Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #1

Strap for propane tank instead of bolts

Wondering if any one straps down their propane tanks instead of bolts. My bolts are a real pain to access and put on and off when changing tanks. Would be great to find a decent strap that is safe to keep it in place instead of using the nut, washer and bolt.
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #2

I've never seen them held down by straps. They are really heavy when full and I can't see straps holding them in place on the existing plate. They would bounce all over the place and probably pop right off. You'd have to design something custom to secure them so the strap would work.

Do you have a wing nut like this one? It makes taking the tanks off really easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Ta...43915829&psc=1
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

I am thinking a heavy duty strap like the ones used for strapping down motorcycles ect.. in a pick up truck bed. Something that clamps safely and holds heavy weight still.
Javin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #4

I understand what you are thinking. The long bolt keeps the whole assembly ridged. The lip on the pan works because the bolt keeps the tanks from bouncing. Even then there can be some movement of the tanks. If you just strapped it what would keep the tanks from falling over?

Do you have a picture of what your current setup looks like?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #5

Most RV's have a dual bottle rack like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Manchester-Tan...%2C169&sr=8-11 Link is for the full kit on Amazon Canada site.
If you only have a single bottle, your X19H easily has space for this, and it just takes a couple of self tapping screws to hold it in place. If you have 2 bottles already, you may already have the base plate; Jayco was at times too cheap to include the whole thing on some HTT's and just put bolts through the tank bottom rim. When I added this on my pup, it slid perfectly between the rails for the tanks. My HTT already had one.
There are other options as well on Amazon; just search RV Propane Tank Holder.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #6

I wouldn't feel safe using just a strap to hold it down. a propane tank is a bit dangerous and wouldn't want it popping off.
I also added a dual tank plate which holds 2 tanks. I also added a lock to the handle so nobody can steal my bottles
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:46 PM   #7

I think this dual tank holder was like $22. Steel is easy to drill into with a sharp bit and then self tapping screws. Then the tanks come out easy to fill.
Attached Thumbnails
7BFB1C89-AB03-47A6-8195-268D2BCCE6AD.jpg  
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I think this dual tank holder was like $22. Steel is easy to drill into with a sharp bit and then self tapping screws. Then the tanks come out easy to fill.
I did exactly this, super easy. I also added a lock to the swivel by drilling a hole through the swivel and support.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin View Post
Wondering if any one straps down their propane tanks instead of bolts. My bolts are a real pain to access and put on and off when changing tanks. Would be great to find a decent strap that is safe to keep it in place instead of using the nut, washer and bolt.
I suppose you could use a small boomer and chain to secure them.