Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Seeing thru awning

5 yr old hybrid, my awning is showing wear and tear, with little areas I can see thru when sitting underneath. They don't leak yet. Anyone else experienced this? Concern or just aethestics?
ashmanbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #2

Depending upon where you live and how often they get sunlit, awnings last maybe five to eight years. Look close at the areas that appear transparent and you probably will se small cracks. You can get a couple more years using RV awning tape from Amazon like Camco
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #3

Our first hybrid was an '03. We owned it for 10 years. The awning was a Carefree of Colorado. I can't say the awning looked new when we traded it but it looked pretty good for being 10 years old. No wear through, the edges all looked good. Fading was minimal. During the time we owned that trailer I never really read anyone complaining about short awning life.

Our current hybrid has a Dometic awning. It's 6 years old. The entire awning is looking wrinkled and the edges are wonky looking. It's starting to look really crappy. It's not thin like yours but it's not nearly as good of quality as the old one.

There's no real reason a weekender trailer awning should last 10+ years.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #4

My 2011 Carefree of Colorado had the same issues. Where the awning rolled up and was exposed to the sun, started cracking & flaking. Used white Gorilla tape, running the length of the awning, seems to be holding up well. I've been using a piece of vinyl gutter to keep it covered while sitting in the yard between trips. Started that 2-3 years ago but I'm sure the damage was done by then.