Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #1

storing Jayco X17Z on blocks

Hello all,
I recently purchased a X17Z, it's our first family camper and we're very excited. Even though we've got a few months of fall camping left I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for what I'll do for winter storage. Growing up my dad always stored our popups on blocks to get the wheels of the ground and preserve the tires. Since the stabilizer bars aren't meant for lifting there is no simple way to do this. The other option is to put blocks under the frame on the corners and use the toungue jack to lift it up, however I'm wondering if this is a bad idea if the frame itself is not meant to be lifted from the corners. If that is the case what is the best option for keeping tires in good shape, I'll be storing it in the yard next to my garage, it's a bit slanted which would require me to have one wheel on wood blocks while the other is in the grass. I have a small flatbed trailer in the back that I sometimes go over a year between use on, it's just sitting on dirt, the tires end up sinking in a bit, but they seem to be in great shape. My dad has a motorhome now and said dirt is the best thing for tires to sit on an cement is the worst. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on having one tire in the grass(won't be grass for long) and the other on a wood block for several months.
Thanks
hillemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #2

Have you ever seen a big trailer up on blocks? I have, but its rare. I've parked my hybrid trailers on a gravel pad with wood planks under the tires for over 10 years now. Our old hybrid was an ancestor of the X17Z, it was an '03 Kiwi 17a. The OEM tires were 6 years old when I replaced them. The second set was only 4 years old, but I suspect that they were sitting on the shelf too long. I never checked the date code. The best thing you can do to protect your tires is cover them. Camco makes nice tire covers.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #3

If I were going to lift my tires up off the ground for storage I'd probably jack it up by the frame right near the tire using a wood block between the jack and the frame to spread the load out. I think if you concentrate the stress right at the jacking point you'd probably buckle the flange on the frame rail.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I'll just leave it on wood blocks and cover the tires
hillemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #5

Leaving the tt on grass/ top soil is asking for rust, it should be on concrete, gravel , or stone so the water can drain away .Larry