Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #1

Tongue Jack

Our hybrid is under 3500 lbs. I need to purchase an electric tongue jack. We went to our local dealer and they want $225.00 for a jack. We found one at Harbor Freight for $89.00
Has anyone ever used a Harbor Freight jack?
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #2

Pretty sure a lot of people have. What do the reviews say? I used HF tools in my company (manufacturing) knowing that they weren't Porter Cable or Delta, but at one third the price, I could burn through three before I would equal the life of the high price spread. I'd question how long you need it to work and based on the reviews see if it's a cost effective choice. As you found out, they all fail...some sooner than others and without warning.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:48 AM   #3

I have a few HF tools and haven't had any problems. The jack is a fairly simple item, easily produced. I'd just be certain there is a manual option if it did fail.

On the other hand, considering the cost of a vacation, is saving what is probably less than a tank of gas worth it?
Old 08-06-2021, 10:59 AM   #4

We don’t vacation anymore we are retired and every day is Saturday!
Old 08-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #5

I’m a pretty firm believer in the adage “you get what you pay for” and I’ve dropped a fair amount on tools at HF. For things that aren’t critical like tool bags, paint brushes, wrenches etc, they are great. I’ve even had pretty good luck with other power tools like pressure washers and buffers. Read the reviews — they usually are pretty accurate. But their stuff is cheap for a reason.

For me, even if I could get three tongue jacks for the price of a quality one, it wouldn’t be worth the frustration of it breaking and having to replace it. YMMV.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #6

I did not get a very good response from everyone on Harbor Freight so I think I will let that go. I have had very good luck with there pro tools and there tool chest. But I think I will stop there! Thank you everyone. I will keep looking.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Team

I would not hesitate to shop around and get one that will do the job. They can make a job less stressful.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:34 PM   #8

Check the Amazon Warehouse section, I purchased a Barker VIP 3500 jack for $80, new in the box which was a bit beat up but had never been opened. They always seem to have several different brands available at great prices.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would not hesitate to shop around and get one that will do the job. They can make a job less stressful.
Nah, I have my original hand crank jack and it makes your arm look like this! LOL
Attached Images

😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:57 PM   #10

A tongue jack is one of those that could leave you in a rough situation... If it strips, you can't raise up to hitch up. I think I'd opt for one OTHER than harbor freight.

Don't get me wrong, HF tools and products, at least on the ones that won't ruin a trip or set you back in your schedule IF they fail, can be great buys, but I draw the line there.

P.S. when it comes to things like a tongue jack, I'd opt for OVERKILL. If you have a tongue jack requirement of 1,000 lbs, I'd opt for double that. It only means that the jack speed is a bit slower - but the gears will last longer if it's not working as hard to raise a lighter load.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:41 AM   #11

Go with Bulldog Tongue Jack. They’re great. Just be careful when retracting that you stop as soon as it hits the stop.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #12

I love Harbor Freight, but as others have mentioned, I'd rather use something else when it's a critical tool that MUST always work.

I put a Husky Brute on my TT. Ball bearing drive, and came with an auto-reset breaker (instead of a fuse). I over-spec'd it for my tongue weight because I had to lift the rear of the truck to get my WDH bars on, and it worked great. My only regret was not getting the one with the remote, and it's really not much of a "regret" as much as a "gee, that would've been nice sometimes" thing...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:07 PM   #13

I have to jack up the trailer all most to the top to make it so I can set the leveling bars so that it is set on the fifth chain like to be able to set the bars to level the trailer.this just about kills my back.
I know now to pay more and get more.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #14

My prejudice on Harbor Freight and other cheap tools:

If it's a battery or a cutting tool (blade, bit, etc.), I go for the good stuff.

But when it comes to basic motors, jacks, hand tools, and so on, their products are generally up to snuff. My experience includes a pressure washer, drill press, hydraulic jacks, various hand trucks, tongue dolly, and, and, and. None ever failed or disappointed.

So, a tongue jack is likely to give satisfactory service.

P.S. Consumer Reports recently reviewed inverter generators, and they rated the Harbor Freight Predator 2KW inverter generator second only to the Honda, and the Honda cost significantly more than double.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #15

I've used the Harbor Freight jack for three years with no issues. Highly recommended.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:51 PM   #16

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
Our hybrid is under 3500 lbs. I need to purchase an electric tongue jack. We went to our local dealer and they want $225.00 for a jack. We found one at Harbor Freight for $89.00
Has anyone ever used a Harbor Freight jack?
Harbor Freight has them or you can order online
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #17

Whatever U buy, recommend you make sure it has fittings for (and you carry tool for) manual operation if it fails... read too many stories... TIP: and make sure REAR stabilizer are RAISED before jacking Tongue :-)
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:59 PM   #18

I had an electric tongue years ago and we purchased it at a camping world. It was good for 2 years. We unhooked the trailer from our truck then leveled it. Everything was fine. When we started to brake camp the jack did not work. The manual wrench worked to get us home.
Camping World got us a new motor at our expense.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
Whatever U buy, recommend you make sure it has fittings for (and you carry tool for) manual operation if it fails... read too many stories... TIP: and make sure REAR stabilizer are RAISED before jacking Tongue :-)
That "Tip" sounds as if it was learned the hard way.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:36 PM   #20

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
That "Tip" sounds as if it was learned the hard way.
Actually, honestly= NO, I just READ a LOT of Posts :-)
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote