Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #1

Time to start buying camper goodies! What's your favorite purchase?

We are bringing home our 2013 23B on Thursday night. We're moving up from a 2001 Viking Pop up. I don't know how I'm going to work all day Friday before I can run home and start playing! Plus, I have a garage full of crap we just emptied out of the pup that I need to go through and reorganize so I can reclaim my parking spot. We've got two trips planned before the snow flies, maybe another if the weather holds.

Putting in my first order for the essentials - leveling blocks & wheel chocks. I'm sure going to miss our BAL leveler and single wheel chock. Those two were the most convenient purchases I made for the pup. After researching every option out there, I think we've settled on using the lynx blocks for leveling and the lynx chocks for one side, probably a BAL x chock on the other for added stabalization. DH is handy enough with wood and tools to build wedges, but time is a luxury we don't have these days (thus the upgrade to the HTT). I think that will do it for now (probably some level stickers too), and I will continue my purchases one at a time through winter so we will be ready to go with the spring thaw. Definitely need some new pop up gizmos - they were terrific on the pup. Possibly a small TV and mount with the Christmas/black friday sales. A foam topper for our mattresses, too. Glad we have the whole winter to compile these creature comforts one at a time! I'm thinking I'll get some small bins for the cabinets to keep things from rolling around during travel. I did buy some non skid stuff for them.

What kind of stuff have you bought that you can't live without? Gotta keep adding to my list, much to DH's dismay... :hihi:
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #2

Welcome to Jayco Owners Forum and CONGRATS on the new HTT!! Wishing you many new memories with the 23B!! :hihi:
It sounds like you have a good start onyour list of goodies and many others will have good ideas.
Do you normally camp at sites with water/electric or dry camp? This may help choose other items needed.
I would look for better sewer hose(s) and water hoses from 15 foot to 50 foot depending on your needs. I keep a 15, 25 and a 50 foot hose.
How about electric adapters 30 amp to 15 and 15 amp to 30 amp. Those are not used a lot, but I keep them "Just In Case".
One thing the DH would really appreciate is a Electric Tongue jack, but like you said, you have all winter for this item.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Here is the now famous "Top Ten" thread. Its actually many more then ten though.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ight=saltymick
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions - though I should have clarified. I'm more wondering what kind of extras everyone enjoys particularly the most or found the most handy/helpful etc. Not necessarily wondering what I need, more wondering what I want! I have seen the top 10 list previously and have bookmarked it though. Lots of essentials we already have from the pup - water hoses, extension cords, electric adapters, step stool, extra tools etc. I do have the upgraded sewer hose on my list though, as we had a cassette in the pup and black tanks are new to us.

So - an electric tongue jack? Do you find you do more front to back leveling with an HTT? He's had to crank it up or down when hooking up to our TV, but it's never been anything inconvenient that we've thought about needing electric. Now being able to raise & lower the stabilizers with the socket & drill - that's been super handy!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Some sort of stick or screw on levels that can be seen from your hitch are helpful and a must have IMHO. Level linxs, Bal x chocks and a good hitch lock would be high on my list. Although there are cheaper alternatives, these are well worth the extra money with the ease and practicality of use they provide. Maxx air vent covers for sure too.

x2 on the electric tounge jack. Depending on your sway bar setup the electric jacks make that process much more tollerant.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #6

Recently bought a fix a flat ramp for changing tire or greasing bearings (no jacking up needed), small ottomans for storage, rubbermaid drawer organizers for knives or counter storage, broom hanger command hook, command hooks for keys, will be making a sink cover with Lexon cut to size and 12 volt outlets for bunk fans.

2012 Jayco 19H
2009 Silverado
Makjps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #7

Congrats on your 23B, you'll love it, I know we like ours!

I bought the stick-on levelers, plastic level blocks, chocks, sewer hose, and water hose with a water pressure regualator.

Now one of the first mods I did, and it was very easy to do, was I installed a fridge fan. With the brutal temps we had, this helped to maintain cooler temps inside the fridge.

