Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #1

Shower curtain mod X17Z

The shower in our X17Z is pretty small so I'm thinking of putting in an Extend A Shower rod. Our shower is in a quarter round space.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Showers-...hoCN9AQAvD_BwE

Are there studs behind the walls? The rod is about 3 lbs and I don't want to pull the screws out of the wall.

Has anyone any experience with this rod or even attaching items of some weight to the walls?
Thanks!

LChapman
Lchapman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #2

The answer on studs - sort of...

The outside wall is laminated construction, that means aluminum 'studs' with foam sandwiched between the inner and outer wall. An electronic stud finder with a metal setting should help you find one, but don't necessarily expect 16"o/c like house construction. They also add wood backers where accessories attach, so there may be something there, although my track attaches to the ceiling.

I think (not sure) that the wall between the bunk and bath is more traditional construction based on what I have seen in videos of the assembly line. Might actually be wood construction (I know the knee wall beside it is on my X19H). Again, a stud finder on wood or metal would help determine this (try it from the bunk side as the shower surround might interfere).

Warning as well about fastening to the exterior wall. These walls are only about 1" thick and the foam is solid. Look carefully at a door or window frame to see just how thin they are. If you don't have a stud or backer where you need it, your options are limited. Drywall anchors would probably pull out as the inner wall panels are thin and not as sturdy as drywall. Butterfly bolts run the risk of not opening with the surrounding foam, and you run the risk of perforating the outside wall if you try to pilot out a hole.

I have yet to put a hole through a wall to hang anything in ours. We rely on the wide variety of Command products to put stuff up on the wall. The things that Jayco does screw into the wall (towel and toilet paper holders) pull off with the lightest of pressure.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod, shower curtain, x17z