Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #1

sewer hose storage 2006 EXP19H

I went out today to explore our recently purchased but not yet camped in by us, JayFeather hybrid. I opened the door to the waste hose and pulled it out. I found a new looking short slinky with a twist type fitting on one end and nothing on the other end.

But what I also found puzzles me. The PVC tube the hose slides into is about 2' long, slopes downward at the far end, and was filled with water. The far end seems to have a cap on it. I also discovered this tube isn't fastened to anything and it will and did fall down into the cavity. It didn't go far, so I was able to pull it back into place and raise the far end up to eliminate the water (and whatever was in the water) all over myself.

Is this normal? I plan to remove the door unit and take a peek inside there. Hopefully the water entry hasn't caused any damage.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #2

Could you post a picture? Is this the back bumper style hose storage? If it is you can buy replacement ends for the bumper that work well, should be level though.
Or you can buy bolt or strap on hose keepers made of plastic pipe that don't cover the pipe in rust every time you take it out. 45$ or so
Valterra RV Sewer Hose Carrier - Adjustable - 34" to 60" - Black
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #3

By 2011 a storage compartment for the stinky slinky was no longer a feature of the X19H. They did last longer on the X17 as it does not have a square bumper for storage. There won't be many of your vintage on here, so you may not get an answer to the "is this normal?" question, but I would expect that a negative slope inward is not normal.

On our '11 I found the bumper too tight for better quality hoses with heavier couplings, so I went with an underframe holder, similar to what @RogerR posted above, but homemade from a fence post cover and caps.

Here it is in the initial design phase. Once I got it right, the zip ties were replaced with strong metal strapping bolted around the frame members.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
On our '11 I found the bumper too tight for better quality hoses with heavier couplings, so I went with an underframe holder, similar to what @RogerR posted above, but homemade from a fence post cover and caps.

I looked at building one of those with the fence post cover and found all the pieces were way more expensive than buying one from Amazon. Maybe prices were just high here but I was surprised how much something so simple became.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Here are pictures of my unit. I will remove the door and pull the tube out to take a peek into the space. I added the PVC pipe above the bumper for our outdoor carpet.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #6

I could see that arrangement if the interior pipe had holes to drain the sewer hose. I may end up with the bumper mounted PVC for sewer storage as I don't have enough room underneath. I keep pool noodles in the bumper to put on the slide when extended.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
Site Team

If you want to still use that compartment, it'll come off easily. Besides the screws, there'll be some butyl tape stuck between it and the wall. Perhaps the tube needs to be glued, or however fastened to the hatch cover again. Maybe at a bit of an up-angle to allow it to drain outside.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #8

I'll pull the door and the tube off and take a look inside. It's not long enough as it is for my new 10' Rino hose. There may be enough room to install a longer tube and to secure it level or tilted slightly upward. Other wise I'll add a new storage pipe outside.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #9

Okay, that is roughly where I thought it would be. The good news is you can probably access it from the inside if you want. The BAD news is that it is a really lousy location. If that tube ever leaks inside, it is dripping right down on top of your power distribution centre. IMO, I would abandon it and seal the opening.

If you do want to support the other end, you should be able to access it by pulling the power centre out of it's hole and reaching up into the compartment. Better yet, the front panel can be removed from that whole box section, but you will need to cut along the bathroom wall to get it free. You can see what I mean in this photo where I was replacing the floor in our 19H:

With careful cutting, you won't really notice the seam later, but you can add a bit of caulk or molding when replacing the panel. It took me about 30 minutes to deconstruct this area; they used a combination of screws and staples to put it together, so you have to noodle out when you can pull, and when you shouldn't.

With access, I would try a loop of metal strapping attached to the underside of the shelf to hold the tube in place and prevent future sagging.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #10

Thank you for the great picture and advice for accessing the area. I will most likely seal up the door opening and abandon it. It concerns me greatly how much water I found inside the tube. No doubt some water ran out the near end of the loose tube and into that hidden space. I'll use a mirror and light to peek inside that area.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
Thanks for the replies. Here are pictures of my unit. I will remove the door and pull the tube out to take a peek into the space. I added the PVC pipe above the bumper for our outdoor carpet.

John, what is that white tube on the back of the bumper for? Good chance the previous owner kept their sewer line in there.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
John, what is that white tube on the back of the bumper for? Good chance the previous owner kept their sewer line in there.
"I added the PVC pipe above the bumper for our outdoor carpet."
Old 04-08-2020, 07:43 AM   #13

Yes, I added that pipe above the bumper for the outdoor carpet. I had two of them on our popup. I have ordered the aluminum bars needed to add another one of those pipes to carry the sewer hose. I decided to abandon and seal the existing door. The tube there is to small in diameter for my new rhino hose anyway. I did check inside that cavity and found no sign of water or of water having been in there. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:06 AM   #14

My trailer has the exact same poop tube setup. I've not noticed any problems so far but thanks for the heads up--I'll keep an eye on it!
Old 04-08-2020, 10:26 AM   #15

Just FYI...keep an eye on those bungies, as I lost a cover on the opposite side since I never access the hose from that side.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #16

Will do.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #17

One last picture. I added the other pipe for the sewer hoses, elbows, and caps. Problem solved. I plan to seal the original door closed. I removed the short pipe.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
I looked at building one of those with the fence post cover and found all the pieces were way more expensive than buying one from Amazon. Maybe prices were just high here but I was surprised how much something so simple became.
Buy the sewer hose storage tube from Walmart they are cheaper than amazon.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #19

Just an FYI, I copied someone else's concept for the home made vinyl post cover carrier, and trimmed a vinyl gutter piece that slides inside of it. No biggie, but you can store and access the full length from one side.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #20

I had the same built in tube which is way too short. So I added one of those aftermarket tubes running underneath the chassis. I now use the small compartment to hold my rubber gloves.
bobm is offline   Reply With Quote