Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #1

Side-mounted residential A/C

Anyone know why some of the new Jayco hybrids have traditional roof-mounted A/C units and some have the side-mounted residential units?

We just bought a 2016 17XFD, which has the side unit, but seeing lots online with one on top... wondering if one is a "newer" decision they went with. The rear vent for the A/C is an actual screen cut out from the side, so it looks like it came from the factory that way.

Even the website for 2017 shows a roof unit in the stylized trailer picture at the top of the page, but the actual photos at the bottom show it having the side unit.

TV 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
TT 2016 Jay Feather 17XFD Hybrid
pfalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
Site Team

I've seen that style of A/C on other brands of smaller TT's for a few years. Just my opinion, but it's got to be about the money. Easier to install, and cheaper to buy.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #3

Based on dealer prices it is at least 200$ cheaper than a roof air. For a smaller trailer like my 195rb it seems to do a good job. I had roof air in my popups but they were even more noisy than the cheapo the factory installed. If it fails I will replace with a slightly more expensive but quieter brand.
I did not like the idea of ice and snow in my AC so I covered it for the winter with plastic window material.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

The roof air is the optional version of the A/C. If you are in a mild climate ie a northern state, you could probably get away with the 8000 BTU side unit. We live in Florida....our dealer doesn't even order them without the 13500 BTU roof units.... if you want uber cooling, the bigger unit is the way to go.

P.S. an 8000 BTU window A/C is rated for cooling 340 sq. ft.
Cutfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #5

i recently purchased a 2017 17xfd and it has the roof ac, maybe because i live in alabama, and it gets hot here. but i like the roof one better casue looking at the pics online the side ac is right behind the tv stand and i think that is a design flaw on jaycos part
Therobbins41406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #6

2016 Feather 7 18RBM and it has a side mounted AC. It does a good job on our smaller trailer.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote