Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #1

thinking of adding an anti-sway bar

Hi folks,
I have a 17' Export (2010) that I tow with a Nissan Xterra. I haven't towed it any great distance yet, but we are planning a trio from NY to Maine this summer. I don't want to be that guy in the right hand lane puttin along with the flashers on, but don't want to be Martin Truex Jr. either. So I am thinking about adding an anti-sway bar. I have a WDH that is set up correctly but still get some sway, especially when it is windy. My concern is highway travel as it is typically wide open and subjuect to windy conditions. Then you always have those 18 wheelers flyin' by. Does any one have a similar set up or experiance with or without an anti-sway bar?
boubay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The incorporation of a sway control device with any TV/HTT, TT, etc., combination is a cheap insurance policy to have should a sway event arise. Yes, a sway control device can dampen and/or eliminate the effect of windy conditions, assuming the TV/HTT combination is properly matched and set-up.

If you haven't already, take your TV/HTT under loaded conditions to a CAT scale for a weigh-in. The data from the CAT scale will confirm your weights, proper weight distribution, and WDH sizing/adjustment. With a CAT scale weigh-in, you will be able to insure that should a sway event arise your sway control device will function at it's optimum.

Cat scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

+1

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #4

I have an X-terra; great trucks. We used to tow our boat with ours and it did great. One thing to consider is that the factory rear suspension is VERY soft. Great for ride comfort, terrible for payload control, we hit our bumpstops all the time. This can be a significant contributor to sway in the trailer while towing.

So I agree that you should have your setup weighed, and I agree that a sway control device is good, cheap insurance. But I would add that you should consider upgrading your rear suspension as well. I've seen it done with everything from helper springs to entirely new leaf spring packs, and air bags are popular. I was going to change out my leaf pack (can't remember which one I was going to get, and can't find the link right now) and replace the rear shocks with Bilsteins. I decided against it because we pretty much use the X for commuting and I want to do some upgrades to my truck (TV) instead.

Check out this forum for pointers on different options: http://www.thenewx.org/

I'm assuming you're using a 2nd generation X (model year 2005 +) as you don't see a lot of the 1st gens doing any heavy lifting...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #5

I think these are the ones I was going to use.

http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=72

I was planning to replace the OEM spring pack with this one first, then replace the OEM shocks later when the budget recovered. These are nice because they have a bit of an "overload" capacity. We all know we don't drive empty, but these were designed for upgraded bumpers and such that put a constant overload on the suspension.

There are cheaper alternatives out there, like add-a-leafs, but I think this setup would have been just about perfect for my needs.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote