Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #1

Sunforce 60022 solar charge controller question

We have a 2015 X17z and a couple of days ago we had the dealer move our two new 6v batteries from under the bench seat to the tongue. They also re-hooked it into the Sunforce 60022 solar charge controller which worked fine when the batteries were inside the cabin.

Our trailer has been plugged into shore power for a couple of days now and we have had a couple of hot sunny days so I would think that the batteries would have completely recharged.

See photos to follow along:

I notice that the top light on the charge controller has remained yellow indicating it is still charging and has not turned green yet, as it used to do when fully charged.

Also, when I press the test button, the top yellow light immediately turns to red (which indicates “solar“) and the battery status lights up the bottom two red and one yellow LED. It’s unclear what they mean (see photos)

However, when I press my Jayco battery status panel, it shows 4 red lights indicating a full battery charge.

In spite of 2 sunny days and also being plugged into shore power, why has my green fully charged light never come on? It used to occasionally cycle from yellow to green before the batteries got moved, as it needed power.

Thanks for any help and input!

Her’s a link to the very unhelpful Sunforce manual:
https://sunforceproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Model-60022_Manual.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
F1B15E85-0FA9-4EFA-A809-60EAF5818C81.jpg   50DC0B5E-5462-4868-8208-2ABFFB626A31.jpg   C0887E1C-41E5-406E-97D3-9DC42429D15C.jpg   A46958BB-1DAD-4426-80F0-6BE6DD3A5067.jpeg  
Bigmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmom View Post
We have a 2015 X17z and a couple of days ago we had the dealer move our two new 6v batteries from under the bench seat to the tongue. They also re-hooked it into the Sunforce 60022 solar charge controller which worked fine when the batteries were inside the cabin.

Our trailer has been plugged into shore power for a couple of days now and we have had a couple of hot sunny days so I would think that the batteries would have completely recharged.

See photos to follow along:

I notice that the top light on the charge controller has remained yellow indicating it is still charging and has not turned green yet, as it used to do when fully charged.

Also, when I press the test button, the top yellow light immediately turns to red (which indicates “solar“) and the battery status lights up the bottom two red and one yellow LED. It’s unclear what they mean (see photos)

However, when I press my Jayco battery status panel, it shows 4 red lights indicating a full battery charge.

In spite of 2 sunny days and also being plugged into shore power, why has my green fully charged light never come on? It used to occasionally cycle from yellow to green before the batteries got moved, as it needed power.

Thanks for any help and input!

Her’s a link to the very unhelpful Sunforce manual:
https://sunforceproducts.com/wp-cont...022_Manual.pdf
Maybe the charge controller goes by amps, and is using the old battery settings. The Battery indicator in the trailer works on volts.
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenar View Post
Maybe the charge controller goes by amps, and is using the old battery settings. The Battery indicator in the trailer works on volts.
Sorry I just read the bottom picture. It goes by volts as well. car batteries are able to go higher than 12V. It's possible that the 6v batteries are unable to go higher than 6.25V each
Old 08-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #4

Are the 6V batteries sealed? If you can look at the fluid levels inside to make sure that the batteries are full enough to cover the plates inside. If they were over heated they will lose fluid as it boils off. This will not enable you to charge to a higher voltage.

Tags
batteries, solar, sunforce