Here's a link with more info:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ghlight=fridge
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #8

1x on the fridge fan and electric tongue jack. The X23B isn't very heavy and hand cranks easy but now that i've got the electric I'd never go back. Same story on the stabilizers, I use a rechargeable drill to raise/lower. I also bought a "sewer solution" instead of a slinky and think it works great (still have the starter slinky that was in our start-up kit as a backup). The most recent thing I've added was a "Flagpole Buddy". Not particularly cheap but a nice design and we've wanted to fly a flag since we got the TT. Attached the mounts with 2 side tape from the auto parts place. Not the regular 3M 2x tape but stuff used for attaching auto trim.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #9

Definitely do the fridge fans - the one in the fridge and the one in the back. I liked the LED lamps upgrade too.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #10

I changed over all of our interior bulbs to LEDs when we got the camper to conserve battery when we dry camp. I have not had a need to do the fridge fan, have had no trouble keeping things cool. If set to the coldest setting, items in the fridge will freeze. (although we camp in 25-30C temperatures) This is our first camper with AC, and we bought a 30 amp extn cord on our last trip as the cord from the TT would not reach the pedestal, and the AC will not run on 15 amps.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #11

I also have a 2013 23B. I would suggest a good sewer hose and extension cord. We made all of our chocks and maybe a set of x type chocks as well. I have the electric tongue jack and it's a must have when dealing with an equalizer hitch IMO.

Give it some time and you will find small things. We purchased a memory foam mattress to go on top of the standard bunk to make it more comfortable.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #12

The first thing I did was tint the bunkhouse windows to help keep it cooler. Then made a outside table that attaches where the grill goes on the outside of the TT.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Then made a outside table that attaches where the grill goes on the outside of the TT.
Now THAT I want! I'll have to put it on my list of winter projects for my FIL since he's retired and likes to build and tinker. I was kicking myself after we sold the pup, because we had a nice table/shelf that went on the rail outside or on a rail attached to the sink inside. Really wish I'd kept it so I could use it on our 23b, since apparently they are impossible to purchase!

These are all great ideas, thanks everybody! Some I already have, some I'm definitely putting on my list. I may even get that mattress topper this weekend. Loved the pup, but was sick of essentially sleeping on a piece of plywood every night. 10 hours til pickup!

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
Old 09-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #14

One thing I forget was the door handle bar for the screen door. Instead of trying to grab the little sliding thing to close the screen door, just grab the bar. Simple to install, and it makes using that door easier.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #15

I installed a round bubble level on the TT tong right in front of the jack. Installed LED lights throughout the TT. I also purchased a variety of Command hooks. I have them in the shower to hang wet items like rain jackets and towels. I have a few on the exterior next to the door to hang jackets and the dog’s tie out, a few (inside) above the door to hang keys. There are a few more scattered around the TT. One tip if you want to place them on the wood paneling you will need to wipe that spot with a little “Goof-off” to remove some kind of coating, otherwise the hook will fall once some weight is added. Those are the best things I purchased.

Some of the best things I did; was to remove the wood panel under the sofa, this is where we keep our shoes. Removed the false panel under the bathroom sink, this area is where we keep our chemicals. I added wire shelving to the rear wardrobe cabinet. Added power points to each bunk ends for a light/fan combo. I also removed the drawer from under the dinette. Plus a few other things.

What I purchased was minor compared to how we made the TT more useful.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #16

I added a Dirt Devil central vac a few weeks ago. How did we ever live without it?? LOL It is such an easy install and all you need to keep with you is the wand to vacuum with. LOVE it!!!! Storage for the wand is much less than an upright vac.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #17

Has anyone swapped out their electrical outlets for these with USB ports?

http://www.newertech.com/products/power2u.php
Jpetrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #18

Rather than change the entire outlet I purchased a receptacle that plugs into the lower outlet on the existing ac bux and has 2 USB ports plus 2 ac outlets. Works great and it includes a surge protector.

2016 Jayco x213
2012 Toyota Tundra
Mainenebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainenebula View Post
Rather than change the entire outlet I purchased a receptacle that plugs into the lower outlet on the existing ac bux and has 2 USB ports plus 2 ac outlets. Works great and it includes a surge protector.

I like that as well.....thanks
Jpetrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #20

I've bought the "essentials", but the best things we've bought for our x20e are the queen mattress toppers from Sam's Club and they are spectacular! 2 1/2 inches of real memory foam and are amazingly comfortable! I also installed a cover for the stove since we're low on counter space and it's been quite handy. I also installed a crossbar pull handle for the inside of the screen door and had a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the bottom of the screen (attached with velcro tabs) so the dogs to tear through the screen. I'm pretty sure this was the most expensive year for us but now we're set!
joeybear is offline   Reply With Quote