Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

Spare Tire Rack under the tongue X23b

Just returned from a long weekend and at some point on return trip the two clips that hold the rack to the trailer frame came loose and the rack was dragging on the road.
If I hadn't gotten out to take off the sway bar I would have backed up with that dragging. A d it would not have been a pretty sight.
Has anyone else had this happen? I've never touched the rack since purchased the trailer last year, just wondering if there is a better safer alternative for carrying a spare on the X23b?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #2

I have a 23j with the same set up. I am not sure what even holds the rack on the frame, I am interested in figuring this out.....
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

I had the 2011 X23J and the tire was mounted to the bumper. I wonder why they changed this. The tongue was already heavy on this unit, why add more weight.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #4

Question 1; did you at some point drive in a location where you may have twisted the trailer frame, aka jump a curb or something similar?

Question 2; you stated you had never removed the spare tire before. Had you ever checked it to make sure it was properly mounted?

Question 3; Assumption you have a WDH, could the installer have dropped the tire to install the WDH components and not properly reinstall tire bracket?

I have not had this issue. I have been concerned that the clevis pin securing the nose bracket I would come loose. I had to drop the spare tire to tighten the WDH components and found the pin installed upside down (my opinion) so it could “fallout” if something would accidently snag it.

I would call Jayco and tell them, just in case this is a design issue.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #5

slabat, just behind the crank there is a long metal arm that come up high with a large pin. The going back towards the trailer frame the "carrier" forms a Y and then at each end it bends up and turns into an "s shape" that either clips under into two slots in the frame or hooks over those two slots. That is what I could not figure out and the reason the rack and tire rode to the garage in the back of the truck.
Jdorant, my guess bumper is either too light to carry or interferes with the rear bed when it drops.
Jgiven, no curb jumping however did get fuel on the way home. Nothing too tight that I noticed.
I am FAR from a mechanical mind, I could have looked at it without a clue if it was proper. I have thought on occasion it was awfully low hanging.
No, no WDH. Was told by dealer I didn't need it?
I will give Jayco a call
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #6

My carrier was pushed rearward when I bought my previously enjoyed '06 23B, most likely by rubbing on the pavement when leaving a gas station or the like. I had to remove it in order to straighten all the bent portions. If I remember correctly the rack has to make a wide vertical swing in order to properly engage the back straps in the tongue frame. My guess is that it wasn't in the right spot to begin with and it bounced out and onto the pavement.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #7

Quote:
My guess is that it wasn't in the right spot to begin with and it bounced out and onto the pavement.
mcfarmall's guess is mine as well. No WDH would add to that guess.

I have the 17Z (smaller than yours) and I took my spare and that carrier off yesterday. I did it to reduce hitch weight, not because of any problems. I took out the 5 zip screws that secure it to the frame. My first thought was to rotate it upward and take it out of those clips, but I would have to remove the propane tank rack. With nothing bent or broken it's not coming out of there.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
I had the 2011 X23J and the tire was mounted to the bumper. I wonder why they changed this. The tongue was already heavy on this unit, why add more weight.
... couldn't agree any more.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouRobin View Post
slabat,..... No, no WDH. Was told by dealer I didn't need it...
The dealer told you do not need a WDH! I would run as fast as I can from that dealer! The only way I would not have a WDH on an X23B would be if I had a ¾ ton or better truck. My Dakota (w/ tow package) is 2 years newer and I need a WDH. I have towed my old car on borrowed car trailers without a WDH. It works but I can really tell the difference between the trailers.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
The dealer told you do not need a WDH!.... snip
Interesting and valid point.

Depending on the loaded tongue weight, the lack of a WDH may contribute to lower ground clearance at the spare tire...., and possibly create unwanted TV suspension movement as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #11

Just relocated our TT to the house to prep for a Fri departure - spending a few days in the San Antonio area.
Took a look at my spare carrier and note that the "hinge" end (the rearward end) might be bumped out due to dragging out of a driveway. The rear end of the carrier has 2 "tongues" that fit in a slot in a crossbar. I cannot tow without the WDH, rear sags too much. Tried moving it from the storage lot to the house without the WD bars in place (once) since it's only 2-ish miles and drug leaving storage and again backing into the drive. Don't know how much the TT makes your Dakota sag but my Expedition can't handle it. My CAT Scale weights show me at 600# on the tongue. Your owners manual for the TV may give you some insight as to whether or not a WDH is needed. Also just measure how much squat adding the TT causes, I'd guess more than a couple of inches would be too much and a WDH would be needed.
I'll bet McFarm and OnTheGo have it.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #12

You can bet that kellys has one too (equilizer) would never tow without one
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #13

Hey JDorant,
That 2011 x23j is still holding up well. Hauled it up to N.H. for a Bluegrass Festival last weekend. On up to N.H. for a Blues Festival this weekend. A couple of questions, did you ever found out what the average tongue weight is on this baby. And, did you use a sway bar when you hauled it? Realized last weekend that the sway bar tends to "knuckle" when turning. DW tends to remember the salesman saying one doesn't need a sway bar with a 2 axle trailer.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #14

My dealer also told me to "just drop it on the ball & go".
Terrible towing experience. We have a 2013 x23b so I had a hard time finding the chain mounts , as my dealer was no help at all. With the WDH now on, it pulls so much nicer.
Djherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #15

We lost our spare & rack last weekend while backing into a site that was higher than the road. After straightening the rack out, we re-installed. No trouble since, but we check it after each tow.
grandmawoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #16

I'll be rechecking mine before next use.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #17

My 23B's tire rack resides in my shed. It has been there since about 8 weeks after we got the trailer. There was no way to drop the spare with the WDH in place. Spare gets put in the back of the truck.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch1 View Post
My 23B's tire rack resides in my shed. It has been there since about 8 weeks after we got the trailer. There was no way to drop the spare with the WDH in place. Spare gets put in the back of the truck.
I know this is an old thread, but what do you mean theres no way to drop the spare with the hitch in place?

My rack drug backing in my driveway this weekend and pushed the rearward "S" hooks out. I got one back in, but couldnt get the other to fall in. Do I have to remove the tire completely, and use a 2x4 andprize up on the frontward point to release it? I pulled the front pin, and it still wouldn't budge.

I'm probably about to upgrade to 14" tires and rims, and I had read that the 23B rack cannot hold a 14". I tow with a trailblazer so would like some kind of mount I can fit onto the back bumper to hold the bigger tire if anyone has any ideas.
Rhizzlebop is offline   Reply With Quote