Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #11

RVhiker, your assumptions are correct. I am out of town right now, but will confirm with a multimeter this weekend.

SMS1115, that is exactly what I encountered and I am not sure if that is normal.

bucko, you may be right. I am not sure if my converter provides 12V DC when on shore power with no battery. I do not think there are different models of the IOTA 45. So that may be a quick google search. The battery was removed as I have the camper stored on my property for winter. I plugged it into shore power so I could turn the lights on (hiding kids xmas presents)

Sw7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #12

A quick Google search locates several sites selling the Iota 45 Charger/Converter. Those sites indicate that this converter can be used with or without a battery.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:11 PM   #13

hoppers4, I also found that info. My unit is only a year old and has a 2 yr warranty. I have emailed the staff at IOTA. SMS115, said his unit would do the same thing. Is it possible that my camper is wired to need the battery to complete a circuit?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

I can understand the confusion. An RV doesn't work like ones home. If the lights go off at my house the problem is usually a bulb or a circuit breaker, rarely a switch, Or the whole thing goes down with the neighborhood Or just me if I don't pay my bill.

Your RV has three electrical systems, uses both 120VAC and 12VCD, and several sources of power. It is also subject to earthquakes when traveling or in use that loosens stuff up, and there are problems with corrosion as well. The source of power, the pedestal, can be problematical, you can have a hot skin, etc.

Never a dull moment. Consider taking a service technician on vacay with you.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #15

I think the only to find out for sure is to get out a voltmeter and measure the output of the charger/converter. Either there's a bad connection somewhere or the converter quit working. Do you by some chance have a 12 volt disconnect somewhere in the rig that is turned off. This should be a momentary switch. Poke once to enable and poke again to disable.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #16

hoppers4, I do not believe my 2006 jayco 19H has a momentary or inertia switch. I replaced the IOTA unit last year when I thought it was inoperable. Same symptoms. I wonder if I have a different problem. I used the camper all summer with no problem. But I always have the battery installed during spring,summer,fall. I only remove it in the winter to maintain it in the garage on a battery tender.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:13 PM   #17

Well, shoot, I really won't be able to troubleshoot further without taking some measurements. Looking at the specs of the converter (not a 3 stage) I would have to say though that the battery tender is a good choice.
Perhaps those sites that sell these converters have the wrong info, especially if you've already swapped it out once with the same results. Sounds like SMS1115 has the right answer.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:41 AM   #18

I'm not sure about this and it's not easy for me to go check. There are several wires that get tied together at the positive post of the battery. I seem to recall that there is a wire going to the 12v distribution (it has the 30A fuse) and a separate wire from the converter that charges the battery. When the battery is removed these wires are no longer connected to each other so the converter output isn't connected to the 12v distribution.
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #19

That makes sense waynem.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #20

Update----Tested the terminals today with no battery installed. Produced 13.77 volts. That means the Iota converter is working and making the right power when on shore power. It also means that the battery has to be installed for 12V accessories to work when on shore power. SMS115 and waynem were correct. Thanks!