Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Sway bar chains???

This is a newbie question probably, but are sway bars and weight distribution bars the same thing? We just returned from our fifth trip this year with our X23B (which we LOVE) but we have noticed that sometime our chains will only hook on the first link, and other times all the way to the third link. I think we've always tried to hook it up on a level surface. What are we doing wrong? The last campsite we pulled into we were scraping the ground...I'm pretty sure it was the bars scraping... (it was bumpy and potholes) but still think this shouldn't happen. We had only been able to get our chains on the first link from the campground prior (which was a paved RV site) Any ideas? Thanks!
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

sway and weight distribution are NOT the same. You should always put the same link on everytime
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

what you actually need to do is get rid of that crappy hitch your dealer sold you and get a quality hitch like the progressive industry Equalizer E4 hitch. has sway and the best wd on the market for the price imo.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #4

As nb stated , the chains should be hooked on the same link every time. Not sure which weight distribution hitch you have, but on mine, the bars shoudl be parallel with the frame.
You can use the tongue jack to raise the camper a little to get the bars on & off.
Your weight distribution hitch may have sway control also. Mine does not. I have a separate friction sway control bar.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #5

We try to, but sometimes link one is SO loose, and when they showed us at the Jayco dealer (where we had the hitch installed) they said we should crank it up with a cheater bar, and sent us home with it on the third link. Now it seems as though link one or two is all we can do, and sometimes even link one is hard to do...sometimes link two is easy HELP!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #6

Oh just saw the other replies...I suspected that the dealer probably sold us a crap hitch. If I could ever figure out how to post a picture, I would show you the set-up. So should chains on sway bars be loose?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
what you actually need to do is get rid of that crappy hitch your dealer sold you and get a quality hitch like the progressive industry Equalizer E4 hitch. has sway and the best wd on the market for the price imo.
Crappy hitch?? Where does he state what hitch she has???
I have one of those old crappy 20 year old Reese WDH. Still works fine.
To use your own words, "what did they do in the past?" Before the equalizer e4.

Edit....now she has said the dealer installed it. Still doesn't mean it is a crappy hitch. Still do not know what hitch is installed.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
Oh just saw the other replies...I suspected that the dealer probably sold us a crap hitch. If I could ever figure out how to post a picture, I would show you the set-up. So should chains on sway bars be loose?

they are spring bars not sway bars and no they should not be loose. They are what is distributing the weight back to the trailer axle and front axle
Old 08-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Crappy hitch?? Where does he state what hitch he has???
I have one of those old crappy 20 year old Reese WDH. Still works fine.
To use your own words, "what did they do in the past?" Before the equalizer e4.
swayed all over the roads and were confused as to how to operate them
Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
I think what you're calling sway bars are actually your tension bars. The chains shoudl not be loose. A pic would be very helpful. As I said, on mine I raise the camper a little with the tongue jack to put them on and take them off.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Really? My in-laws towed with the crappy hitches for 30 years with no problems. Perhaps they were just skilled drivers.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #12

Rebecca,

Does your set up look something like this?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #13

OK it says HUSKY on the hitch and then I noticed it says with spring bars. So, all this time I thought they were sway bars. Anyway, I SO appreciate all of the input! Does anyone know if the Husky hitch is ok? (I can't wait until I'm NOT a newbie!)
Old 08-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #14

Howie, YES almost exactly!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #15

As people said, the tension bars should not move once connected with the chain. They should actually "flex" a bit to show that they're doing what they're supposed to be doing.

