas open while the beds are down and have at it. What do you all do to prevent thievery?
LifeIsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #2

We have a 23B; I just leave the bunk end down, while out and about. No difference than a pop-up. If someone wants in they will. I do have to admit I do close it up at night at home as we live in the inner city and the rig is kept on the street.

Congratulations, on your 17Z, that is a nice rig.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

The bunk ends on our x17z are open from the time we unhitch at the CG till will pull out again later. I figure if they want in... they'll get in. I find campers tend to look out for each other too.
dddire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #4

Congratulations on your new camper. I have the 2010 model. They dont' even have to cut the tenting if they want in. The screens on the end of the bunkend unzip. It is an emergency exit. It also makes it easier to make the beds. One person inside and the taller person outside. As far as security, if you are worried put the bunks away and lock the bunkends. Even then someone could break a window or rip the door open if they really want in. I leave my camper open. I don't lock the door when out. I would rather someone come in the door and not cut the tenting.

Happy Camping

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #5

Thanks for all the answers. That puts my mind at ease.
Greg
LifeIsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #6

We have a x19h and we also leave the bunks down if someone wants in they will get in anyway they want
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #7

I agree with what has already been said. We camped in a pop-up for over 20 years and never had a problem.

Some of the most honest people are campers you know!
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #8

My OFF-ROAD POPUP has the outside door held in place with Velcro flaps... It is actually quicker gaining access to the inside by using your finger to open up the Velcro and reaching inside and opening the door then it is to use your key for the door lock haha...

I just never leave anything really valuable in the trailer. It is always in the back seat area of the truck...

We leave our beds extended...

I do have a motion detector setup for both the front and back side areas of the POPUP that will turn on a light under the awning when someone or something approaces the trailer (Front or back)...

Somethings kinda neat to what may be lurking just outside your tent bed ends... In most case it turns out to be just a deer hehe...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddire View Post
the bunk ends on our x17z are open from the time we unhitch at the cg till will pull out again later. I figure if they want in... They'll get in. I find campers tend to look out for each other too.

x2
2010 17Z
2010 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab HD Z71 Tow & Trailering PKG 6 Speed tranny.
shepwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #10

I can't tell you how many times we have locked the door and left the keys on the picnic table! LOL
We only ever had one issue, and it was years ago when we tent camped at a place in Gettysburg.
We setup the big brand new Eureka tent, and our screen house and drove off to check things out.
When we came back someone had slashed the tent in several places, as well as the screen house.
We reported it to the campground, and they were shocked. They believed a group they had trouble with the night before had done it when they left.
They helped us patch up the tent with duct tape, and refunded all our money for the stay.
The best part of the story is I wrote to Eureka and told them what happened and asked if they might be able to repair it, and they replaced the tent for free! Someone from their customer service department called me and told me they were so shocked about the story they got approval to replace it. To this day if someone wants a tent, I tell them to get a Eureka.
That was the one and only issue we ever had.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote