Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #1

Exclamation TOW VEHICLE Mirrors

Hello! I am picking up my new 2019 Jayco x23e on Saturday and just realized that I meant to look into Mirror extensions for my TV and completely forgot!!! Am I screwed?
I drive 2008 Toyota Sequoia, V8, 5.7L if that matters.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!
Leningradka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:46 AM   #2

This is what I have on my 2012 Toyota Tundra. It works and doesn't break the bank. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190919-064425_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	53421

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:10 AM   #3

If you are planning on staying with pulling a travel trailer, don’t fool around with all of the clip-ons or other partially effective solutions... like I did. I finally took someone’s advice and spent the money on the McKesh mirrors. No finer towing mirror, especially if you add the convex spotting mirror. As good a mirror view (or better) as I get while driving full size fire apparatus! Beware of a knock-off of these that Camping World (and others) sell. My buddy tried them, and after three seasons of mirror vibration, and getting out a wrench out for readjustment at every fuel or pee stop, he finally sold them for $10 at a garage sale and bought McKesh as well. Once initially set up, easy on and off, too... You won’t be sorry with the safety investment that they provide, especially if you are thinking of any lengthy trips.

https://www.hensleymfg.com/products/mckesh-mirrors/

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #4

Expensive, but if you can afford it, checkout Etrailer https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towi...ID=20084032860....1A Auto also has mirrors...I think the Tundra uses the same mirror. More options to research
Future Projects : Kitchen faucet w pulldown sprayer DONE , bathroom faucet and shower head DONE, dimmer for awning lights DONE, Clear door window kit DONE, internal&external fridge fans DONE
denn888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #5

By law you do need to be able to see down along side, and be able to see the back corner of your TT.

I like the looks of the E-trailer mirrors Denn888 posted. Big bucks.

I use a set of Milenco Aero3 towing mirrors. They are easy to install and very stable. The only downfall, every time you put them one you have to manually adjust them. Not a big deal.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #6

I use CIPA custom fit extensions. Reasonably priced, no shake, and they look great.

That said I looked at their web site and they don't appear to have them for the Sequoia.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
If you are planning on staying with pulling a travel trailer, don’t fool around with all of the clip-ons or other partially effective solutions... like I did. I finally took someone’s advice and spent the money on the McKesh mirrors. No finer towing mirror, especially if you add the convex spotting mirror. As good a mirror view (or better) as I get while driving full size fire apparatus! Beware of a knock-off of these that Camping World (and others) sell. My buddy tried them, and after three seasons of mirror vibration, and getting out a wrench out for readjustment at every fuel or pee stop, he finally sold them for $10 at a garage sale and bought McKesh as well. Once initially set up, easy on and off, too... You won’t be sorry with the safety investment that they provide, especially if you are thinking of any lengthy trips.

https://www.hensleymfg.com/products/mckesh-mirrors/
^^ These

Or these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The CIPA from Amazon is, as far as I can see, identical to the Hensley.

I tried a handful of other "clip-on" mirrors on my past two tow vehicles before upgrading to the CIPA. There is NO COMPARISON in viewing area and angle.

I am happy now to have integrated towing mirrors on my Titan, but I would buy these again if I needed extended mirrors and at ~$55 they are a bargain.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #8

When I bought my Toyota Tundra in 2007 over half the trucks on the lot were equipped with Tow Mirrors. Today you almost never see any new Tundras with tow mirrors. Most people that buy trucks intend to pull something behind them and tow mirrors are an absolute necessity. Before the Tundra I had a '97 Silverado that I was forced to use the clip-on mirrors that were almost useless due to their size and constant vibration. If you can't see the traffic behind your trailer you are using the wrong mirrors.

From my observations on the highway it seems that the Ford and Rams have the best factory tow mirrors. I will never buy another truck without them.

My suggestion to the OP is to spend the money and go with the ones Denn888 posted a link to. Then spend another wad of cash on a top of the line surge protector.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
Site Team

The above ^^^^are all good choices, and after we experimented with a couple of different strap-on-the-mirror brands, we bought these https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Grand...-p/23-0022.htm for our 2010 Tundra. They clamp on quickly, and vibrate the least from the ones we tried.

I wanted the Tundra tow mirrors, but in order to get into the garage, I would've had to fold in at least one to clear the sides.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The above ^^^^are all good choices, and after we experimented with a couple of different strap-on-the-mirror brands, we bought these https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Grand...-p/23-0022.htm for our 2010 Tundra. They clamp on quickly, and vibrate the least from the ones we tried.

I wanted the Tundra tow mirrors, but in order to get into the garage, I would've had to fold in at least one to clear the sides.
I have had those for 6 years and love them.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post

That's my wife's job when we pull into the garage. I only need to fold in one side. If I ever get another truck it will have power folding mirrors. The factory Tundra mirrors today are the same as they were in 2007. The bottom convex mirror is superb and eliminates all blind spots, while the top mirror is super big.

Toyota seems to think nobody tows with their trucks, therefore there is no need to put tow mirrors on their trucks anymore. A deal-breaker for me when I shop for a new truck.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #12

You can find two types at Camping World. One type uses rubber "bands" to hold the extensions to each mirror. They actually work, but have a little vibration. The second type, more expensive, are ABS plastic and slide over the mirrors. They are more vehicle specific and probably have to be ordered. Lastly, you can probably buy the ex8*nsions of the first type from the dealer. In 1988 when I got my first trailer, I didn't know about extensions, and no one told me. so when I decided to change lanes I swung right slightly then left to move the trailer out of the way of the left mirror to see what was behind me. Good luck.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #13

I like my Milenco aero mirrows on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. There is a little vibration but they stick out far enough to see well around my trailers.

I add blind spot mirror stick ons to my regular mirror and the combination really work well to see in blind spots. I bought mine on Amazon. Ampper blind spot mirror. They are square, work better than round ones by a long shot. Took off my round ones and tossed them.

200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #14

I agree with RogerR.
The Milenco Aero3 Towing Mirrors work great.
They can even stay on when the power mirrors fold in.
At least they can on my Jeep Grand Cherokee.
DavidAUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #15

I may lose my "manly camper" card for this, but I use the Camco ones that suction cup to your existing side mirror.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25664-F...dp/B004809X9W/

I've only had one fail me, and it was because I over-tightened it. There's some shake on the driver's side one, but not the passenger side. I have no idea why that is. Overall, they work completely as intended. I tow my 17z with a 2015 Pathfinder, and it's hard to find a better tow mirror for that model.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #16

Speaking of expensive tow mirrors...I was driving on a narrow 4-lane (2-lane each way)city street (without TT) and a telephone pole leaning towards the street with a street sign (no parking 7am-9am) on it and my right mirror clipped the sign. After reading the reviews on the 'after market mirrors' I replaced it with an OEM tow mirror and it cost me over $500 for just one mirror. ($450 plus labor)
Later that week the city moved the sign onto a different pole because I think buses were having the same problem.
Needless to say I'm much more aware of my width limits!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
I may lose my "manly camper" card for this, but I use the Camco ones that suction cup to your existing side mirror.
Haha, now why would that get you to lose your man card?

Thanks for all the help. For a quick and (relatively) cheap solution, I just bought these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like that they slide on instead of clip on. Lets see how well they hold up
Leningradka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leningradka View Post
Haha, now why would that get you to lose your man card?

Thanks for all the help. For a quick and (relatively) cheap solution, I just bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like that they slide on instead of clip on. Lets see how well they hold up
I'm happy with mine for the last two years I've owned them. They came with my truck when I bought it two years ago. I like some of the other ideas here in this thread and may explore those when I pony up to a 3/4 or one ton and a bigger camper.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #19

Just another vote here for the Milenco Aero mirrors. They are the best temporary ones we have found.
Jgeiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #20

I found new OEM trailer mirrors for my 2015 Tundra on ebay for only $200.00. Came from a dealer. They slide out and can be adjusted with your dash buttons. I did add spot mirrors in the upper corner to improve blind spots.
jmurri is offline   Reply With Quote