Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2015, 04:25 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to LeannDi
Torque Wrench Specs for X17A

Does anyone know all of the specs for the torque wrench needed for the X17A? I've heard 100 foot pounds and 125 foot pounds. Also, what size fits over the lug nuts?

Thank you!!
Leann
LeannDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:06 AM   #2

LeannDi, I see no one has answered the same question I have. I have a 4 way lug wrench that the 13/16 side fits but just barely. And using it will mare the chrome finish. Upon checking my owner's manual, it states...do not use a 4 way or any other type of wrench that doesn't measure torque pressure. So I will try my rachet set to see what fits and plan on picking up a torque wrench today. Big road trip tomorrow!! Best that this newbie can do. Good Luck.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #3

Yes, Leanndi, a 13/16 rachet nut fits over my lug nuts. Now to pick up a long handle torque wrench. (longer handle gives better leverage.)
Old 07-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

Here's a link to an online Jayco owner's manual. It's not your trailer, but page 96 contains a lug nut torque spec chart that should address your wheels. Different size wheels, the wheel material (steel/aluminum/chrome), and the number of lug nuts makes a difference.

http://www.jayco.com/files/downloads...ilename_83.pdf

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #5

....and you are going to carry a heavy, precision instrument with you 100% of the time?

Seems silly.

Buy a good long 1/2" drive breaker bar along with the torque wrench and correct socket.

- Torque the lugs to spec on in the driveway.
- Get a feel for how tight the lugs are with the breaker bar.
- Carry the breaker bar to swap to the spare tire by the side of the road.
- Re-torque the lugs after getting home and having the flat fixed.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
....and you are going to carry a heavy, precision instrument with you 100% of the time?

Seems silly.

Buy a good long 1/2" drive breaker bar along with the torque wrench and correct socket.

- Torque the lugs to spec on in the driveway.
- Get a feel for how tight the lugs are with the breaker bar.
- Carry the breaker bar to swap to the spare tire by the side of the road.
- Re-torque the lugs after getting home and having the flat fixed.
So call me silly. But I carry a click-type torque wrench with extension and socket in the pass-thru storage of my trailer. Came in handy a few years back when I had to change a tire at Fort Wilderness, Disney World, then drive 950 miles home. I torqued the wheel there, then found it needed torqued again at a rest area about 100 miles north.

And I would recommend a 3/4" drive socket, extension, and ratchet. That's what is required for torque wrenches that have settings up to 150 ft lbs.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 07-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #7

Daham, Mr. Scoutr2, what a big wrench you have!

I've got so many tools and the skills to use them, I deliberately choose only take the bare minimum to get the rig to safety.

I totally agree that proper torqueing of fasteners (both critical and non-critical) is important. But keeping an expensive tool in the trailer for insurance is overkill.

With a 1/2" drive 30" breaker bar (in the case with the jack, stowed in the pass-thru) I can torque the lugs to around 100ft/lbs. Enough to keep the wheels attached until we get home.

Then I'll dig out the precision tools to make all needed repairs properly.

And proud of it!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #8

I think I paid all of $20 for that torque wrench at Harbor Freight. It's not the most precision of torque wrenches, but it gets the job done.

I leave a lot of tools at home, too, but carry a tool box in the bed of my truck with enough tools to take care of most repairs when out camping. Whether I'm gone for a weekend a few miles from home or for three weeks and 5000 miles (some vacations have been that long), I will have a better time if I can fix a leaky water line inside the trailer, tighten up door hinges, tighten up hitch bolts, or properly torque a wheel when I change one out. I've had to do all those tasks at one time or another. I consider correct wheel torque and correct torque on hitch parts to be critical when I'm towing $35K behind me - for protecting my investment, and for my safety and that of my loved ones and others on the road. I have seen the ugly results of lackadaisical maintenance and it ain't pretty. At the very least, it can prevent not being able to use the water system or some other system in my trailer.

Everyone has their own opinion on what are necessities when going out on the road. You have yours and I have mine - which seems to agree with a few of the others responding here. Someone else made mention of a torque wrench and you insinuated it was silly to carry one in the trailer. I call it being prepared. It only weighs about 3-4 pounds. It stows easily in a plastic case. I check the torque on my lug nuts every now and then, and I always find a couple that need a tweak. I just don't like tempting fate.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 07-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #9

I did't insinuate nothing, I sincerely believe that carrying an entire workshop worth of tools is overkill. Unless you are in the business of doing roadside repairs.

I'm not in that business. I enjoy maintaining, repairing and modifying my cars, truck, tractors, trailer, etc. AS A HOBBY.

My daily commute is over 100 miles. The only tools on board are the factory kit to change out a flat tire, my pen knife and a cell phone.

I decided years ago not to worry about sudden catastrophic failure of every system. And to try and carry everything needed to fix them.

By keeping up with maintenance items and being mindful of small issues (and dealing with them while the are still small) I can do weeks of traveling with only minimal tools.

If someone wants to load themselves down, they are free to do so. The guy I bought my first trailer from had the entire trunk of his Corolla packed with a booster battery, 12v compressor, several sets of wrenches and quite a bit I couldn't identify. Short of an Antarctic expedition I will never travel that way.

And proud of it!
Old 07-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #10

I also keep a torque wrench handy to check before each trip. After installing the wheels this spring to repack the bearings it took 4 checks at different stops before all nuts were at their proper torque. Not all would be loose but the odd one needed tightening. That's why they tell you to check at different intervals when a wheel has been removed.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #11

Mike837go you've got 3 replies and you still didn't answer LeannDi's question!