Once the coupler is latched to the ball, raise the rear end of the truck up a bit with the tongue jack. This will allow you to get the third chain link on easier (if the 3rd one is the one that you're going for). Lower the rear end of the truck and you should see it tighten up.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #16

Howie..our spring bars look almost like yours, but we have to slam ours up into a hole underneath to lock them in. It doesn't look like yours do that. But either way your picture looks very much like what we have.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #17

DMWARD, that's the answer I was looking for! Thanks. Now I am learning all about spring bars, etc (and crappy hitches!) hahaha An ongoing learning process, and I love this forum!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Rebecca,

Most RV dealerships don't know how to properly set-up/adjust a WDH..., so you may have a good WDH that just isn't adjusted correctly. Also, the dealer sent your TV/HTT off there lot under "unloaded" conditions, all WDH's should be adjusted under "loaded" TV/HTT conditions.

Can you confirm the Brand, Model, and Rating of the WDH you presently have? Do you have the installation/adjustment instructions on the WDH? In some cases RV dealers provide a great WDH, but not sized (rated) correctly which can create issues such as yours.

With this information we can provide better feedback and a possible course of action.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #19

A "crappy" hitch, properly setup will work just fine. Mine is a "Quality S", really a no-name brand, basically the same as pictured above. My dad has some no name system that's really old. Both work just fine. To Bob's point, it was probably never set up right to begin with.

The purpose of a weight distribution hitch is to lighten the load on the rear of the tow vehicle and put weight back on the front wheels, the steering so that you can safely control it. You should always have it on the same chain link.

Without the trailer hitched up, measure the distance from the ground to the wheel well lip on your front fender at the center of the wheel. Then hook up the trailer but don't put on the spring bars. Measure again. The front will rise. GM specifications are that using a WD hitch the fender measurement should be back at stock height (this is in your GMC owners manual under the Towing section). Now put the spring bars on. Adjust them so that the front is back to stock height. Don't worry about rear squat, that's normal. If you can't get the chains in the right place, crack your tongue jack up more to relieve the pressure. If you can't find the right link and there is still not enough weight back on the front end you can adjust the ball tilt. The farther back the tilt, the more weight back on the front wheels. These types of hitches usually have washers to create the ball head tilt. This is more or less of a "fine" adjustment where the links are "ball park" adjustments.

Here are some great tutorials on how to do all this:
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-weight_d...ution_faq.aspx

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-weight_di..._ford_van.aspx

This photo is of my old SUV and current trailer (I have shots of my Sierra and X20E, just haven't uploaded them yet). Note two things, the height of the front fenders is at stock level, and the spring bars (if you can see them) are parallel to the camper frame at the ends of the bars.

Quote:
No sway or confusion here. I've use this hitch with 4 different tow vehicles and two different trailers.

EDIT: BTW, I'm not saying the Equalizer is bad in anyway. That's an excellent hitch. My point being that crappy really isn't all that crappy.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #20

Rebecca,

When you are putting the chains on the snap up brackets are you extending the tongue jack first, thus lifting both the trailer tongue and the tow vehicles rear? If not you should be -- the higher you extend the tongue jack that easier it is to set the chains and lock in the snap up brackets.

I am not going to debate if you have a quality hitch or not. As you can see many folks are very passionate about there style hitch being the best. There are many styles and each have pros and cons.

With your style Husky there are 2 primary components required to provide both sway controll and weight distribution...

1) The spring bars (sometimes called tension or torsion bars depending on the hitch) provide weight distribution. Its clear you have this and the tip regarding extending the jack before snapping into place should help getting correct link setting

2) A friction style sway bar. This is a seperate device that connects to a small ball on the hitch head and another mounted on the side of your TT A Frame. If you don't have this piece then you essentially only have weight distribution occuring, not sway control as well.

As Rustic mentioned, even if you dealership knows what they are doing in setting up the WD hitch, the day you picked up the trailer it was unloaded. Proper WD set up requires the trailer to be loaded as is it was going camping when making the setup. A trip over a CAT scale will provide the necessary information to determine if your WD is set up properly. Its very typical that owners will need to adjust the setup provided at the dealer once the trailer is loaded. Occasionally you will need to adjust again because trailers seems to gain weight over time. I generally weigh and adjust my trailer at the beginning of each camping season.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote