Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #1

Spare Tire Carrier

Has anyone ever dropped their spare down off a 23B? What a horrible contraption! Trust me it is not something you are going to want to do on the side of the road. Getting everything back into place is even worse.
I changed out a bad tire a couple of days ago in my driveway, and decided right then and there that it was never going to happen again. I took it off and stored it in the barn. I will be carrying the spare in the truck.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #2

As a matter of fact, yes. Sunday afternoon to be exact. I removed the hold down "wing nut", pulled the safety pin and the bracket swung to the ground. I slid the tire out easily and overall it was a pleasant experience for me.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #3

Can you tell me how the spare tire carrier underneath the camper works? I have a Skylark and there are no directions on how to get it down.

Thank you.
Zilbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #4

There is a hitch pin just aft of the tongue jack somewhat under the battery tray. You pull the pin out and then slide the latch off the tab and the tire carrier A-frame swings to the ground. The photos show an overall view of the spare tire carrier viewed from below on the drivers side, my awesome hand pointing to the hitch pin, and the rear drivers side A-frame pivot point.

It is necessary to remove one of the WDH bars in order to slide the tire off the carrier if the trailer is hitched to your TV during the process. Right now my trailer is parked so I can slide the spare off either side with very little effort.
Attached Thumbnails
tire carrier 006.jpg   tire carrier 005.jpg   tire carrier 002.jpg