Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Storage Questions

Upon storing camper (x23B) outside for the winter, can you answer the questions below?

Do I remove or just disconnect battery?
Grey and Black tanks drained completely?
Tilt trailer so water and melted snow run off easier?
Cover electric jack? If so, how?

Thank you!
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

I'm jealous, my friend has a barn and stores his motor home, and two trailers in there. That would be ideal but not for the majority of us. When we used to store on a lot, we always took the battery home with us so it didn't get stolen and kept it on a trickle charger. All tanks should be emptied of black and gray water. You didn't say if the temps get down to freezing but if so, winterize the unit with RV antifreeze. If it doesnt get down to freezing, add clean water to each tank (about 5-6 gallons) so the waste vavle seals don't dry rot. If your trailer has a crowned roof there should be no need to tilt the unit while instorage. If you mean to tile it nose to rear, I would recommend you dont since you want the water in your tanks to stay up against your dump valves and depending on their placement, tilting the trailer nose to rear or rear to nose could move the water/antifreeze away from valve gates. Some folks cover their electric jacks just to avoid sun damage to the plastic but not entirely necessary. One thing we have always done on all of our trailers is to attach some type of pigtail holder that keeps your pigtail protected against any water and/or rusting damage. It mounted directly onto the trailer frame or could be zip tied to the frame. These kept the pigtail pointed downward and covered. I would also advise not leaving your propane tanks on the trailer when in storage.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Really depends on what part of the country you are in, how cold it gets, etc.

Remove the battery, put it somewhere it won't freeze, either use a battery tender or recharge every few weeks.

I would drain the tanks and then dump some RV antifreeze in them as an extra ounce of prevention.

Tilting the trailer, makes sense, however need to be careful how much additional pressure you place on your dual axle tires on the tilited end -- Maybe a slight tilt for melted water run off.

I would cover the jack with a light colored cover that is breathable incase any moisture gets in.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

Where you live does make a difference. If you are somewhere that does not get to terribly cold, just blowing the lines out with compressed air could be enough. Where we store the HTT gets -20F-30F, so I blow out the lines and then use a good RV antifreeze.

Tilting the HTT is not needed as it has a crowned roof. I would recommend adding a Maxair type roof vent cover to the bathroom vent if you receive a lot of freezing and thawing to protect the vent. It also allows you to keep the vent cracked open.

Battery; If you are parking somewhere for a long time, I would remove the battery and at minimum periodically charge it with trickle charger.

Tanks; fully drain them

Electric Jack; it is designed to be out in the weather, so it is your choice. But I know a few people you place a 5 gallon bucket over it and place the pig tail up inside the bucket too.

Have you looked at what it takes to winterize the unit yet? It is not hard to do, it just takes a little time depending on how you do (15 min to 2 houors).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #5

WOW, Thank you for all of your responses....
Okay...
Take battery out and store in a dry place and charge.
Take out propane tanks....Where should they be stored?
Meadows11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #6

I never take the tanks off, except to fill them. I do have a bunch of spare tanks for my home gas grill, those I store in my detached garage, with a cap over the port. Personally I would not store them outside without something attached to them, as I do not like bugs, dirt and other crud to potentially mess up the orifices of my regulators when re attached.

Unless there is a reason to take them off, such as a storage facility requirement, I would leave them on, and ensure the valves are closed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #7

The lot we used several years ago was huge and though it had a gate code, I would often see folks walking the lot with no real reason to be there. I know this cause I used to spend hours in my stored trailer doing school work (man cave alternative). When I took my tanks off I would wrap a sandwich baggie around the propane tubes and zip tie them to keep dust and bugs out.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote