Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #1

Sidewall A/C do I have an problem? Help Please

Hi All, I searched and searched to no avail. We used our A/C for the first time this weekend. We have a 2016 Jayco 17fxd with the sidewall A/c. We ran it for about 20 minutes and found it strange that there was no condensate. When I rocked the camper getting out the condensate came out. We were almost level but a tad lower on the A/C side. There is a black box frame on the outside of the camper that protects the back of the AC unit. The water started coming from the black frame against the exterior wall (where the screws are on the bottom of the frame) not out of the front of the black frame. I want to make sure that it is normal because I do not want to risk de-lamination. We stopped using the AC as soon as we noticed it.

Thanks for any help!
Brutalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:43 PM   #2

I don't have a solution but you are wise to turn it off - I kept it running when I started having similar issues this summer and the cabinet swelled from water damage :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sarah94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #3

We brought our 16 home 2 weeks ago and ran the AC and the water is coming out the bottom of the plate and not the weep cut holes. I spoke to our RV and confirmed, it should be coming out the cutouts. We won't run it and it's going in for service.
Attached Thumbnails
AC.jpg  
twisterbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisterbret View Post
We brought our 16 home 2 weeks ago and ran the AC and the water is coming out the bottom of the plate and not the weep cut holes. I spoke to our RV and confirmed, it should be coming out the cutouts. We won't run it and it's going in for service.
That is interesting twisterbret and thanks for the feedback, I brought the trailer to the dealer and they said it was normal. They were going to run it and test it though since it is still under warranty. I am not sure what to believe but thinking about it rain could force it's way back there and the lower portion of the black frame is not caulked which would make me believe they expected the water to leak out. we will see. Let me know what you find out and how it works after they fix it. I would also be concerned about how many fins you have bent on the ac unit as well. If it was like that when you bought it I would make them replace the unit.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #5

I usually have lots of condensate dripping from the black trim holes but if the trailer is tilting up I may not have gotten as much. So where did it go, not to the inside so maybe into the wall void?

Would be very interested to find out if there is any internal caulk or sealant I could add.

Those fins can be "combed" out using an AC comb. Be very careful if you do it yourself to avoid damaging the coils. Your amount of damage will probably not really effect heat output anyway.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #6

TwisterBret, I contacted Jayco and got the following reply about the water comming from behind the black shroud.

"
Thank you for your email into customer service. In regards to your question about your AC and the water coming from this area on the out side of the unit. I have talked to a few techs in regards to this and they stated that this is per design of the unit. You would need to make sure that you have the out side around the AC vent sealed and also the refrigerator vent will need clear silicon seal around to keep the water out of the wall of the unit. One other precaution that you could do to help keep water out of that area, you could take the bottom screws of the AC vent on the out side unscrews and put a small amount of the clear silicon on the tip of the screw and then screw it back into the wall. This will help seal up the hole that the screw goes into the side wall. If you have more questions in regards to your unit and how to maintain it please feel free to call or email me here in customer service and warranty and I will be happy to help you out. Thank you and I hope this helped you out. Have a great day!! "
Old 10-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I would be sure that the bottom of the cutout is sealed (even if I had to remove the unit) and that the screen around the condenser coil is at least sealed on the Top and sides. Leave the bottom unsealed so water can escape. You even can install a vinyl window drip-cap under the screen so the water doesn't sip in the outside refrigerator access door. Under normal running conditions the water should evaporate but humid conditions are different.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote