Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #1

Solar panel advice

We’ve been Boondocking and seen a lot of people using solar panels. Do the solar panels only charge your 12 V battery? Or can you run other things off that solar panel? I know nothing about the whole solar panel but in very intrigued. What is the difference of bringing a generator? We are using the 2013 X 23B.
Thank you!
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #2

You can run anything that runs off 12v, lights, furnace, the “for how long” depends on the amp hours of your batteries. The controller converts solar to power and charges and maintains the batteries. Do your research, take notes and you’ll have a solid grasp on Solar power. Renogy website has lots of information and great customer service and support.
Here’s a link to a excellent starting kit : Renogy 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit w/ 40A Rover MPPT Charge Controller + MC4 Connectors +Tray Cable+ Mounting Z Brackets for RV, Boat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VY9DVY9..._-C-8EbT942B0Y

You do have to have the Controller hooked up to the batteries BEFORE connecting the panels to the Controller. And you have to disconnect the Panels from the Controller BEFORE disconnecting the batteries. I used several switches to make the process very simple.
Attached Thumbnails
0E307644-38F3-44DA-925B-629A1D628C5D.jpg  
Old 06-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #3

It can be easier than that. There are "suitcase" type panels that you can put out next to the trailer and plug into the "solar-on-the-side" SAE-type port that comes on the trailer. Panels are avialble with the controller built in. The controller takes the varying-voltage enrgy from the panels (e.g., clouds) and gives a steady 13V supply out the wire (at varying amperage) to charge the batteries.

The system i use is from "ACOPOWER" (https://smile.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-Po.../dp/B07D4PHKLP). The suitcase type panels are all exactly the same, likely made in china and re-branded, so you can go based on "is there a controller included" and price. Way cheaper than a rooftop/permanent insall, and you get the the flexibility of putting the panels in the sun if you're parked in the shade (you can get extension cord also). Downside is somebody can run off with them, but so far so good here with a bike lock through the handle.

We've camped for 4 or 5 days and had basically 2 full batteries when we left off the 100W system, but of course YMMV based on how much yuou use (mostly the heater fan) and how sunny it is.

But don't be scared, you can either go this simple route, or pay somebody to hook it all up for you with a beefier system for more money. But either way will be easier, quieter, and safer than a generator (no gas, no noise, can run all day regardless of if you're there, etc...)
Morttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:17 PM   #4

Exclamation

As i said, the panels are all Chinese made. "Andrew" (who is using a stock photo as a profile) has another post on this forum that recommends ECO-WORTHY panels...and The same name has several other posts about solar panels around the internet. Beware the under-the-radar ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Coates View Post
. As such, a solar panel enables you always to browse.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadows11 View Post
We’ve been Boondocking and seen a lot of people using solar panels.

1. Do the solar panels only charge your 12 V battery?

2. Or can you run other things off that solar panel?

I know nothing about the whole solar panel but in very intrigued.

3. What is the difference of bringing a generator? We are using the 2013 X 23B.
Thank you!

1. Yes - solar panels charge the battery. There are rare exceptions, but for all intents and purposes, you should think of it as such: solar panel's only job is to charge a 12V battery.

2. Again, for the purpose of teaching the basics - No. You can run other things off the battery. But, no, you don't run anything off the solar panel directly. See #1, the solar panel exists to put charge into the battery.

3. The generator can do two things: charge the 12V battery AND run the 120V electrical outlets.

It took me a while to understand the electrical systems in the RV. And a bit longer to understand solar.

But for starting out, I think it's best if you start from this premise: the purpose of the solar panels are to recharge the 12V house battery.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Coates View Post
A solar panel primarily offers that kind of reliability. With this, you can still power up your phones, gadgets, and other devices, depending on the solar panel’s capacity. As such, a solar panel enables you always to browse. While camping and traveling are about connecting to nature, browsing your phone or watching TV is a great way to end your day..

Think about what you posted.

Not at night.........................................

The solar panel charges the battery and it's the battery's job to power all of those devices you listed.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morttt View Post
As i said, the panels are all Chinese made. "Andrew" (who is using a stock photo as a profile) has another post on this forum that recommends ECO-WORTHY panels...and The same name has several other posts about solar panels around the internet. Beware the under-the-radar ads.
Regardless of his/her intent I can assure you that Renogy systems are legit. I’ve been running one of their 400W systems on my Jayco for almost 4 years now. I use one of their 100W suitcases on my cargo trailer as well. Both well built and I’ll be buying more soon.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morttt View Post
The same name has several other posts about solar panels around the internet. Beware the under-the-radar ads.
Just make sure not to go to his homepage listed in his profile. You'll be correct.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Andrew won't be back.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #10
PKW

Along the same lines as Meadows11, I am a newby when it comes to solar for my travel trailer. I just bought the Jayfeather 2020 X213 and have already used it four times in the past two months, and just spent three days dry camping up on the Grand Mesa with a generator. If I wanted to use solar panels to trickle charge my batteries, can I just plug them directly into the solar-ready port on the tongue, or is there more to it than that?
PKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKW View Post
Along the same lines as Meadows11, I am a newby when it comes to solar for my travel trailer. I just bought the Jayfeather 2020 X213 and have already used it four times in the past two months, and just spent three days dry camping up on the Grand Mesa with a generator. If I wanted to use solar panels to trickle charge my batteries, can I just plug them directly into the solar-ready port on the tongue, or is there more to it than that?
You need a set of panels that includes a charge controller. The output of the charge controller will either be an "Anderson connector" or the SAE connector on the tongue.

If its Anderson, It will either come with a short cable to convert to SAE, or you can get one on amazon. (e.g.: https://smile.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-Co...dp/B0794398MX/)

The only other variable is polarity. Unfortunately, the SAE connector can be either way (bare pin positive or negative). The charge controller lights won't light up if you get it backwards. You can reverse the pins on the Anderson connector with some pliers and a mini screwdriver, or you can get an SAE reverser (e.g., https://smile.amazon.com/Sunway-Sola.../dp/B07GPGPTFV).

Likely you won't need that though, i only needed it for the Battery Tender Solar, not for the suitcase panels.

You may also want an extension cable (either Anderson or SAE) to give you more range for the panels to move (esp. if you camp near trees)

Otherwise, its plug-in to the tongue port, put the panels in the sun and watch your battery level go up. Yes, its that easy. Total cost with 100W of panels and the adapters can be under $350. No need to pay for brand name panels. I use these and they work great to charge my 2x 12V batteries. Can go almost indefinitely with good sun in NorCal.

https://smile.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-Po.../dp/B07D4PHKLP
Old 08-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #12
Tad

I have the Renogy 400 with 30 amp controller. I have a 2017 23bhm . Just got back from a 6 day trip and it works fantastic. I have 2 6 volt batteries. Solar panels are on the roof. 32" TV and a dish satellite. Never ran out of power . Never went below 50 percent on any day. Had to run my Honda 2200 genny for 10 minutes a day to run my coffee pot. Definitely worth it if you boondock like we do
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote