Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #1

Summer Camping

Hi,
I have used this forum to learn a lot about my camper over the last few years. I thought I would share a little of the experience that my wife and I had camping for four months this summer. We have a 2012 Jayco X23B. For the most part the camping experience this summer was very nice. We stayed and worked at a county campground in Oakland county Michigan. We added an extra foam pad to the mattress, which made it nice and comfortable. The gauges for the holding tanks just don’t work very well. I found it was best to just dump them every 3 – 4 days. We camp on a full hook-up site so this isn’t a problem. We had no “smell problem” like we did last year.

I created the bunk-end covers out of solar blankets like several people on this site mentioned. I got the blankets off of Amazon. For the front bunk I had to sew two together, the back bunk was good with just one. I used some tie-down straps from an old storage cover to attach them. I also had to use a few paper clips, the black squeeze type to keep them on in the wind. Since this was the first time doing this I didn’t know if the solar side should be up or down. I tried one up and one down. The solar side up lasted longer than placing it down. By using the covers it keep the room darker and cooler than without them. I also think it help keep the tent material in better shape. By the end of the summer they were pretty much destroyed. If you are camping for a couple of days or a week or so I think they would last a lot longer. I am going to try plan white nylon tarps next summer just because they will be more durable.

Over the years I noticed that the floor was getting “soft”. I checked the best I could, but didn’t see any water damage or rot. As suggested on this site, I put a “click and lock” laminated flooring, with a vapor barrier, down over the existing floor. It seems to work well. It stayed in place all summer and had no problems during the drive back down to Florida.

During the really hot, humid days I noticed that the refrigerator was having a hard time staying cold. I have installed a fan at the top of the exhaust “tower” and also on inside the refrigerator. This helps most of the time. I did notice that some time it would just stop working. If I switch it off and then back on it would work for a day or two. I think the control board is bad. I will have to do more trouble shooting before we head out again.

Whenever there was going to be a windy storm I would have to roll in the awning. This is a pain. I believe I can rig up a better tied down system so I don’t have to do this. My neighbor suggested a system by “Carefree”, so I am looking at them. It really needs new gas shocks but I am having a hard time getting the specs for them. It is a Carefree awning and they want to sell the whole arm assembly for over $400 a side. If anyone knows the correct specs for the gas shock, I would really appreciate them. User ”Jagiven” really helped me with my door. Replace the gas strut on it and it works like new.

The front bunk has a “delaminating” problem. It was fine before we went camping, but must have developed over the summer. I never noticed any water leaks. I am wondering if being opened for 4 months may have caused a problem. Not sure how to even being looking at fixing this. It is 12 years old so it may not be worth the cost.

So the only other problem I have is seating. The couch is just not very comfortable. I have to come up with some idea on how to fix this. I used a zero gravity outdoor chair for a while this year, but it takes up a lot of room. Any suggestions?

Anyone have any “hacks” they have developed over the years? I need to create a little more storage in the bathroom. I also need to come up with a better counter space usage by the kitchen sink.

Hope you find this helpful.

Tags
awning, bunk end, refridgerator