Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

(This forum is great) Question on underbellies...

First let me thank all of you in advance. I am new to TTs and I will have lots of questions and doubts, so thanks for the input and patience.

If I buy a HTT without the enclosed underbelly, Can this be added later by a dealership? Can they install the heaters too or does all this need to be done prior to purchase and ordered/build at the factory?

I will be attending a show this week and am wondering if I see something I want and it doesn't have all that, can I still get it? Ya know??

THANKS!
Trophyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #2

It is my understanding that the insulation and heaters can be added.

However, adding anything will require access and changes to the underside of the trailer. The factory was the best place to accomplish these tasks.

Make sure that whomever you choose to make the upgrade is capable of doing a better-than-adequate job. The corners need to be sealed properly. Any soft/filler insulation has to be secured. Any wiring changes can't cause problems with the existing electrical systems...

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:31 AM   #3

And depending on what type of insulation and underbelly floor is being installed, it can add weight to the trailer. I'll assume your tow vehicle is up to the task.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #4

SO let me add this.....IS it really that much more advantageous to have the underbelly enclosed, regardless if it is heated or not?

I just bought a new (used) one and the shop tech said it really doesn't help much.....more of a "gimmick".

thoughts?
Trophyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
Site Team

IMO, it depends on what type and where you camp. I have had one w/o and 3 with and I think it helps keep the floors warm inside and cleaner outside.

The only dis advantage is when you have to some work underneath it's like digging for buried treasure the first time! LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophyduck View Post
SO let me add this.....IS it really that much more advantageous to have the underbelly enclosed, regardless if it is heated or not?
I just bought a new (used) one and the shop tech said it really doesn't help much.....more of a "gimmick".
thoughts?
Any insulation will help prevent freeze-ups. A single layer of 5mil plastic that prevents the wind from blowing around the pipes will make some difference.

However, proper amounts of insulation (based on the expected climate) along with introduction of additional heat will prevent the water in the lines and tanks from freezing.

So, yes the corrugated plastic underbelly cover can be classed as a gimmick. But, pump oodles of warm air into that space and it actually works.

Do the insulating job correctly and you'll use much less energy to accomplish the same goal.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote