Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #1

Steps in setting up..

I was wondering once backing or pulling into your site, what are your steps in setting and unhooking? For example, take me through your routine in what is done first and so on.... Thank you!

Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #2

well i am sure fith wheel is different but on my tt i back in about where i think i want the unit to sit and check side to side level.... if it is off i use my lego leveling blocks to level side to side.... then i chock the wheels.. after that i go on and plug the camper in... next i unhitch the camper from tow vehicle and using the tongue jack i level front to rear... after that i put the stabilizer jacks down then the slides out ... then the awning and whatever else you have to throw under it ... thats the way i do it ... oh and dont forget to turn on the propane tanks lol

Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #3

Hello Meadows11,
Once I have the camper where I want it, I determine if I need to level it side to side with blocks under the wheels. If I do then I usually pull forward onto the blocks instead of backing onto them. Just seems easier to do it that way. Then I chock the wheels on the camper to prevent rolling then I release the ball latch, disconnect the tow vehicle wiring plug and the breakaway cable for the brake, then raise the camper enough to clear the ball, then pull the TV forward. Then, I lower the trailer tongue until it is level front to back, then put down the stabilizers on all four corners. Hooking up water, or filling the holding tank comes next, then connecting to the electric. Turn on the propane and light the stove to clear most of the air out of the gas lines. Open all the hot water faucets to clear all air out of the water heater and when a full stream is steady then close off and light the water heater. Proceed to light the furnace if needed. Add about a gallon of water to the black water tank and add chemical. Let out the awning, open a folding chair and build a fire in the fire ring. Enjoy!! If I forgot something maybe another member can fill it in. If you have never set up before you may want to do a trial run at home before you leave.
el-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #4

After getting in to the aproximate position I consult with the Navigator to find out if that is where it should be. Then check level side to side and what might be required for front to back while considering distance for sewage, water and electrical hookup, slide and awning clearance. After all adjustments are made, I lower the front jacks on to 12" square pads making sure I will have the proper jack length to raise or lower depending on the grade of the site. I chock the wheels before extending the slides so I don't have to crawl under after.
Then I unhook the tv and move it out of the way if required so as not to block traffic. Then hook up power, sewage and water. By now the Navigator is opening slides making sure that there is nothing to hit. I finally lower the rear jack/stabilizers on to pads to firm up the 5er from excessive movement.
By now the Navigator is asking why there is no water, or power, because even though I hooked up I was distracted and forgot to open the valve or turn on the breaker.
Then I set up the dish and tune in the signal, sometimes easy sometimes not, The published settings aren't exact. After that remove what is required to be from the tv, record the info from the tv dic ( odometer, daily trip, time, engine hours). Usually half hour to 45 minutes. As I mentioned there are lots of distractions during the process, try to keep focused. All equipment has its storage place or specific container to keep it simple. On setup and take down it becomes a routine and you might even leave with everything you brought!
I once left about $30.00 worth of brass water fittings on the pedestal at a KOA in Virginia cuz I got distracted.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
Site Team

Back in
Check level side to side
Add boards under tires as needed
Chock camper
Unhook from TV
Level front to back
Hook utilities up
Pop beds out
Open windows
Make beds
Awning out and everything under it set up
Mix drink

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Back in
Check level side to side
Add boards under tires as needed
Chock camper
Unhook from TV
Level front to back
Hook utilities up
Pop beds out
Open windows
Make beds
Awning out and everything under it set up
Mix drink
X2 on this. Except sometimes the beverage is step#2.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:41 AM   #7

Thank you for your response's...
Question:
You mentioned turning on the propane....If I'm using the power at the campground, why would I need to turn the propane on?
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadows11 View Post
Question:
You mentioned turning on the propane....If I'm using the power at the campground, why would I need to turn the propane on?
stove, furnace, hot water heater....possibly external grill hook-up
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #9

And do not forget to set up the chairs and drinks of course in the best location to watch the next people come in and set up, IT can quite entertaining
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadows11 View Post
Question:
My propane is on the day before I leave the house for the fridge.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote