Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

Somewhat Boondocking for the 1st time

Greetings all,
My family and I will be somewhat boondocking in a couple of weeks in Northern Michigan. For those of you that live in southern climates, Michigan gets pretty cold in late November. Our campsite will have electricity but no water and/or sewer hookups. My question is this: Approximately how long will a 20 pound Propane tank last if I have the thermostat for the furnace set at about 65 degrees? We plan on buying 2 electric blankets and maybe a portable heater to help keep us warm at night. I'm not worried about me, but my bride and daughters (aged 9 and 4) don't want to end up as popsicles. Our TT is an X19 Hybrid. Thank you for your input.
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It should last a few days anyways. Good thing is that it's the standard size for gas grills, so there available at just about every gas station, Home Depot and Lowes. Should be able to get a full one in a Jiffy :-)
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

Definitely get a portable electric heater. I spent a weekend in my old pop up when the temps were 20F at night and 40s during the day. Didn't use much propane but used 2 electric space heaters. Also I prefer electric mattress pads to blankets. They draw a LOT less power and having the heat under you seems to work better for me.

If you have not done so replace the stock analog thermostat for a simple digital one. Much more reliable and easy to set.

2016 Jayco x213
2012 Toyota Tundra
Mainenebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would feel more comfortable going into a long Michigan November weekend with two 20lb LP tanks (been there, done that..., in Michigan). Late November "up-north" can bring snow/wind/ice and steady temps below 30 degrees. Hybrid TT's loose a lot of heat out the ends, so I would expect an electric heater will be working all the time, so I can realistically see the furnace being used often to keep mom and the kids happy at 65 degrees.

One can only guess how long a single 20 pounder would last, but I agree that a "good" electric heater will buy some extra time.

May want to consider some solar blankets over the tent ends, can't hurt. http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm

Hopefully we will have a mild November like last year.., but you know what they say about Michigan weather!!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I would feel more comfortable going into a long Michigan November weekend with two 20lb LP tanks (been there, done that..., in Michigan). Late November "up-north" can bring snow/wind/ice and steady temps below 30 degrees. Hybrid TT's loose a lot of heat out the ends, so I would expect an electric heater will be working all the time, so I can realistically see the furnace being used often to keep mom and the kids happy at 65 degrees.

One can only guess how long a single 20 pounder would last, but I agree that a "good" electric heater will buy some extra time.

May want to consider some solar blankets over the tent ends, can't hurt. http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm

Hopefully we will have a mild November like last year.., but you know what they say about Michigan weather!!

Bob
You bite your tongue, Bob; I love the cold weather, and last year was waaaaay to warm for my liking!! All kidding aside, thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned that my TT does have 2 LP tanks. I would guess that they should last me 3 days/nights, but you never know. I appreciate the link you provided as well. I see from your signature you're from Hartland. We live in South Lyon, just down the street. Thank you for your expertise. Happy Camping.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

How far "up-north" are you going?

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 11-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #7

The plan is to stop for a few days at the Rifle River State Recreation Area, just East of Rose City. We checked it out on our way home from Hartwick Pines in early August; it's one of the only state parks that I know of that offers year-round camping. Plus, they allow deer hunting, which is always a bonus.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I was there this past fall., and I hope they finally graded the road going back to CG's 3 & 4!! My favorite CG in the Rifle River State Recreation Area is Ranch Rustic CG #3, sites 152 & 153 overlooking the river. I like to camp off the grid as much as possible..., some great unknown CG's in Michigan to do so (State & Federal) .

I assume you will be in CG #1 with electric, and those sites are great for a TT your size.

If you get a chance check out the "Groups" section under the "Community" tab at the top of the JOF web page. Once there consider joining the "Michigan Campers and Campgrounds" group.

Enjoy your winter camping!!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I was there this past fall., and I hope they finally graded the road going back to CG's 3 & 4!! My favorite CG in the Rifle River State Recreation Area is Ranch Rustic CG #3, sites 152 & 153 overlooking the river. I like to camp off the grid as much as possible..., some great unknown CG's in Michigan to do so (State & Federal) .

I assume you will be in CG #1 with electric, and those sites are great for a TT your size.

If you get a chance check out the "Groups" section under the "Community" tab at the top of the JOF web page. Once there consider joining the "Michigan Campers and Campgrounds" group.

Enjoy your winter camping!!

Bob
Thank You, kind sir. I will check that out right now.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #10

You're not going far enough up north........... try out the Upper Penninsula!
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #11

Definitely get an electric space heater. I personally like my small 1500 watt ceramic heater (12.5 amps), between that and two electric mattress pad heaters (2.5 amps/each), our trailer stays nice and warm, down to about 20. We did have an issue on one trip when it was extremely windy for about 36 hours. That Saturday morning it was about 60 in the TT when we got up (only using the electric all night). I turned on the propane furnace for a few minutes to bring up the temp, and then ran electric heater solely after that.

I would guess we have been out in 5-6 nights where the temps have been down in the low 20’s this fall. Half of those trips it was very windy. We primarily used the furnace to supplement the electric in the mornings. I just put the TT to bed, but first I filled the propane tank. For the season I only used 2.9 gallons (4.2 gal to be full) of propane. We do cook primarily outside, and have about 30 nights out this season.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
You're not going far enough up north........... try out the Upper Penninsula!
You don't have to convince me; if I had it my way, we'd be LIVING in the UP. I'm the only male in the house, so my vote(s) never count. Now that we have a TT, though, the UP is definitely in the plans. My bride never wanted to tent-camp in the UP because of bears. Eventually we will camp at every state park up there.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Definitely get an electric space heater. I personally like my small 1500 watt ceramic heater (12.5 amps), between that and two electric mattress pad heaters (2.5 amps/each), our trailer stays nice and warm, down to about 20. We did have an issue on one trip when it was extremely windy for about 36 hours. That Saturday morning it was about 60 in the TT when we got up (only using the electric all night). I turned on the propane furnace for a few minutes to bring up the temp, and then ran electric heater solely after that.

I would guess we have been out in 5-6 nights where the temps have been down in the low 20’s this fall. Half of those trips it was very windy. We primarily used the furnace to supplement the electric in the mornings. I just put the TT to bed, but first I filled the propane tank. For the season I only used 2.9 gallons (4.2 gal to be full) of propane. We do cook primarily outside, and have about 30 nights out this season.
Thanks for the advice, Jagiven. As always you have been most helpful.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #14

It sounds like you have not experience cool weather camping in your TT.

Here are a few tips that we have discovered during cool weather camping to keep the condensation down. Keep the bathroom vent cracked open ˝”-1”. Then open one side window in each bunk end about 3 inches, in the upper corner. Once we began doing this ALL condensation issues disappeared.

Happy Camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote