Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #41

depends. I suspect we will need 4 WD to extract the TT for our upcoming journey to FL.
Depends on where you live. We are expecting 36 inches of snow that will be on a two inch thick sheet of ice that has been here for a month.
Sunday is snow day and also game day for the Patriots so let it snow!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 PM   #42

As someone else posted "you do not need 4 wheel drive until you need it" and we have been in a few situations with the trailer where we needed it.
If it has not been mentioned, never pull your trailer with transmission setting in 4WD AUTO. Our GM tech guy told me the weight of the trailer will trick the sensor to kick into 4WD when it is not required hence causing undue wear on components.
Midicat60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
You made me remember the good old days....had to dig out the high school yearbook. Had me a '80 Ford F250 with the 460 big block, suspension and body lift on 44" Groundhogs. Miss that truck, but DON'T miss the 5 MPG!!
NICE!!

My brother restored a Toyota FJ40 when he was in HS. That was a sweet ride. Nothing like hopping out into knee deep sloppy mud to lock the hubs!

Funny thing about that old 'burb I mentioned is that myself, my brother and my dad all stuck that truck at different times (some of us multiples). And sticking a Suburban is an altogether different kind of pain!! Despite all of that, it was still one of the best trucks we ever owned. And we beat the SNOT out of that thing ... for YEARS. I think we bought it in '89 or '90 from my dad's rental fleet. It was a Colorado rental truck. My dad finally sold it I think in '02 or so? We saw it running around for a few years after that too, but my dad eventually moved and we lost track of it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #44

Speaking of 16 and invincible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Totally agree.

If you get cocky and say "I have 4wd, I can get in/out of there!" without the required skills and judgement, you can definitely get yourself in trouble. I stuck an '88 GMC Suburban (ETA, yes, it was 4wd) in mud up to the axles. The tires were literally spinning in air. Had a guy in a modded Blazer yank me out. Another learning experience on many levels including never move with the doors open. Yup, bent the driver door right up along the front fender, never worked right again even after we had it repaired. That's what you get when you're 16 and think you're invincible.

If you have 2wd, you're less likely to take a chance and get in trouble in a lot of cases. Not me, but the more reasonable among us... you'd think I've learned by now!
When I was 16, I tried to impress a girl by doing e-brake drifting turns on a slippery winter day. Not 10 minutes after I had picked her up from her parent's house, I lost control going around a corner and broke the rear wheel right off my dad's car by hitting the curb. She got out, looked at what I'd done, shook her head and walked home. That was our first and last date LOL.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #45

That is a truck indeed.

In the Tennessee clay I have just off my driveway I wouldn't go near it when wet or after a rain, sometimes that meant a 7 point turn in the old truck to turn around.

I'll let the new truck get off the gravel when it's wet and it will lose traction at times. Has it made me less careful? A smidge but, do I worry less? Yes. It's only something I've used for low speed / parking. It is new to me.
cantupshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #46

yes, we pulled our 23B HTT with a 2008 V6 Chevy Silverado W/T with no issues. Only had to downshift going up or down big hill on 75S in Kentucky! Loved her, but the cab was only regular, and we like to travel with others.

New truck is a 2017 Silverado Crew Cab 4WD--feels like we're traveling with nothing behind!
2010 Jayco Jayfeather 23B HTT
jf23bcampnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #47

This is basically what I was wondering also. We just bought an X23B. I have F-150 SC Sport 2.7 Eco. Living in C Fla not much snow or mountains so I figured it shouldn't be too bad.

2018 X23B Jay Feather
2016 Ford F-150 SC Sport 2.7 Eco
CFla Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #48

Send a message via MSN to Tonyzsi
Our last trip of last year we pulled into camp in the pouring rain. Our sites were in a low area and there was literally 1-3" of flowing water going through most of our entire sites. We all had 4WD and 2 of us had mud tires. We pulled in ok. A 3rd guy with us did not have mud tires and even with 4WD he had a lot of trouble getting into his spot. He had to back up about 5X and get a running start and was spinning all 4 wheels to pull into the spot. I would recomend getting 4WD in case you ever run into this.
Tonyzsi is offline   Reply With Quote